Menu

Blog name ideas?

saraha

Thanks! I used to teach free budget cooking classes and had a facebook page to share the class recipes, but am not doing that now so am thinking of starting a blog. It seems like an audience that is not being addressed and will fill in the space for me that the classes used to.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, saraha said:

I am looking for suggestions for blog names for a blog that will focus on living and eating on a food stamp budget.

Thanks!

Wow. Super great idea.

I have a blog and my .02 is: take your time choosing a name. I was so excited to get my blog going that I jumped the gun. I like my blog's name, but it doesn't quite convey what I write about.

Play with homonyms. As in a "wave" can come from the ocean, but can also be a greeting.

PM me if I can be any help,

Wendy

• Thanks 1

This is such a great ministry.

I work with many families/student that have a bridge card (Michigan's food stamp card).  One thing I do is try to help them figure out what is a good deal and what isn't.  Looking at food labels to look at nutrition, etc.

I also shared a few simple, low cost recipes in my friend's article she wrote on nutrition for her medical practice.

I would consider what your target audience have in the way of appliances.....fridge, freezer, stove, oven?   Some only have a cooler and an electric fry pan.   

Shelf stable/freezer items might be a good focus so that when life gets chaotic the food isn't being wasted.   

If you area does this, in the summer, focus on stuff at the farmers market.  Our state offers a "double up bucks" program so they give them double the amount to buy stuff at the farmers market.  Great program 

• Thanks 1

Great idea!  Out here the big issue is that many of the economizing food ideas only work if you can buy in bulk and cook and then freeze stuff.  And those getting food stamps typically don’t physically have the space or the security to do that.  Food banks tend to only have bland, boring staples, like off brand Chex and such.  So it’s very hard to make those appetizing.  

I would love to see your blog!  

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Great idea!  Out here the big issue is that many of the economizing food ideas only work if you can buy in bulk and cook and then freeze stuff.  And those getting food stamps typically don’t physically have the space or the security to do that.  Food banks tend to only have bland, boring staples, like off brand Chex and such.  So it’s very hard to make those appetizing.  

I would love to see your blog!  

This is what I was noticing with frugality blogs also. They were mostly written by sahm who have the time and ability to bulk buy, batch cook from scratch etc and no one writing to the people who used to be in my classes. Those in rented trailers whose landlord won't fix the stove so they cook everything in the microwave or toaster oven or those that work two jobs and literally don't have the time and bandwidth to do more than warm something up most days. People who only have a dorm sized fridge and a hot plate and no car so the only store they shop at is Family Dollar. People who have no fridge at all and can only have shelf stable foods. These are the audience.

I got the idea because a friend of mine who works for our community action was working with the farmers to families program and said that people were complaining that they didn't know what to do with the same ingredients every week, especially the cabbage and ricotta cheese. So for the last three weeks of the program I wrote a "newsletter" that included meal ideas using the ingredients and recipes. It was very well received. I made sure to include some ideas that only used the microwave or toaster oven. Sadly that program ended and I am looking for another similar kind of outlet so thought I would start a blog.

• Like 6

About a year ago, I was working with a young woman who turned 18 and aged out of foster care, though she was just a junior in high school. She moved into a very small apartment (more like a small hotel room) run by a ministry for other young adults like her. She talked about wanting to learn how to cook, but it was daunting to do in her tiny apartment without a real oven. She did not have a car, so she had to be able to carry everything on the bus.

I love the idea of your blog. I will think about a name...

When you get it set up, please post a link to it!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I love that one too.  Puts a more positive spin on a difficult situation.  Often the connotation of SNAP benefits is negative.

Plus, people using SNAP might find the blog quickly in a search, especially if it is spelled with a hyphen: SNAP-py 

• Like 3