Menu

CLEP - How do they convert the score into a scaled score?

I don't think there is a simple conversion.  Some of test prep books have a best guestimate, but nothing specific.

In terms of scores, they definitely vary by school.  My kids have seen scores between 50 and 72 required for credit.  Different courses may require different scores.  A 50 might grant credit in one, 65 another, and 72 another.

• Like 1

What I learned over the years (could be wrong and could have changed)

1. if you're getting around 65% of questions right on practice clep exams from REA or Peterson's, you'll probably in good shape to pass the real thing.  That held true for my middle dd. The exams where she got in the 50s for scale were the ones she was doing between 65-70 percent of correct on practices with those two brands of practice exams. The exams where her scaled scores were in 60 corresponded to about raw scores on practices 70-80 ish percent. 

2. how they convert?  not the same for each test. Someone knows. somewhere...  but it's not common info and I don't know.

3. some of the REA books have a page or two in the front with approximate raw to scale expectations.  So if you score X on their brand of practice, expect to be in Y on real thing.  Our Peterson's practices had a scaled approximate if I recall correctly.  could be wrong on that.

4. most colleges that accept CLEP take the ACE recommendation for pass (in other words, scaled  score of 50 for most exams. This is, the same way college tend to give credit for AP with 4, or 5. however, colleges can determine what they will or won't do.  So did your student pass?  depends on where they go and what the registrar's office says for that specific test. 

(edit to add: posting same time as 8 fill, didn't mean to repeat what she said)

Edited by cbollin
  • Like 1

Supposedly each question has a "hardness" level & that's how they put together each test in a subject to be the same difficulty as another test in the same subject. The scaling process fits into that somehow. 

4 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Supposedly each question has a "hardness" level & that's how they put together each test in a subject to be the same difficulty as another test in the same subject. The scaling process fits into that somehow. 

I'll piggyback @Rootann's comments and add my own theory. Based on this chart found at CLEP STEP...

https://clepstep.com/clep-faq/frequently-asked-questions/

clepscore-01.png

...as well as comparing the CLEP Official Study Guides and the REA CLEP Study Guide, it seems as though there are two kinds of tests: 1. harder questions and less of them, 2. easier questions and more of them. I assume that the information given during the registration process determines which test you will receive. I am guessing that students with less preparation time receive the harder exam with less questions and students with more prep time receive the easier exam with more questions, but I don't know what the cutoff would be (1 month? 3 months? 6 months? 1 year?). The materials used to study may also contribute to which test is received.

Edited by Mom21

There is a bit of variety from school to school especially in What credit they count an exam as (is it a general course or does it count as a prereq) or even if they accept a particular exam at all.

So this is from University of Colorado, at Colorado Springs - a University in my town. 

https://transfer.uccs.edu/transfer-credit-advising/credit-by-exam/college-level-examination-program

As you can see, most 50 scores, on the exams they accept, will gain you credit of some kind. Higher scores may earn a more specific credit - example a 50-53 on the Calulus exam will give you a general math credit, a 54 for or better is required for it to count as Calculus (and thus as the prerequisite for courses requiring Calc). 

And my understanding is questions are weighted differently so it isnt a straight percentage.

I took some CLEP/DANTES exams many years ago for my BA and so did my Oldest towards his BS&BA. Middle child is taking an exam for the final credit toward Associates today ~crossfingers~

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 1