Menu

Chalazion on the eye. Have you successfully gotten rid of one?

Indigo Blue

I’ve been looking deeper to find out what is wrong with my eyelid. I’m pretty confident it’s a chalazion. It’s been there awhile, but it’s always been very small. I think there may be some blepharitis going on, which may be the underlying cause of the chalazion. I want to treat it as such with conservative home remedies before mentioning it to my eye doctor, because I’m afraid he might want to invert my eyelid, give me a shot, and lance it. I think this is last resort, though.

Anyway, I’ve been trying all the things. Hot compress, eyelid massage, and eyelid scrubs. There has been some success, and it’s only been two days of this. 

The amazing thing is……hyperclorous acid spray. I’ve had dry eyes forever. They literally glue themselves shut at night. This spray gave me bright, clean eyes after using it one night. My eyes have been so comfortable today. I’m impressed. 

This acid treats gland dysfunction, blepharitis, demodex mites of the lashes, and dry eyes. It’s for anyone for every day use for good eye health, but I think it’s going to get my eyes straightened out fast. 

As far as the chalazion, I’m adding Bragg’s vinegar into the mix as an eyelid treatment. If I have good luck getting rid of the chalazion, I’ll keep the spray and lid scrubs as every day preventative for eye health, as these conditions often return.

So, I’m just posting to sing the praises of this spray and also to see if others have had success treating a chalazion.

No eye drop has ever helped my dry eyes. This spray is awesome. It’s role in treating a chalazion is to kill off bacteria overgrowth, and to treat inflamed eyes to allow the glands to open and be healthier (which consequently is what then helps dry eyes).

I just learned all this, and I’m hopeful these things will help.

• Like 1

Yes, we've had good luck here, though my DH had one super persistent one that had to be lanced, but it was a really bad one that lasted a long time. It was really large. And yes, staying on top of lid washes is a big help if you are prone to them. We've found hot soaks to be the most helpful thing once they've started. 

I hope you can get this one cleared up.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Ps—a large chalazion can take weeks to clear even though it popped up overnight.

I can’t imagine an opthamologist recommending rupture of it. Literally has never come up in our decade + of seeing opthamologists in several states. You have a blocked gland, not a pussy infection.

I had one that was termed a chalazion by the ophthalmologist but it got huge and I did have to have it "removed" (maybe it was lanced..I'm not sure exactly what they were doing, other than it was traumatic to be poked at with sharp objects near my eye....LOL).  It was sooooo big though and kind of got in the way of normal eyelid function.  It's weird, I had trouble with them for a few years culminating in the huge one.  Then none for about a decade, and now I have one again that is stubborn but not too huge or painful.  I can't figure out why I started having trouble again, and the regular eye dr I see for my contacts prescription had no idea either! I am wary of going back to the ophthalmologist since I DID have to have it removed the last time I went.  I have only tried hot compresses on it, so I need to try some other things. 

Just now, Indigo Blue said:

It’s for eyelids only, but I am careful! That does make one a bit nervous. I wasn’t going to try it and thought it might be woo, but there are so many success stories using ACV. 

the thing about ACV is that it has probiotics in it. I'd maybe look for a less acidic probiotic source, personally. An acid burn on the cornea sounds miserable. 

• Thanks 1

There are several brands you can order from Amazon. Ocusoft makes a spray. It’s called Ocusoft Hyperclor. You just close your eyes and pump two spray mists over each eye. I keep my eyes closed until it’s dry. It only takes a minute. The bottle lasts for one month and you need to discard any unused spray after 30 days. It’s not cheap, but I would spend this much on a good vitamin, so if this proves to be helpful long term, it will be worth it. It’s supposed to improve contact lens intolerance. 

• Thanks 1

Funny, I was just thinking of this topic the other day.  I had persistent ones 20 years ago and had a large one removed from the ophthalmologist. When they are using sharp objects next to your eyeball, you move nothing, not even a breath!!  I was so happy to get out of there when  I was done and thought I would never have to see them again.    Then, I got another one...that was when we had just gotten a home computer, so I began my research. A friend mentioned her son used L-Lysine for a cold sore, and his chalazion cleared up. So I researched that and found that foods containing arginine reduced the absorption of Lysine, one of the essential amino acids. Foods high in arginine:  chocolate, nuts...all things I loved. 

So after 3 months of dealing with the chalazion, I went cold turkey off the chocolate. It was the Christmas season, and not easy to do. Maybe I laid off PB too.  And I started on L-lysine tablets. I didn't go overboard, just took 1 a day. And each day, the chalazion got smaller, and smaller until it went away on its own.  I had a few start over the years, but Lysine takes care of it.  I rarely take Lysine now, and eat all kinds of nuts daily, chocolate in moderation, and I don't have a problem any more.    I am so glad I have never had to get another chalazion removed again.  Let food be thy medicine...

Regarding dry eyes:  Something I discovered quite by accident a few weeks ago, was that my blush, yes, my blush (Thrive brand) was causing eye irritation that felt like dryness.

My story that I was going to post on in  this forum as an FYI:  I was in the passenger seat of the car, reading. The sun was bright and I suddenly noticed I had all kinds of sparkles on the backs of my fingertips (smaller than glitter). We had just left an airbnb, so I knew I had not been in any kind of craft situation. Thinking about what it could be, I realized it must've been my blush, that was the only thing that would give me luminescence on my skin. Then I realized if my fingernails were sparkling, what do my fingertips look like? Sure enough, it was all over my hands.  You know, whenever you rub your face, scratch, whatever, the blush got on my fingertips.  And my eyes have been very irritated for a few years, so I naturally rub them. Guess where the sparkles went? Yep, into my eyes, and the irritation starts continued ..So I went cold turkey on the blush (darn, because I really liked it).  I have not had irritation since, because the blush I use now does not have those luminescence  ingredients or whatever that sparkles on my skin. Hope your dry eyes can be simply corrected as mine were by changing skin products!

• Like 1