Menu

Need help thinking of some activity kits to do for studying another country...

hmsch4me

I would second the origami idea and add kirigami (paper cutting) and sumi-e (Japanese brush painting). There are lots of kits for these. Make sure you gat a kid's kit for the origami-kirigami (Alex makes one) -- you don't want really difficult designs. Sumi-e requires a brush and special paper, perhaps special ink -- art stores have kits & materials -- simple things like painting bamboo are quite easy and the results might be worth framing. Saori is a type of Japanese weaving that is easy to learn -- I think you could do it on a small kid's loom to get the general idea -- lots of different fibers are mixed in for a variety of textures, so it doesn't have to be "even" like regular weaving -- a real plus when you are learning. You could read about the tea ceremony and try to do something similar. Ikebana -- flower arranging. If you live near any Japanese communities, you may find materials, classes, festivals, etc.

If you read Sadako and the Paper Cranes, you could fold cranes and put them on a peace tree.

I have also seen, but not done (yet) kumihimo braids -- a bit like lanyards, but nicer looking. I found a description in You Can Weave, K. Monaghan.

Edited by Alessandra