Menu

Progressive/multi-focal contact lenses...thoughts or experiences?

popmom

Welp. I threw my back out today and can’t get out of bed—at least not without severe pain—So I’ve spent way too much time on my iPad, and I’ve discovered that I ((might)) be able to wear contact lenses again. If you’ve tried these “multi focal” contacts, how was it? Can you see and read as well as with progressive glasses? I really have never been super impressed with my glasses. They smudge/stay dirty ALL THE TIME. This definitely affects my ability to read stuff as I feel like I’m straining. Right now I’m using my iPad to do this, and I just have to take my glasses off. Progressive glasses definitely aren’t all they’re cracked up to be. 

I use a regular lens in one eye and a multifocal in the other eye. Works beautifully for me. Two multifocal resulted in compromised distance vision, but I could not read easily or use my phone without frustration with two regular contact lenses in place. I use the Total 1 Dailies for each type. So comfortable.

Edited by GoodGrief3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, GoodGrief3 said:

I use a regular lens in one eye and a multifocal in the other eye. Works beautifully for me. Two multifocal resulted in compromised distance vision, but I could not read easily or use my phone without frustration with two regular contact lenses in place. I use the Total 1 Dailies for each type. So comfortable.

Thank you! I didn’t know that was an option!

10 minutes ago, GoodGrief3 said:

This is what I do (maybe I got the idea from you?). I started with both multifocal, but kept having a problem with one contact and remembered someone saying they did one of each, so tried a regular one in the problem eye and it worked great. A bonus is the regular contact is much cheaper, so it's not costing me as much. I never had a sense of my eyes needing to learn where to focus. I just suddenly could see well both near and far without needing to use any readers. I still don't understand how they work so well, but for me, they do.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KSera said:

This is what I do (maybe I got the idea from you?). I started with both multifocal, but kept having a problem with one contact and remembered someone saying they did one of each, so tried a regular one in the problem eye and it worked great. A bonus is the regular contact is much cheaper, so it's not costing me as much. I never had a sense of my eyes needing to learn where to focus. I just suddenly could see well both near and far without needing to use any readers. I still don't understand how they work so well, but for me, they do.

So does it matter which eye has the multi focal vs regular?

I love them. My Dr did mention that it is a smallish percentage that can get used to them.  So he was pleased they worked for me. I despise glasses.  They just don't work for me, even single vision. I've worn contacts since my teens and even dealing with just adding readers on top was annoying. I am so happy with these.   

I may try the one in each eye though as they are very pricey.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, popmom said:

Not that I know of. I haven’t seen my eye doctor since I started doing it this way. I’ll have to see what he thinks of it. It’s been almost a year though, and no problems. 

• Like 1

My dd wore multifocal contacts for a year and liked them. They're not as *perfect* a script as what you get with glasses and she finally just went back to glasses. 

I use two pairs of progressives, a regular and a workspace. The workspace (what I'm wearing right now!) are mostly near vision with just a tiny sprig of distance at the top. Work great. So if I'm going to be doing something up close and want my whole field of vision, like say for puzzles, I switch over to my workspace glasses. 

Your optometrist should be able to offer you dirt/fingerprint resistant coatings on your lenses, which would help. I've done my glasses various ways over the years (optometrist, zenni, Sam's Club, etc.) but right now I'm really happy with the budget box at the optometrist. They are very simple, flat price, so like $200 for progressives. I have boring taste and mainly just need my glasses tolerable for sensory. So the frames are like $14 acrylic boring things (purple, etc.) but the lenses are AWESOME. Way better than any glass from other budget options. And since I get two new pairs of glasses every year (which would be $1000 otherwise, ouch), it's just the most sensible way to do it. And they have coatings for dirt so that washing them once a day is enough.

Now my ds' glasses are constantly dirty, haha. But he's a piglet and seldom washes them. Mine I just wash once a day and they're fine. Are you using a clean rag and hot water when you wash? They sell spritzes but I've never used them, just hot water and a thin towel or wash rag.

9 hours ago, KSera said:

I still don't understand how they work so well,

My understanding is the scrip has concentric rings, so as your eyes pull in to converge to focus for near vision, they automatically use the correct part of the rings. But it's wild, yes.

• Like 1

My dh has multifocal contacts.  He gets a script change every year as he needs one. Close to the time of his next appointment, he does have to get out the reading glasses.  That is probably age/eye dependent.

One issue he has had is night driving as your pupil expands and so the correction doesn't seem correct for that situation. It's workable, but he just prefers not to drive at night now. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, popmom said:

I'm a photographer, so I use the regular contact in my right eye, which is the one I use to look through the viewfinder. I think it would work fine either way for most people though.

• Like 1

I have multi focal contacts, and wear reading glasses over them for fine work like threading a needle, reading fine print etc. Bifocal glasses are a no go because I can't sit at the piano and read classical music and all those crazy notes top to bottom of the page with big focal/progressive glasses. This is a huge problem for musicians.

I had no trouble adjusting at all.

• Like 1

I can attest to the idea of one eye for distance and one eye for close up/ reading. I had a corneal implant in one eye because of a cataract and ended up with perfect in that eye, however I still had to put on readers if I put a disposable contact in the other eye, until I tried reading without the contact lens in and could see fine! My eyes have adjusted so that each one sees what it needs to- quite interested and much less trouble and expense.

• Like 1