Menu

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

Youngest was home on a Zoom class and ordered food. A very elderly woman came to drop it off and fell on our driveway. We didn’t know until she sent a text that the drink didn’t make it because she fell. We were able to see it on the Ring. Should we do anything or just wait to see if she does anything. I feel awful and will probably ask the dc to stop ordering while they are staying here. I’ll just pick up food if they want anything. 

It won’t always be the same driver so I wouldn't tell them to stop ordering from them. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

Youngest was home on a Zoom class and ordered food. A very elderly woman came to drop it off and fell on our driveway. We didn’t know until she sent a text that the drink didn’t make it because she fell. We were able to see it on the Ring. Should we do anything or just wait to see if she does anything. I feel awful and will probably ask the dc to stop ordering while they are staying here. I’ll just pick up food if they want anything. 

I am not sure what to do about it, but I would not assume she'd be the same one coming back or that her falling should keep her from working. I have a friend that falls due to numbness in her foot from a disc issue in her back (disc issue is resolved). It would not keep her from working a job like this, and she does have a job where she is on her feet a lot. 

I would watch for a claim to be made on your homeowner's or umbrella policy. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I am not sure what to do about it, but I would not assume she'd be the same one coming back or that her falling should keep her from working. I have a friend that falls due to numbness in her foot from a disc issue in her back (disc issue is resolved). It would not keep her from working a job like this, and she does have a job where she is on her feet a lot. 

I would watch for a claim to be made on your homeowner's or umbrella policy. 

This.   As a contractor for door dash - she should have her own policy for on the job injuries, but that doesn't mean she does.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

I would preemptively contact my homeowners insurance company. Let them know you have video. Hopefully she both is honest and will recover fully, but sometimes people take opportunities like this to scam, kwim? Not sure how the ring videos work but you should probably be sure you save it somehow so it won’t get deleted or overwritten. 

I was wondering if I should reach out to them or just wait and see. I’ll talk it over with dh this afternoon. 

40 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

I was wondering if I should reach out to them or just wait and see. I’ll talk it over with dh this afternoon. 

I wouldn’t call. It is rare someone sues over this and I wouldn’t want to give them ideas. Also, you don’t want the lady to lose her job.

I hope she’s ok.  

How upsetting for you guys, too.

I’d probably be sure to save the video (with Nest, we have to go in and choose the section to save within a few days).

I don’t see any harm in calling your home owner’s either, but it might not be necessary.

FWIW, we had a kid on roller skates fall in our driveway and break his arm, and I did save the video.  Just a random neighborhood kid, not an invited guest (notorious for inviting himself over, sigh).  I texted his parents to check on him several times, and that was it.  Whew.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seasider too said:

I would preemptively contact my homeowners insurance company. Let them know you have video. Hopefully she both is honest and will recover fully, but sometimes people take opportunities like this to scam, kwim? Not sure how the ring videos work but you should probably be sure you save it somehow so it won’t get deleted or overwritten. 

This. Don’t contact her. 

24 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

I suggest NOT calling your insurance company.  The reason is....they may take a claim based on your call and that would count against you.  Compile your videos and data so that if there is a claim or lawsuit, you have the info.  But for now, don't call your insurance.  You don't want to be paying higher rates because of a claim you didn't have to make.

Essentially, let the ball be in her court.  Had you been aware of what had happen, you of course would have rushed out and helped and done what you could.  But since you are coming at this after the fact, let her file what she needs to file.  Don't fight anything that you think you shouldn't fight (ie if you thought your family was responsible due to the uneven driveway or similar. ) If she calls, give her whatever information she might need for her claims.....don't hinder her claim.  But at the same time, don't volunteer anything to your insurance company that might open you up to paying more than you should.

There likely is a clause in your insurance policy that requires you inform them of a potential claim within a reasonable time and if you fail to they aren’t required to cover the claim. 

• Like 1

• 1234 changed the title to Thanks