Menu

Typing spelling words

What age? Spelling bee prep materials do this pretty neatly. They also provide the definition and word origin for the word on the page. 

One we like is SpellPundit, founded by a brother/sister who were both Scripps finalists. They offer a free module if you would like to check it out.  The “big name” in the field is Hexco. While DD has used quite a few Hexco products, she prefers the interface of SpellPundit. 

13 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

I want something that will speak a word so my child can type it. 

It can be some phenomenal and magical spelling program, a fancy way to use Quizlet that I don’t know about, etc. 

The best way might be to simply record yourself reading a list of words using Voice Recorder on your PC. Then you can simply scaffold in as much support as your child(ren) will need.

So, they might just need to hear the word one time so that they can type it. or you might create a set "script" that you follow for each word.

"The word is (pause)  ________"
"__________"
[syllabicate_________]
[A sentence that uses the word_________________]
[syllabicate_________ again]
"__________"

So, for example "rascal"
The word is (pause) rascal
ras-cal
Tom Sawyer is always making trouble for his Aunt Polly, he is a well-known rascal.
ras-cal
rascal

You can run through a list of words within a few minutes if you establish a script and have a source for the words themselves.
You can sit down and record a weeks worth of spelling words in less than an hour. If you name the files well, then you will be able to refer to them easily later and assign a list to a younger child or to reassign a list of words that you see being missed often.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mom2bee said:

The best way might be to simply record yourself reading a list of words using Voice Recorder on your PC. Then you can simply scaffold in as much support as your child(ren) will need.

So, they might just need to hear the word one time so that they can type it. or you might create a set "script" that you follow for each word.

"The word is (pause)  ________"
"__________"
[syllabicate_________]
[A sentence that uses the word_________________]
[syllabicate_________ again]
"__________"

So, for example "rascal"
The word is (pause) rascal
ras-cal
Tom Sawyer is always making trouble for his Aunt Polly, he is a well-known rascal.
ras-cal
rascal

You can run through a list of words within a few minutes if you establish a script and have a source for the words themselves.
You can sit down and record a weeks worth of spelling words in less than an hour. If you name the files well, then you will be able to refer to them easily later and assign a list to a younger child or to reassign a list of words that you see being missed often.

This is a great idea for many, I just need to minimize the mom input in the coming seasons. ♥️ Thank you for the suggestion!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bensonduck said:

What age? Spelling bee prep materials do this pretty neatly. They also provide the definition and word origin for the word on the page. 

One we like is SpellPundit, founded by a brother/sister who were both Scripps finalists. They offer a free module if you would like to check it out.  The “big name” in the field is Hexco. While DD has used quite a few Hexco products, she prefers the interface of SpellPundit. 

I’ll take a look. I want to hit some hard review for the 16yo, work with the 11yo, and start the 8yo and 10yo. Thank you for the direction!

On 6/30/2021 at 9:12 AM, EKS said:

Does Sequential Spelling have something like this now?

When I tried it several years ago it had errors in the first few levels so I gave up. It’s possible it’s been updated since then though.  

Edited by HeartString

• 2 weeks later...

Sequential Spelling has this, yes. I guess I didn't pay attention to the first levels since I didn't notice any errors lol, or they updated it, but you can buy a DVD that plays the word, gives an example, a pause, and then shows how to spell it before moving on to the next word. My kids like it well enough, it suits our purpose well.