Menu

ACT Test this morning didn't go as planned

My 16 yo took the ACT test this morning at a local private school.

I was starting to freak out when she didn't come out when a whole bunch of students did. She was 20 minutes late coming out. This DD is the one who faints easily, so I was having a panic attack in the parking lot since she didn't have her phone. 

The reason she didn't come out on time? The proctor in her room was blatantly cheating and she was reporting it. Apparently, the proctor would walk around the room periodically, and she'd point out one boy's errors to him. DD said she didn't even attempt to hide it. DD thought she might be related to the boy or his teacher. 

Also, she didn't let them drink any water or have their snacks they brought. Which really cranks me off because DD does faint easily. 

She is very dizzy now, but she didn't faint and did the right thing. I'm proud of her. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

Holy crap. Where did she report it?

Apparently, there was a higher up at the front desk - she said she was about 3rd in line to speak to him, so she guesses that several people reported it. 

She also followed this link to report it: https://www.act.org/content/act/en/report-cheating.html

• Like 6

2 hours ago, daijobu said:

Congratulations to you dd for standing up for integrity.  I wonder why no other students in the room did the same?  Is there any risk of retaliation?  I might escalate nationally and watch out for this.    

I doubt if there will be any blowback to her - she's not known at the school and several kids talked to the "head guy" following the test. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, historically accurate said:

I doubt if there will be any blowback to her - she's not known at the school and several kids talked to the "head guy" following the test. 

I wouldn't worry about blowback, but I would worry that her scores might be canceled. It's possible the ACT will chuck the whole room's scores.

• Sad 4

Just now, Farrar said:

I wouldn't worry about blowback, but I would worry that her scores might be canceled. It's possible the ACT will chuck the whole room's scores.

We did discuss that on the way home.

She's ok with it - she was taking the test to improve her math score so she didn't have to take the Accuplacer, she figures she can just take the Accuplacer. I, on the other hand, may not be so happy...

• Like 3