Menu

What for typing?

Elizabeth86

We haven't gotten there yet, but I remember reading on WTM forums that whatever program you go with, get a roll of electric tape and cover up the keys after the kids have been through the lesson a couple of times.

This will help with touch-typing as looking at the keyboard is less useful and kids develop muscle memory faster and are trained against looking at the keyboard.

Edited by mathmarm
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mathmarm said:

We haven't gotten there yet, but I remember reading on WTM forums that whatever program you go with, get a roll of electric tape and cover up the keys after the kids have been through the lesson a couple of times.

This will help with touch-typing as looking at the keyboard is less useful and kids develop muscle memory faster and are trained against looking at the keyboard.

Totally agree about covering the keys as an aid to touch typing, but electrical tape -- yikes! The sticky residue when removing it would be a horror to get back off each key 😱 -- Faster, easily removed and replaced, and less sticky might be  a keyboard learn-to-type "skin" like this one.

On 12/21/2020 at 2:17 PM, kristin0713 said:

We tried a bunch of free programs, but the one that really worked for both of my kids was Mickey's Typing Adventure by Typing Instructor.  They have the same program with different themes, we did the Disney one. 

Is this free? Can you link it? I thought I looked at a Mickey one, but it wasn't free.

1 hour ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Is this free? Can you link it? I thought I looked at a Mickey one, but it wasn't free.

No. What I meant was, we tried a bunch of free programs that didn’t work well enough. What worked for them was *not* free—Mickey’s Typing Adventure. (It’s really cheap though. I think they offer a free trial and after that it’s like $7/month IIRC. 

Edited by kristin0713
  • Thanks 1

We tried Dance Mat typing (free), because I'd seen good reviews here, but it wasn't a good fit for my kids. I don't think they found it scary, just not very appealing. And it didn't seem to have a whole lot of practice, just a few introductory lessons - but maybe I missed something. Also, I found the sounds very annoying, lol.

Typing Instructor (not free) was a much better fit, less annoying sounds, and plenty of practice available. It was worth paying for, in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

On 12/24/2020 at 11:42 AM, mathmarm said:

get a roll of electric tape and cover up the keys after the kids have been through the lesson a couple of times.

Yeah, I got the narrow tape from Hobby Lobby to do this and my ornery ds peeled it off! LOL Of course I'll have the ultimate revenge, because I've been teaching him Dvorak instead of QWERTY. I bought a cheap keyboard and pulled up and rearranged the keys to match. Had to use whiteout on a few. As soon as we've gone through all the lessons, I can switch him to a nicer QWERTY keyboard and he won't be able to see the letters anymore, hehe. 

For op, if there are SLDs, also consider Talking Fingers, which makes a strong connection between the keys and the sounds. Dictation can also be good. It's really a different skill. If my ds is copying from a text he sees, that's visual motor integration (see it, type it). But to type something from his head, he has to think about the spelling, hold it in his memory, and then motor plan and type the sounds out. For some kids, those steps are going to be natural and easy, but for some they are NOT. For my ds it's literal rocket science. For him, I made my own little typing program, introducing a letter every few days with pages that he types (eyes to fingers) and then page he types via dictation. 

When we've gone through all that, my plan is to move him over to the Mavis Beacon Dvorak typing software (because I have it and it uses games) or the Expository game on Steam. But Expository isn't going to hit his need for dictation to be functional. I never had to do that for my dd, because she could do it for herself, forcing herself tediously to get proficient enough to type her thoughts. For ds, it's much, much harder, meaning I'll probably need to continue typing dictation.