Menu

Scheduled for the first Moderna on 1/23. Anyone else scheduled? What are your thoughts?

AngelaGT

If your county has fewer supercooling storage refrigerators (not sure what the actual name is), they will go with the Moderna because it is stable at a higher temp (though still a low temp) than the Pfizer. There could be other availability reasons, but that is the one I have heard on the radio. 

I am not in line yet but I would take either as soon as my turn comes. Best of luck! 

• Like 1

Dh and dd got the Moderna on Sunday.  It seems to be an availability thing (here.). When they were there, Pfizer shots were being given to those who already had the first one. Moderna to first timers.

Other dd is 17.5, so they couldn’t give her the first shot.  But they called her on Monday with Pfizer availability at a different location, so she has an appointment there for today. She’s calling ahead though, because it’s more than an hour drive and we’re a little worried that they might potentially wind up doing Moderna and turn her away again.

I don’t think any fully equipped location cares all that much which one they’re giving, especially while we’re in categories that don’t have a whole lot of need to address kids who are 16 and 17.  We’re just pushing because dd is a firefighter and planning to get an EMT job before her 18th birthday.  There’s already quite a bit of COVID going around our area fire departments.

• Like 1

From the charts I've seen, I would prefer the Moderna. If I take it (which I haven't been offered), that's the one I'd want. I get that it's scary since a very very narrow sliver of people seem to be having reactions. It's just choices we make, assessing our risk. You're trading one for another. Seems like a highly effective choice that skirts some of the potential ethics issues of the pfizer. (at least from what I read, may be misunderstanding)

Are you saying you aren't sure you want it? Where my father lives in assisted living, they're saying that residents who elect NOT to take it will be required to continue wearing masks, and they make it sound like that's indefinite. So does making the choice improve things for you at some point?

• Like 1

We're all scheduled for Friday because my dd has developmental disabilities and they and their families and caregivers ended up with high priority. I would probably put some other people higher, but if I have the opportunity I'm taking it! I assume we're getting Pfizer since they scheduled the second shot 3 weeks later. And this will ease my mind as I work in the school district and will probably be back in the high school building in the next month or two. They're trying to get school employees vaccinated but that's not scheduled yet. And now I know that my dd will be protected, the whole family really, so I won't have to worry about bringing illness home to them.

2 hours ago, PeterPan said:

From the charts I've seen, I would prefer the Moderna. If I take it (which I haven't been offered), that's the one I'd want. I get that it's scary since a very very narrow sliver of people seem to be having reactions. It's just choices we make, assessing our risk. You're trading one for another. Seems like a highly effective choice that skirts some of the potential ethics issues of the pfizer. (at least from what I read, may be misunderstanding)

Are you saying you aren't sure you want it? Where my father lives in assisted living, they're saying that residents who elect NOT to take it will be required to continue wearing masks, and they make it sound like that's indefinite. So does making the choice improve things for you at some point?

I didn't think that getting the vaccine precluded mask wearing at this point in time???  I must have missed something...

ETA:  https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/01/12/956051995/why-you-should-still-wear-a-mask-and-avoid-crowds-after-getting-the-covid-19-vac

Not picking on you PeterPan :).  Just curious as DH and I are caring for 3 elderly people.

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I didn't think that getting the vaccine precluded mask wearing at this point in time???  I must have missed something...

ETA:  https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/01/12/956051995/why-you-should-still-wear-a-mask-and-avoid-crowds-after-getting-the-covid-19-vac

Not picking on you PeterPan :).  Just curious as DH and I are caring for 3 elderly people.

Assisted living. You're talking about 50 people living in a home like environment. They do puzzles, play cards, do Wii bowling, eat meals, etc. You wouldn't want to wear a mask in your home 24/7 and that's what they're saying you'll have to continue to do if you do not take the vaccine. They also weren't saying when they would pull the mask policy. They've had zero cases among residents, but they've been highly restricted. We haven't been able to get into the building for months. I'm assuming they'll continue to be quite careful, but they have to balance that with the reality that to stay open and pleasant and a nice place to live they need to relieve resident masking. Nuts, the vaccines will allow the residents to have family members in without fearing they're starting a plague. 

Personally, I think politicians, teachers, and all these other people who have freedom of movement should get off their "we're essential" high horses and get everyone in assisted living and nursing homes vaccinated first. If I think too hard about it, it pisses me off that people who have freedom of movement in his state are getting the vaccine before he is. It has basically been PRISON. One tiny apartment (very small, with a 2 person couch living room and a small bedroom) and they'll trap them in there for 7-14 days every time ANY staff member tests positive, even if there was no contact with the resident. The state should be EMBARRASSED that they have not rolled out these things better and gotten it done. His state has the vaccines and they just aren't getting it done. I don't CARE what the excuse is. They had months and they should have gotten every person registered who wanted it and the plans made. 

That's a rant. Point is, he's not trying to go to the mall with no mask. He's just trying to walk down the hall and chat/eat with the small number of people he lives with. I think they're only half full right now. Remember, these are places where people die regularly, and not many are wanting to move IN right now. 

21 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Just curious as DH and I are caring for 3 elderly people.

Yeah I think people get to an age and just make choices. I've known a couple people now (one in her 70s, another with dreadful health problems including severe diabetes and heart attacks) who both sailed through COVID just fine. I think you have to balance risk and quality of life. With my dad, I ask him what he wants. Like I'm taking a trip, and I felt him out to see if taking a trip right now (which is admittedly high risk, but which would let him see his son when he's literally losing his ability to walk from a lesion on his spine). He said he wants to wait for the vaccine, so that's a choice. I would support him in his choice either way and I wouldn't decide *for* him, if that makes sense. He's of sound mind, so to me it's his dignity to decide how much risk he wants to get what he wants. 

And yes, he would have been quarantined if he left. But they quarantine him frequently anyway just because some random staff member gets it. 

Edited by PeterPan