Menu

Can I freeze a baked pie?

Forget-Me-Not

Yes. Apple pies, other fruit pies, berry pies, pecan pies all can freeze.

Anything with any kind of custard -- pumpkin, key lime, boston, banana cream, etc cannot freeze.

signed,

Pam in CT who has long relied on baking mother, baking cousin and baking aunt for the pie effort and who has been largely bereft for most of COVID, sigh.  Thanksgiving was a TRIAL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is what I found

Baked Fruit Pie

Bake the pie and let cool completely. Place the pie uncovered in the freezer until it is frozen (overnight). Once frozen, wrap the pie tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil then place in a plastic freezer bag and place back in the freezer. Frozen, baked fruit pies will keep up to 4 months.

How do you re-heat baked frozen pie?

Unwrap and thaw at room temperature for 1 hour or in the refrigerator overnight. Place the pie in a baking sheet (recommended to handle overflow) and put it in a pre-heated oven. Heat pie at 300°F on the lowest oven rack for 15 to 20 minutes or until warm. Baking time could vary depending on the size of the pie you are baking, adjust as needed.

• 5″ Pie:15-30 min. 7″Pie: 30-50 min. 10″ Pie 40-70 min.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

Anything with any kind of custard -- pumpkin, key lime, boston, banana cream, etc cannot freeze.

I beg to differ!  We buy Costco pumpkin pies and freeze the leftovers, and they are fine - not quite the same as fresh, but still delicious.  

• Like 2