Menu

Relaxed Homeschoolers - Reading

Elizabeth86

Sometimes I worry we aren't reading enough. My boys are in 2nd and 4th this year.  I have scrapped formal reading programs. I have them both reading from the mensa book list for kids and memoria press literature list. The 4th grader usually reads to himself, occasionally out loud to me.  The 2nd reads to me from one of these lists daily. I ask older son about what he reads and he summarizes no problem. I have him write down any word he doesn't know the meaning of or how to pronounce and we look it up together. The 2nd grader does this as we read. Occasionally I'll assign a book on our science and history topic. I keep hoping if I don't assign much, they will just read on their own. The 2nd grader will pick up a book on his own sometimes, but the 4th grader never will. Should I assign a lighter book series for them to read through. Maybe a grade level reader? If I tell them to choose any book to read, they both will choose the shortest book they can find. Neither struggle to read at all, they don't mind when I assign it, buy they just aren't readers. Am I making it too easy for them? Not enough reading?

Edited by Elizabeth86

For my reluctant readers I had to use a formal reading curriculum like Christian Light. For a couple of them I used Sonlight. They wouldn't just read on their own and I needed the accountability of a curriculum. Having a curriculum to follow just made it easier to make sure they were reading something.

For my other kids who liked reading I just needed to take them to the library and keep them supplied with books.

Susan in TX

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Sometimes I worry we aren't reading enough. My boys are in 2nd and 4th this year.  I have scrapped formal reading programs. I have them both reading from the mensa book list for kids and memoria press literature list. The 4th grader usually reads to himself, occasionally out loud to me.  The 2nd reads to me from one of these lists daily. I ask older son about what he reads and he summarizes no problem. I have him write down any word he doesn't know the meaning of or how to pronounce and we look it up together. The 2nd grader does this as we read. Occasionally I'll assign a book on our science and history topic. I keep hoping if I don't assign much, they will just read on their own. The 2nd grader will pick up a book on his own sometimes, but the 4th grader never will. Should I assign a lighter book series for them to read through. Maybe a grade level reader? If I tell them to choose any book to read, they both will choose the shortest book they can find. Neither struggle to read at all, they don't mind when I assign it, buy they just aren't readers. Am I making it too easy for them? Not enough reading?

Some people just never love to read.

For myself, I don't assign reading. I read aloud to my dc from books I thought they'd enjoy or that I thought it was important for them to hear/read, which they also enjoyed. We went to the library weekly and they could check out as many books as they wanted or none at all. 

Your dc are probably expending their reading strength on what you have required and have nothing left for free reading. If it's important to you that they read the books on those lists, then keep doing that, because those are good books. If you want them to read on their own, then lighten up on the required reading, and maybe read aloud to them from books on the lists.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am not always a relaxed homeschooler, but I am in many respects, and this is one of them. 

We don't assign reading. We read to the kids, we go to the library, and we buy them books. And... that's it for our reading curriculum. 

So far, both the kids like to read a lot, the younger slightly less than the older, but the younger also LOVES audiobooks. You may want to explore that as well. 

What reading looked like here in the elementary grades, with 2 boys who were not avid readers:

1.  20 min. (2nd grade) / 25 min (4th grade) - assigned school reading done together
High quality / high interest children's chapter books, done aloud together with me, "buddy style" ("you read a page, I read a page"). No formal questions (comprehension or discussion) -- just occasional making comments or discussing in the moment *as it naturally occurred* (or not 😉 ).

Less frequently, we used selections from a handful of the vintage Ginn Basic Reader books. These are the readers that were used in the 1950s-1960s in classrooms. So from time to time, we'd use some of the selections from one of the grade 3-6 volumes I had, that fit in with whatever else we might be studying.

2.  20-30 min./3 days a week - solo school reading
Student choice from the book basket of choices, reading for fluency and content.

3.  90 min./4-5 days a week - read-alouds
Mom reading aloud to DSs, in a number of shorter bites throughout the day, from all kinds of Literature, and for History & Science, and "just for fun" family reads.

DSs did not tend to choose reading as their free time activity, but the house was strewn with library books and children's magazines (in addition to our overflowing bookshelves), and DSs frequently chose the "book bonus time" at night of being allowed to stay up an extra 30 minutes, in bed with lights on, to read and look at books. My purpose was to just keep books fun and interesting -- no requirement of level or types of books. 

Books they especially enjoyed at those elementary grade ages for "book bonus time":
- Calvin and Hobbes comic collections
- Ranger Rick magazine (and other kids magazines)
- Search and Find books
- highly illustrated books with snippets of info in captions -- like Eyewitness and DK books, and "exploded view" illustrated books
- Lego catalogs and the Lego magazine
- books of mazes and Highlights magazine collections of hidden picture puzzles

Neither DS found a "genre" or type of book that they especially gravitated towards until about age 9-10. One DS ended up really enjoying mysteries, the other clicked with the very "popcorn" series of Warriors (Hunter), about a clan of warrior cats. In the "tween" years, they both really enjoyed the Ranger's Apprentice, Artemis Fowl, Percy Jackson, and Harry Potter series.

All through teens and into adulthood, while DSs will sometimes find a series they really love, they continue to not be huge readers in their free time. They tend to prefer podcasts -- maybe all the listening to read-alouds for thousands of hours during their growing up years influenced that... 😉 But most likely, it's just because reading is "fine" as an activity to them -- it's just not their passion, as it is for me. 😉

Enjoy your read-alouds and reading together times! Warmest regards, Lori D.

PS
Sometimes it helped at those elementary ages to make reading seem unique in some way; usually it was picking a different unusual spot to read together or for their solo reading:
- up in a tree
- in a dry bathtub with stacks of pillows and blankets
- inside an appliance-sized cardboard box
- under a folding table with a blanket draped over + a flashlight
- behind the couch or under a couch cushion fort

Also, handing off a fun snack with the required solo reading helped -- popcorn; a small bag of pretzels; string cheese; a little cup of nuts and chocolate chips... 😉 

Also, I had a whole basketful of "fidgets" for when we did read-alouds...

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lori D. said:

What reading looked like here in the elementary grades, with 2 boys who were not avid readers:

1.  20 min. (2nd grade) / 25 min (4th grade) - assigned school reading done together
High quality / high interest children's chapter books, done aloud together with me, "buddy style" ("you read a page, I read a page"). No formal questions (comprehension or discussion) -- just occasional making comments or discussing in the moment *as it naturally occurred* (or not 😉 ).

Less frequently, we used selections from a handful of the vintage Ginn Basic Reader books. These are the readers that were used in the 1950s-1960s in classrooms. So from time to time, we'd use some of the selections from one of the grade 3-6 volumes I had, that fit in with whatever else we might be studying.

2.  20-30 min./3 days a week - solo school reading
Student choice from the book basket of choices, reading for fluency and content.

3.  90 min./4-5 days a week - read-alouds
Mom reading aloud to DSs, in a number of shorter bites throughout the day, from all kinds of Literature, and for History & Science, and "just for fun" family reads.

DSs did not tend to choose reading as their free time activity, but the house was strewn with library books and children's magazines (in addition to our overflowing bookshelves), and DSs frequently chose the "book bonus time" at night of being allowed to stay up an extra 30 minutes, in bed with lights on, to read and look at books. My purpose was to just keep books fun and interesting -- no requirement of level or types of books. 

Books they especially enjoyed at those elementary grade ages for "book bonus time":
- Calvin and Hobbes comic collections
- Ranger Rick magazine (and other kids magazines)
- Search and Find books
- highly illustrated books with snippets of info in captions -- like Eyewitness and DK books, and "exploded view" illustrated books
- Lego catalogs and the Lego magazine
- books of mazes and Highlights magazine collections of hidden picture puzzles

Neither DS found a "genre" or type of book that they especially gravitated towards until about age 9-10. One DS ended up really enjoying mysteries, the other clicked with the very "popcorn" series of Warriors (Hunter), about a clan of warrior cats. In the "tween" years, they both really enjoyed the Ranger's Apprentice, Artemis Fowl, Percy Jackson, and Harry Potter series.

All through teens and into adulthood, while DSs will sometimes find a series they really love, they continue to not be huge readers in their free time. They tend to prefer podcasts -- maybe all the listening to read-alouds for thousands of hours during their growing up years influenced that... 😉 But most likely, it's just because reading is "fine" as an activity to them -- it's just not their passion, as it is for me. 😉

Enjoy your read-alouds and reading together times! Warmest regards, Lori D.

PS
Sometimes it helped at those elementary ages to make reading seem unique in some way; usually it was picking a different unusual spot to read together or for their solo reading:
- up in a tree
- in a dry bathtub with stacks of pillows and blankets
- inside an appliance-sized cardboard box
- under a folding table with a blanket draped over + a flashlight
- behind the couch or under a couch cushion fort

Also, handing off a fun snack with the required solo reading helped -- popcorn; a small bag of pretzels; string cheese; a little cup of nuts and chocolate chips... 😉 

Also, I had a whole basketful of "fidgets" for when we did read-alouds...

This is pretty much what we do. Some mensa books/ mp books we tag team read and sometimes the boys read it aloud to me by themselves.  Probably 20-25 minutes daily. 

I have them read science and history supplements on their own a few days per week.

I always have a read aloud going and we listen to audio books for at least an hour every night.

I wanted to add, they almost always enjoy the books we read. I was the same way in school, I never wanted to read on my own, but I always enjoyed to books I had to read. Snacks and incentives and all that are not needed. It's not an ordeal or moans and groans. We enjoy our reading time together.  They would never ever pick up a book on their own though.  Seems we are pretty much doing ok. I need to check sometimes.

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I am not always a relaxed homeschooler, but I am in many respects, and this is one of them. 

We don't assign reading. We read to the kids, we go to the library, and we buy them books. And... that's it for our reading curriculum. 

So far, both the kids like to read a lot, the younger slightly less than the older, but the younger also LOVES audiobooks. You may want to explore that as well. 

We listen about an hour of audio books each night.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

... I was the same way in school, I never wanted to read on my own, but I always enjoyed to books I had to read. Snacks and incentives and all that are not needed. It's not an ordeal or moans and groans...

No, snacks not *needed* here, either, as there were no moans or groans about reading.

But snacks *can* increase the "fun factor." 😉 And it's always nice to mix things up a bit. It can help students look forward to doing an activity just a bit more. And just plain create great memories. 😉 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ellie said:

Some people just never love to read.

For myself, I don't assign reading. I read aloud to my dc from books I thought they'd enjoy or that I thought it was important for them to hear/read, which they also enjoyed. We went to the library weekly and they could check out as many books as they wanted or none at all. 

Your dc are probably expending their reading strength on what you have required and have nothing left for free reading. If it's important to you that they read the books on those lists, then keep doing that, because those are good books. If you want them to read on their own, then lighten up on the required reading, and maybe read aloud to them from books on the lists.

It's funny, they do enjoy the books we read, I'm just not sure they would pick up a book if I didn't assign it.  

• Like 1

Just now, Lori D. said:

No, snacks not *needed* here, either, as there were no moans or groans about reading.

But snacks *can* increase the "fun factor." 😉 And it's always nice to mix things up a bit. It can help students look forward to doing an activity just a bit more. 😉 

Gotcha.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kand said:

Have you tried starting a book and then leaving it for them to read on their own once they’re into it?  Do you get books from the library below their reading level that aren’t from Mensa or MP lists, just for them to read for fun? There are plenty like that that are well written; it doesn’t mean you need to get Junie B Jones and Spongbob books 😉. I’ve been lucky to have all my kids be avid readers, so I don’t have experience with needing to encourage, but perhaps with lots of good choices and a reading time each day (to themself, not to you), they might enjoy it more. Are their reading skills strong?

We do get lots of books from the library.  I read aloud a lot, they just prefer not to read. Their reading skills are fine. AI was the same way, I've never been much of a reader either. I guess I was just hoping my boys would be.

29 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

If it stresses you out too much right now, do it during some sort of extended vacation that has a time limit? That way, you can go back to what you're doing now if they never pick up a book. 

I may give that a go. I guess my concern is they would NEVER choose a challenging book.

55 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

It's funny, they do enjoy the books we read, I'm just not sure they would pick up a book if I didn't assign it.  

Well, what's wrong with that? Also, if they didn't have so much assigned reading, maybe they would pick up books on their own.

8 minutes ago, Ellie said:

...if they didn't have so much assigned reading, maybe they would pick up books on their own.

One would *wish* that this would happen... 😉

We had nice long summers with no formal school -- not even any bridge math or anything like that -- and the amount of "picking up books on their own" did not increase. 😉 

DSs here just preferred imaginative play, and building things, and running about. Which was great. 😄 And then many many evenings (school year or summer time), they enjoyed getting that "book bonus time" of being in bed with the lights on for an extra 30 minutes, and have whatever reading material they wanted, even if it was more illustrations than words. 😉 

Not a big deal, since they were getting plenty of high quality reads during school, and as read-alouds, and as free-choice and "book bonus time" options.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I may give that a go. I guess my concern is they would NEVER choose a challenging book.

I think they are much more likely to pick a challenging book eventually if they enjoy reading 🙂

My kiddos are both really eclectic with what they pick to read. I try not to give them too much side-eye for reading garbage 😉 . They don't ONLY read garbage. But they've always had a lot of freedom about what they read. 

3 hours ago, Lori D. said:

One would *wish* that this would happen... 😉

We had nice long summers with no formal school -- not even any bridge math or anything like that -- and the amount of "picking up books on their own" did not increase. 😉 

DSs here just preferred imaginative play, and building things, and running about. Which was great. 😄 And then many many evenings (school year or summer time), they enjoyed getting that "book bonus time" of being in bed with the lights on for an extra 30 minutes, and have whatever reading material they wanted, even if it was more illustrations than words. 😉 

Not a big deal, since they were getting plenty of high quality reads during school, and as read-alouds, and as free-choice and "book bonus time" options.

And if it doesn't happen, such is life.

• Like 1

Some kids prefer non-fiction over fiction--you could try strewing some books on topics they are really interested in--sharks, space, woodworking, taking care of pets, whatever. Have you tried magazines? My kids used to love it when Lego Magazine would come every month or two. There are some really fun Star Wars books for elementary kids at various levels (my son went through a lot of Star Wars, LOL!). Or try comic books--at their ages, my son loved Calvin and Hobbes. Your idea to get them hooked on a series is good too--my daughter read all of the original Box Car Children books and many of the later ones as well. Encyclopedia Brown was one I could never get enough of as a kid. Here are some other chapter book series ideas.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, MerryAtHope said:

Some kids prefer non-fiction over fiction--you could try strewing some books on topics they are really interested in--sharks, space, woodworking, taking care of pets, whatever.  Have you ever tried magazines?...

Our school was not relaxed, although maybe in the grades you are mentioning.  We read aloud a lot.  No before bedtime stories here.  I read aloud to them before & during meals, at the park, waiting for food at restaurants, all afternoon long sometimes.  They were allowed to do anything while we shared our book - legos, draw, build with clay, even look at the pictures in other books.   They got hooked on the audio book, too, during required afternoon quiet time (audio book & in room or try to take a nap...which they had no intention of taking!). The non-fiction book love was fed by me who made sure to direct them to the non-fiction part of the library and buy an occasional book used on (the new, then) Amazon of their particular interest du jour.  They liked series (hardy boys, magic tree house, Famous Five, American girl, etc), and they were motivated to read them because I refused to read them aloud (some books are not meant for the adult to enjoy along side IMO).

By 2nd/4th grade, like your DC, ours were enjoying print in the ways described above (and their screen time was very low, easier to do when I also did not have more than a desktop), but they weren’t reading alone any more than yours are.  I do think that reading skill has to catch up to comprehension.  What I mean is that our children were so used to getting it coming at them quickly by read aloud that reading fiction was too slow.  That is what a good series can do.  I really like the suggestion of @kand, to read enough chapters of a fiction book to get child hooked, then leave it for them to finish.  My first avid reader was in third grade before he read a whole book to himself.  It was A Lion to Guard Us.  His skill had progressed enough that he could read it with ease, and it wasn’t such a simple story as many early reader series books are (which he thought many were silly).  We both read it & teased each other that each would be the first to finish it & we’d hide it from each other.  Good memory.

If you read to them, listen to audio books at home or abroad, get them fiction in topics of interest (maybe doing a 15 minute quiet ‘book look’ time together each day), you’ll raise readers.  

ETA - not all of our dc read to themselves a lot or much at all now, though.  I still think of them as readers, because they listen to podcasts/audiobooks and read articles plenty.  It is because the more hands-on hobbies they had made listening more efficient than reading. 

Edited by Familia
  • Like 2

OP, it sounds like you've done a great job teaching your kids to read and are happy with the progress they've made, but would like to see them choose to pick up books more often.  I have two at those ages as well, and although the jury is still out on whether they'll be big readers as adults, I think we've made progress on reading for enjoyment this year.

A game changer around here was ditching audiobooks at bedtime in favour of "Now it's time to sleep, but if you'd like to read a book in bed you may."  Suddenly, reading was a privilege tied to staying up late instead of a chore to complete for assigned minutes.  Audiobooks are still available during playtime for those who want them.

I've also had good success buddy reading at night time with one kid at a time - so I pick a novel I think the kid will like, and we take turns reading a page each over however many nights it takes.  Then it's the other kid's turn with their own book.  I often deliberately pick series books, and often rather than wait a week or two for their turn to come around again, they go ahead and read the next book on their own 🙂  Sometimes, they also talk up the book so much that the other kid reads it on their own time too.

I used to only read when they were in bed - when else is there time? - but the past year or so I've begun deliberately picking up a book for half an hour in the middle of the day where they can see me, and talking about things I'm reading and discussing in an adult book club.  I think that for them to actually see me read physical books for me - not just read on a screen or read to them - has helped raise the profile of reading in their eyes.

A book club friend mentioned an idea I want to try: when she feels like her kid is in a reading rut, she takes him to the bookstore, they each pick themselves a new book, and then they go to the coffee shop and read the first chapter or two with a drink and snack.  I think this is a lovely way to show that reading is cherished (you're investing money and time) and also connect it to good feelings (one on one time and a treat).

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 8:06 PM, Elizabeth86 said:

Sometimes we need to stop looking at other people and thinking we're doing it wrong just because our path looks different.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Sometimes we need to stop looking at other people and thinking we're doing it wrong just because our path looks different.

Yes. So true an what is funny is that I feel 💯 confident I'm doing things bright with #3 and #4,but I still always feel I never know what's best for #1 and #2.