Menu

Asynchronous or 2+ day/week online freshman science course options?

Good afternoon! 

I am wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for an online/computer-based (but textbook-supplemented) freshman-level science course--(ie, Biology, Earth Science, General Science, Physical Science)--that is either: 1) asynchronous/self-paced OR 2) involves 2+ days of virtual/live instruction per week. We have discovered that 1 day of live instruction with no other support all week is simply not a good fit for our son, and we're looking into better options for him.  

Thank you!

• Like 1

IMO one day a week of any subject is a very bad way to go. Too much time between classes. It would be the same if the subject was Spanish and not Science.  Aschyronous courses are more difficult, but to a disciplined student offer the most flexibility.

ETA: And if it is one day a week and the student misses a class for some reason, very bad results from that. 

Edited by Lanny
add ETA

5 hours ago, Lanny said:

IMO one day a week of any subject is a very bad way to go. Too much time between classes. It would be the same if the subject was Spanish and not Science.  Aschyronous courses are more difficult, but to a disciplined student offer the most flexibility.

ETA: And if it is one day a week and the student misses a class for some reason, very bad results from that. 

You do realize that the vast majority of once a week classes have components that are meant to be done in between? It's like having an asynchronous course but with an additional live component once a week. 

Derek Owens has zero live components, so that doesn't seem like a good option. (ETA: D'oh, misunderstood that...)

Asynchronous courses can be excellent. Live classes that are once a week sometimes don't have much else to them beyond the discussion in class. Also fine, depending on the subjects and goals. Some kids really need live interaction with the teacher as part of their motivation.

OP, you would be best off using your community college. You're describing my son's community college science class. Twice a week live meetings. You're basically asking for a community college course. There are AP science courses from various homeschool providers that include a live meeting. Blue Tent, Taylor Made, Potter's school, and many others offer AP sciences with a once a week class. But also, the year is in full swing now.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 4:49 PM, Lanny said:

Yes--I agree. That is why I am on the prowl for high school science options that involve asynchronous learning OR 2 or more live classes per week. 🙂

• Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 8:32 PM, Farrar said:

You do realize that the vast majority of once a week classes have components that are meant to be done in between? It's like having an asynchronous course but with an additional live component once a week. 

Derek Owens has zero live components, so that doesn't seem like a good option. (ETA: D'oh, misunderstood that...)

Asynchronous courses can be excellent. Live classes that are once a week sometimes don't have much else to them beyond the discussion in class. Also fine, depending on the subjects and goals. Some kids really need live interaction with the teacher as part of their motivation.

OP, you would be best off using your community college. You're describing my son's community college science class. Twice a week live meetings. You're basically asking for a community college course. There are AP science courses from various homeschool providers that include a live meeting. Blue Tent, Taylor Made, Potter's school, and many others offer AP sciences with a once a week class. But also, the year is in full swing now.

Thanks! Yes, he's in Honors Biology with The Potter's School right now, just finishing up week 4.  My husband and I were not really very pleased with the once-a-week structure once the class began (live and learn!) and were seriously considering having him drop it and pick up something else, but our son has asked to continue, so we are honoring his request.  

Thanks all!  My son is in Honors Biology at The Potter's School right now, just finishing up week 4.  Having a live class once a week turned out to be a bit of a drag; the instructor doesn't really have time to "teach" and answer questions, and the teaching feels a bit watered-down (especially given the heft of the book itself).  It's just far too compressed.  My husband and I considered having him drop the course and so I was investigating asynchronous options, but our son has since asked to continue the course, so we're honoring that.  He's a determined guy. 

(His Honors French 2 course with TPS is fabulous so far, though; it's 2x per week and the instructor is very well-organized!)

This is our very first foray into online learning, so we're figuring out what works well and what to avoid.  What To Avoid = Once a Week Honors Science Instruction. 😉 Now we know. 

I appreciate the suggestion of community college.  I think I may look into that for chemistry.  I think that more frequent in-person instruction plus the in-person labs would be beneficial, plus face-to-face access with the professor for follow-up questions, etc.  

• Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 8:32 PM, Farrar said:

1-Yep--this is accurate!  My son is doing all the readings, study quizzes, interactive online activities, etc. himself throughout the week. 

2-Yep! Also accurate!  This isn't working well for us because my son is a deep thinker who does like asking questions, having discussions, and getting answers, and the live component isn't really fulfilling that very well at this point in the course. Maybe it'll improve...!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pehp said:

What To Avoid = Once a Week Honors Science Instruction. 😉 

In many cases, this is unfortunately true. But I also believe (hope) that it can be done quite successfully! If the teacher is willing to interact with students outside of that class time (via discussion board, email, or the like), the student may find himself in a very engaging, active, challenging course. 🤭

• Like 4

11 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

In many cases, this is unfortunately true. But I also believe (hope) that it can be done quite successfully! If the teacher is willing to interact with students outside of that class time (via discussion board, email, or the like), the student may find himself in a very engaging, active, challenging course. 🤭

I am sure that is true!  We're not experiencing that level of engagement, but hopeful that maybe the tide will turn. 

• 2 weeks later...