Menu

lands end tween swimsuit sizing?

ktgrok

According to the general lands end size chart my just turned 11 yr old, 80lb daughter is a large. But when I click on the "what is my kid's size" thing and tell it she wears a large in Target Cat and Jack shirts, it says she's an XL in Lands End. But that doesn't seem right based on size chart. 

Anyone got a suggestion before I order both sizes?

I agree, go by measurements not weight. A particularly athletic & muscular kid’s weight can vary by 30% or more from what you might guess. 

At the same time, Lands End suits are thicker and less stretchy than other brands so I would go by measurements not Target suits. 

30 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

I size up for lands end tank suits. The fabric is thick unlike the Cat & Jack suits and feels much tighter to my girls. 

thank you. She's getting the rash guard style top and swim shorts bottoms, so tight would be uncomfortable for sure. And with her developing up top, I'm sure she doesn't want it too tight there. 

I'll measure! And if in doubt, order both. 

14 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

so, she's borderline - is Land's End easy to return to?

Yes. Comes with a return label; return shipping is deducted from your refund.

Last summer, my daughter was 5'3" and 103 lbs. The LE tank in 14 was too small for her, but a size 16 LE tankini purchased at a garage sale (board-type shorts, tankini top) was too big. 

The summer before, she was 5' tall--not sure on weight. She tends to be in about the 75% percentile for weight and 90's for height. She is long-torso-ed. The LE tank in 14 was perfect for her. 

I don't know if that helps! I have found their sizing charts to be very accurate.

Edited by MercyA

11 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Order the XL is my advice. Odds are she’s on the edge of a huge growth spurt....unless you were teeny until 14 or so. All of my 11 year olds grew a foot and gained a ton of proportional weight.

LOL, well I'm only 5'1, so still teeny, lol. 

11 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Order the XL is my advice. Odds are she’s on the edge of a huge growth spurt....unless you were teeny until 14 or so. All of my 11 year olds grew a foot and gained a ton of proportional weight.

I ended up realizing their sizing guide was different for different bathing suits, which helped my confusion! I ordered an XL rashgaurd and an L swim shorts based on the sizing guide and the advice here and the "this is your child's size in this garment" advice it gave me. And added a tankini top in size 12, which was entirely different sizing, lol. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

I ended up realizing their sizing guide was different for different bathing suits, which helped my confusion! I ordered an XL rashgaurd and an L swim shorts based on the sizing guide and the advice here and the "this is your child's size in this garment" advice it gave me. And added a tankini top in size 12, which was entirely different sizing, lol. 

I'm guessing those will work well. 🙂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

It's been a while since I bought a kid-sized suit at LE, but in my experience they run a bit on the large side.  

If you have a Sears store near you, they usually take LE returns.  Sadly my local one went out of business.  I used to buy a whole bunch of suits in various sizes and then return what I didn't want.

Kohls takes Lands End returns now, too.