Menu

Outlining Kingfisher... (I love the old Kingfisher, but...)

Nan in Mass

I love the old Kingfisher. So do my children. We bought several out-of-print expensive ones so everyone could have their own and take it off to college with them. But it was not because it is easy to outline from. It isn't particularly easy to outline from. And outlining itself is difficult.

Outlining requires reading the material, choosing catagories, and then rereading the material and sorting everything into a consistent detail level in the outline. It is hard, very hard, because it requires fairly grownup academic skills like skimming, deciding in which catagory each bit of information belongs, and then deciding how important each bit of information is so you can put it in the proper level of the catagory.

Books which have consistent levels of details, all sorted for you already by chapter headings and paragraphs, are easier to outline. An encyclopaedia, by definition, has already done lots of the sorting for you and eliminated lots of the details. Kingfisher, even the old Kingfisher, isn't that easy to outline from. We used it to practise outlining, yes, because there wasn't much writing and my children needed something shortish to practise with, but it isn't organized so that each paragraph has the same level of detail as the paragraph before it. That makes it hard to do a paragraph by paragraph outline. Some paragraphs only have one sentence in them. I'm not complaining about the Kingfisher writing; I think it is fine for what it is. It just isn't written with novice outliners in mind. It is written with the idea of getting across basic information enhanced with interesting details, where they exist, and making that fit between the pictures on one spread. It can be outlined, but it is much easier if you forget about the paragraphs and sort the information into catagories of your own choosing. Also, it helps to make sure your children know that they can have a heading without filling in details for it. (So you can have I,A,B,C,II,A,B,III,IV,A,B...)

Remedia Publications makes a workbook that teaches outlining. That is a better place to start than Kingfisher. It is even better to start with something like legos or fruit, demonstrating different ways of sorting and how many different outlines can be made for one set of "information". Once they understand how the sorting/labelling process works, then you can switch to practising with some other sort of book like Kingfisher.

Kingfisher makes a really nice logic-stage history book (in my opinion). The level of detail is about right. It divides into about the right amount of work for 4 years of history, leaving lots of room for extra reading and projects. It is interesting. It has lots and lots of nice details. It doesn't take long to read so if you have a slow reader, it is managable. They can even manage the rereading required for outlining, if they haven't learned to skim yet. And it is nice to outline it because all the sorting required for outlining requires processing the history information and makes it more likely that the child will remember it. But it isn't an easy book to learn outling from, and I'm afraid that people who buy expensive, out-of-print copies hoping that they will teach their children to be better outliners will be disappointed. Being a good outliner takes lots of demonstrating and lots of practice.

HTH

-Nan

OK fine. Just rain on my parade. :lol:

I guess, in your opinion, I forked out $50 that I didn't need to spend. We have thousands of Lego's. Literally. Thousands. Lots of fruit. All of the Remedia outling books available. I think perhaps we are just outlining impaired. Doomed to fail at this regardless of what I purchase.

Well, no matter, I am still happy I ordered the book and I absolutely LOVE rain. So there. :001_tt2::lol:

No, no! Remember, I'm the one that paid 80 dollars a piece for two MORE!!!! You'll love Kingfisher, probably. It is a really nice book. And compared to the very boring $120 chemistry and math books we're buying at the moment for college, it is a great deal! And outlining from it has some advantages. I just want other people to know what they are getting into. I feel partially responsible for what is going on because I'm one of the ones who posted about how much I liked the old Kingfisher. I just didn't want people to think it was because I like it for outlining. That is why I didn't post under your post. Sorry! Truly, I think your children will like Kingfisher. Who couldn't, with all those fascinating pictures?

-Nan

Nan,

Everything about your post is helpful to me. Thank you for yet again sharing your thoughts and experience. You are GOOD at articulating!!

I think I had this idea awhile ago that outlining should be easy to do and easy to teach, and should fit neatly into sections. After trying to teach it starting in the summer, reading and participating in all those recent history/outlining threads, and corresponding many times with one wonderful poster who had all the same questions I had, I see that no matter what you use, it is not so easy, because learning/teaching outlining is learning/teaching thinking skills. And that is HARD for me!! Sometimes I think I'm a crazy fool for zeroing in so much on things like this, but I want to understand these skills so I can become and teach my kids to become clear thinkers. Your post just confirmed many more things I had been wondering about. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Your posts are always so helpful, Nan; I'm glad you're part of this community.:) I don't own the old Kingfisher but I've looked through it and it wouldn't make a whit of difference to me to own that one versus the more recent edition. (Shock! Horror!) I do hope people aren't forking over fistful of dollars for that particular book just because it's what SWB originally recommended, or because they believe it's best for outlining. I should add that I would never teach children to outline via a reference book, regardless of the particular encyclopedia. So I'm admittedly on a different page than many here.

What really interested me about your post, Nan, is your belief that outlining is so difficult. That's not been my experience, and I wonder if sometimes people make it harder than necessary. At heart it's really very basic, and while it's a skill that all students should learn, each person won't benefit from it at the same level. It suits some learning styles better than others.

Your posts are always so helpful, Nan; I'm glad you're part of this community.:) I don't own the old Kingfisher but I've looked through it and it wouldn't make a whit of difference to me to own that one versus the more recent edition. (Shock! Horror!) I do hope people aren't forking over fistful of dollars for that particular book just because it's what SWB originally recommended, or because they believe it's best for outlining. I should add that I would never teach children to outline via a reference book, regardless of the particular encyclopedia. So I'm admittedly on a different page than many here.

What really interested me about your post, Nan, is your belief that outlining is so difficult. That's not been my experience, and I wonder if sometimes people make it harder than necessary. At heart it's really very basic, and while it's a skill that all students should learn, each person won't benefit from it at the same level. It suits some learning styles better than others.

Hold on. Do I remember that you were an engineer? Am I making that up? I think you must process information differently from the way I do.

I have never made an outline in my life, not from other material, not to write a paper. To be honest, I don't understand the point of outlining other material. Is it to help internalize the material? Because for me, reading aloud does that. Writing in the margins, too, and summarizing, playing with the ideas. I made it through college and a graduate program, both academically rigorous, writing papers by my own method of collecting data (quotations, usually) and creating in my head a shape and movement of the paper I wanted to produce. (I made the mistake of telling a writer friend this, and she nearly barfed when I said the words "shape" and "movement" -- visible disdain.) I wrote in my head mostly, then onto the paper. Not bragging, but I was considered an "above average" writer. I would have died a thousand deaths trying to outline. I don't even get the whole "learning style" thing, but our minds must be created differently. I find the whole concept of outlining a complete mystery. The whole linear-ness of it seems entirely unnatural.

Now. I am trying to wrap my wee brain around this mystery because teaching a child my woo-woo method of writing papers would be flat out irresponsible. So, yeah, it seems hard to me.

I was going to post to ask what exactly the point of outlining was, but was afraid I would be lynched! I don't understand the point of formal outlining and have never used it. (I also never wrote a paper by writing my info on little index cards - what a waste of cards!)

I was going to post to ask what exactly the point of outlining was, but was afraid I would be lynched! I don't understand the point of formal outlining and have never used it. (I also never wrote a paper by writing my info on little index cards - what a waste of cards!)

Outlining in TWTM is more than just outlining - eventually you turn the outlines back into writing (so maybe a step beyond narrating?) Also, outlining is very visual - it helps me to see the flow. I am an outliner, though, and always have been, so it doesn't seem so hard or strange to me!

I never used the stupid notecards, either.:D

I don't own the old Kingfisher but I've looked through it and it wouldn't make a whit of difference to me to own that one versus the more recent edition. (Shock! Horror!) I do hope people aren't forking over fistful of dollars for that particular book just because it's what SWB originally recommended, or because they believe it's best for outlining. I should add that I would never teach children to outline via a reference book, regardless of the particular encyclopedia. So I'm admittedly on a different page than many here.

No offense intended Colleen, but I am assuming SWB knows what she is talking about in recommending an encyclopedia for outlining. I am amused that you find that comical. Perhaps you know more about this than she. I will trust her recommendation.

Also, I feel confident that she would never say one must use the Kingfisher to learn outlining. She finds it a useful tool to recommend, so my hope is that it will be useful in our home as well. If not, I sell my copy...no harm, no foul.

As for your comments about outlining being so very easy. Shame on you for making those of us who struggle with it feel like idiots who are trying too hard. :glare: Perhaps that was not your intention, but that is what I perceived from your comments. I was never taught outlining in school and find it very difficult to teach well. My son finds it quite difficult to fully comprehend and master. It may seem shocking to you, but people genuinely struggle with teaching this.

Be thankful that you and yours apparently do not.;)

Hold on. Do I remember that you were an engineer? Am I making that up? I think you must process information differently from the way I do.

Nope, not an engineer. I'm a liberal arts person at heart, but graduated in economics.

I have never made an outline in my life, not from other material, not to write a paper. To be honest, I don't understand the point of outlining other material. Is it to help internalize the material? Because for me, reading aloud does that. Writing in the margins, too, and summarizing, playing with the ideas. I made it through college and a graduate program, both academically rigorous, writing papers by my own method of collecting data (quotations, usually) and creating in my head a shape and movement of the paper I wanted to produce. (I made the mistake of telling a writer friend this, and she nearly barfed when I said the words "shape" and "movement" -- visible disdain.) I wrote in my head mostly, then onto the paper. Not bragging, but I was considered an "above average" writer. I would have died a thousand deaths trying to outline. I don't even get the whole "learning style" thing, but our minds must be created differently. I find the whole concept of outlining a complete mystery. The whole linear-ness of it seems entirely unnatural...So, yeah, it seems hard to me.

It actually sounds like we process things in much the same manner.:) Aside from the few times I was forced to do so, I never outlined, either. It's not a necessary skill, but it does help some people which is why I said it's better-suited to some learning styles than others. Because students are sometimes called upon to outline, and because it may be to their benefit to do so, I'll pass along the concept. And that concept, imo, is pretty simple ~ which is why I said it doesn't seem difficult to me. Meaningful? Purposeful? Of great value? No, not in my personal experience. But simple enough to explain to anyone of average intelligence.

Ultimately, though, people are going to process, to grasp the theses and supporting points and so on and so forth, via whatever method works best for them: reading silently, reading aloud, taking fairly formal notes, scratching a random note here or there (works for me:D), outlining ~ whatever. So I consider having a child outline ~ and outline pictorial student encyclopedia entries, nonetheless ~ tantamount to busy work, nothing more, nothing less.

When I first read TWTM, this outlining of history was the biggest thing I struggled with. When I was in high school, our dry as dust history teacher wanted us to outline the textbook. That was our standing homework and I rarely did it because I considered it rewriting the book. It was busywork. I felt the same way about geometry proofs- why spend my time proving something that we already knew was true? Why rewrite a book that already exists?

When I first read TWTM, this outlining of history was the biggest thing I struggled with. When I was in high school, our dry as dust history teacher wanted us to outline the textbook. That was our standing homework and I rarely did it because I considered it rewriting the book. It was busywork. I felt the same way about geometry proofs- why spend my time proving something that we already knew was true? Why rewrite a book that already exists?

For me, rewriting something helps me to learn it - I do much better outlining a text than simply reading it. I read very quickly, but outlining makes me slow down and really take in the details.

Geometry proofs - yeah, Brett would agree with you!:lol:

No offense intended Colleen, but I am assuming SWB knows what she is talking about in recommending an encyclopedia for outlining. I am amused that you find that comical. Perhaps you know more about this than she. I will trust her recommendation.

More about it? Nah. I just have a different preference on this matter. Suggestions are suggestions. I hold SWB in high regard ~ and geez-o-pete it'd be cool to hang out with her!:D ~ but I don't consider her (or anyone else, for that matter) an expert as to whether or not outlining pictorial encyclopedias is a valuable tool.

Also, I feel confident that she would never say one must use the Kingfisher to learn outlining. She finds it a useful tool to recommend, so my hope is that it will be useful in our home as well.

Agreed! One of the very cool things about SWB is that she's not a "my way or the highway" kinda gal. And since you find this particular recommendation of value, by all means, follow it. Since this is a discussion board, though, I'm discussing and offering another two cents.

As for your comments about outlining being so very easy. Shame on you for making those of us who struggle with it feel like idiots who are trying too hard. :glare: Perhaps that was not your intention, but that is what I perceived from your comments.

Nope, definitely not my intention. I can't make you feel anything without your consent, but I am sorry to have upset you.

I was never taught outlining in school and find it very difficult to teach well. My son finds it quite difficult to fully comprehend and master. It may seem shocking to you, but people genuinely struggle with teaching this.

As I said, I wonder if people are making it harder than need be. In my opinion, using a pictorial encyclopedia as a teaching tool for outlining, for example, makes the task harder than need be. Belaboring it makes it harder than need be. Requiring it of reluctant students on a daily or weekly basis makes it harder than need be. Trying to teach it too early makes it harder than need be. That's my thought ~ and yes, it's just a thought, and it's just mine, and you're welcome to disagree.:)

I don't usually find outlining particularly difficult, at least my own, rather loose style of outlining. And I do find it useful, sometimes, not so much to write (I have my own way of doing that), but to hang on to things or sort things out to better understand them. I keep finding myself outlining particularly good watercolour books that I can't keep but have to return to the library. I don't have any trouble outlining those.

But outlining requires tons of decisions. Say you want to write an outline about animals. Are you going to organize your outline by phylla (or however you spell it)? By colour? By habitat? By country? By size? And then what do you use for the next level? And you are supposed to make the levels equivalent, more or less, which means more decisions. As a software engineer, (and someone who sees the use of proofs in math,) I don't have a problem with all that, but for some people, taking something that is a mass and sorting it into some sort of order isn't a natural process. Necessary? Perhaps not. Especially if you can already do it easily. But if you are a more holistic thinker, then perhaps it is both useful and difficult to learn to break things apart and sort them into levels. Even writing, I can see how it might be useful - it is a way of putting off decisions like wording until later.

Anyway, it appears to be something that some people do naturally and some don't. And probably isn't something that is usually easy to teach to younger children, who tend to look at things more globally or hyper-focus on some aspect.

: )

-Nan

I don't usually find outlining particularly difficult, at least my own, rather loose style of outlining. And I do find it useful, sometimes, not so much to write (I have my own way of doing that), but to hang on to things or sort things out to better understand them. I keep finding myself outlining particularly good watercolour books that I can't keep but have to return to the library. I don't have any trouble outlining those.

But outlining requires tons of decisions. Say you want to write an outline about animals. Are you going to organize your outline by phylla (or however you spell it)? By colour? By habitat? By country? By size? And then what do you use for the next level? And you are supposed to make the levels equivalent, more or less, which means more decisions. As a software engineer, (and someone who sees the use of proofs in math,) I don't have a problem with all that, but for some people, taking something that is a mass and sorting it into some sort of order isn't a natural process. Necessary? Perhaps not. Especially if you can already do it easily. But if you are a more holistic thinker, then perhaps it is both useful and difficult to learn to break things apart and sort them into levels. Even writing, I can see how it might be useful - it is a way of putting off decisions like wording until later.

Anyway, it appears to be something that some people do naturally and some don't. And probably isn't something that is usually easy to teach to younger children, who tend to look at things more globally or hyper-focus on some aspect.

: )

-Nan

This whole thread is very useful to me. Thank you. I've been turning this over in my mind all afternoon. I think part of the difficulty for me was that when I was taught outlining, there was such a huge emphasis on the form, the numbers just so and all that -- it bogged me down. Like any study skill, outlining, I suppose, can be a tool or a burden and how you approach the process can tip the scale one way or the other. This afternoon I told my son that I would be neglectful if I did not introduce him to this idea and give him some opportunities to practice it. I was honest with him about how I never really got it, and that it didn't happen to help me, but that it would probably work for him. ("We're really different mom, our brains....") I think this approach will work for us.

Nope, definitely not my intention. I can't make you feel anything without your consent, but I am sorry to have upset you.

Oh my, it takes quite a lot to upset me. I was more upset on behalf of others reading your post who are indeed struggling. You seemed a bit condescending. Glad to hear that was not your intention. :D

As I said, I wonder if people are making it harder than need be. In my opinion, using a pictorial encyclopedia as a teaching tool for outlining, for example, makes the task harder than need be. Belaboring it makes it harder than need be. Requiring it of reluctant students on a daily or weekly basis makes it harder than need be. Trying to teach it too early makes it harder than need be. That's my thought ~ and yes, it's just a thought, and it's just mine, and you're welcome to disagree.:)

I would love to hear your opinion on why you believe a pictorial encyclopedia makes outlining harder. What would you recommend to use instead, and why?

I had never given outlining a thought until reading TWTM last year. My older two boys, who are in college, have no clue how to outline. I see this as a failing of mine and regret that I did not at least introduce it to them. But, because it was never introduced to me, I never thought to introduce it to them. Sad.

Anyhow, your opinions are always welcome! I have learned gobs since joining the Hive, and always enjoy your contributions. :D Forgive me for reading into your post was was not intended. ;)

Fantastic post, as usual, Nan.

I just wanted to note, for people that still feel left out if they don't own a copy of the old Kingfisher, that it does go down in price periodically...usually during times when it hasn't been discussed for awhile on these boards. ;) I have often seen it for less than $18 in very good condition.

I tend to agree with Colleen on this one that outlining need not necessarily be so difficult or always so necessary. I am often surprised people make such a big deal out of it here on these boards, because my two kids haven't found it so hard. But we never went beyond 2 or 3 level outlines- I don't see it will be a problem when they get older, though. I kind of use a mix of WTM style outlining, and simply taking notes.

In fact my reluctant writer, for whom I bought the Remedia books anticipating much angst and difficulty learning outlining, took to it like a duck to water. Something about condensing information appeals to him.

And because both kids learned it easily, we don't do it week in, week out. It's a useful skill, but I don't quite see the point in "belaboring" it as Colleen puts it.

I can see why SWB emphasises it- she sees College students without a clue about things and I figure she is working backwards to suggest a way to make sure they get a good foundation. But we only have so much time and if we choose to emphasise things slightly differently, it's ok.

I have personally found both my kids, any myself, respond very well to the highly visual Mind Mapping, which apparently SWB doesn't think much of. But it's a technique used in schools here at times, and I think it has great merit.

And I think its great that Nan started this thread with what she said. Although I don't find outlining to be a big deal, it seems to be for many people, and I doubt any Kingfisher encyclopedia, condensed with information, is going to make it any easier for them. We're not a family who ever particularly liked KHE anyway- we prefer more story like narratives.

I think one of the things with outlining is that there is no right and wrong- well, I guess there are wrong answers, but there is a wide range of right. I allow a wide range of answers from my kids- it is the looking, the refining, the filtering, the process that is the benefit- and if they find a different answer to me, I am ok as long as it is within a certain range. They will get better at it.

Edited by Peela

(I also never wrote a paper by writing my info on little index cards - what a waste of cards!)

I never used the stupid notecards, either.:D

Well I guess I'll be the lone loser who occasionally uses the index cards, especially with a longer writing project with a broad range of resources. I do outlines, use index cards, etc. I think, like outlines, the cards can be helpful to some and seem like a waste of time/effort/materials to others. It was one of my highschool teachers who introduced us to the whole "index card system", and while I certainly wouldn't be some vigilant task-mistress about it, it isn't completely without value (to me).

I haven't started outlining with my ds yet, but I was thinking about taking out some of our (as in dh and my) history books and using selections related to our current history topics.

Ooo - is this the thread where we get to fess up that we don't get why it's so important to outline a whole book?

I personally get outlining, I like outlining, I use it to write papers and sometimes to randomly organize thoughts. I taught it to my kids (with a book similar to Remedia) and they find it useful. But I've never outlined a book. Taken notes, sure - which may have even had some topics and sub-topics. But if anyone had stood over me and told me I had to outline some book for years paragraph by paragraph just because, I think I would've gone into a coma.

I even use those little note cards - actually fond of the things - but for writing notes for research papers, not for general note-taking. Anyway, I think I agree with Colleen outlining the way it's often discussed here seems like "belaboring" to me - but jmho - I've always kept my mouth firmly shut about my little opinion - but now I'm feeling the need to confess my thought, as it seems I may not be all alone out here in left field... :tongue_smilie:

:seeya: waving...

In high school we were taught both the outline and the notecard method of organizing our thoughts for writing. We had to write one paper each way, and then we were able to choose for the rest of the papers we wrote.

Outlining was torture for me. In fact, on my "outlining" paper, I wrote the paper first and then went back and created the outline for it.

Notecards work very well for me.

I went on to write professionally, so I don't think that my aversion to outlining hampered my writing. I will, however, teach my kids to outline. I'll also teach them to use notecards.

I understand outlining, and I find it useful for reading, but it doesn't work well for me for writing.

Different strokes for different folks!

Tara

Well I guess I'll be the lone loser who occasionally uses the index cards, especially with a longer writing project with a broad range of resources. I do outlines, use index cards, etc. I think, like outlines, the cards can be helpful to some and seem like a waste of time/effort/materials to others. It was one of my highschool teachers who introduced us to the whole "index card system", and while I certainly wouldn't be some vigilant task-mistress about it, it isn't completely without value (to me).

I haven't started outlining with my ds yet, but I was thinking about taking out some of our (as in dh and my) history books and using selections related to our current history topics.

Nope, not a loser!:D For me, all those little notecards where simply more paper to lose!:tongue_smilie: I think you are right, though, that some things are useful to some and not to others. I *will* teach at least one research paper using notecards - while I may not find it worthwhile, one of my dc might.

Ooo - is this the thread where we get to fess up that we don't get why it's so important to outline a whole book?

I don't get the outlining a book for the sake of saying "I outlined a whole text book." :confused:But for prep, to take a test from, General Science or any other science for that matter. For any report, when I find my dd or ds doesn't make much sense in a report they passed in, I look at the outline to find often times they have deviated from the outline.

My bf finished Law school several months ago and took the Bar. She couldn't afford the $$ to take a prep. class for the Bar. She outlined her "topics" yes, on note-cards and reviewed them for several weeks. She passed the bar exam, on average 35% fail.

I get it, we learn differently, teach differently. I like note cards no, I LOVE them:), I know, for me it made the difference. So , I teach what worked for me, no shame in that:D

I had to add, my dd who is 6 heard me reading this out loud, and she said,

" If you love note cards , why don't you marry them?":lol:

"An encyclopaedia, by definition, has already done lots of the sorting for you and eliminated lots of the details."

:iagree:

This is something we found with Kingfisher. I never learned to outline at school, in fact I studied mainly science subjects from the age of fourteen. When I began a liberal arts degree at university I had no trouble understanding the concept of picking out the main points of arguments; understanding them and then putting together an argumentive or factual essay in my own words.

I much prefer the method described in 'The Well Educated Mind' for the sorting out of information and solidifying reading. It is informal (no i's or numbers) and intuitive. Outlining, or simply reading and processing, takes maturity as much as practice. It is difficult for a child to see the wood for the trees until they have had experience. It is somewhat similar to a new born baby seeing many abstract shapes but being unable to have a concrete idea of what to focus on.

I too love the Kingfisher Encyclopedia. It is a wonderful book to keep returning too when you need to see something in its context.