Menu

The Pillars of the Earth question (only if you've read it and there may be spoilers)

This book is always checked out at the library and when I look for it at Half Price Books, it's also not available. So I just checked out the book on CD.

So far, I am fascinated with it. It's got the makings of a good epic. The writing is wonderful and I love the mental images I'm able to have because of the writing (not to mention the narrator is great too).

But I'm becoming disturbed at the sexual references. Are there going to be a lot of these throughout the book? I am just now to the part where he is having an "encounter" with the woman of the forest (I don't want to say too much as a spoiler). I really am not interested in reading (or listening to) about sex.

How much more is there going to be so I know whether I want to continue this book (there's a whole lot of CD's left to go, LOL!)?

I'm not sure why the author felt he had to get so in-depth with the sex scenes. The most disturbing one for me was the rape scene where we actually got into the rapists head - not somewhere I want to be. I can't remember how frequent the sex scenes are or how many there were, but I chose to skim past them after that point. I guess it's a lot harder to skim with an audio version :(

Wow, I didn't remember that at all, and I've read the book several times! I had to get my copy off the shelf to refresh my memory. I don't think I would like to listen to it as an audiobook, mostly because I listen to audiobooks without headphones and wouldn't want my son to hear that! It didn't bother me while reading myself, but I may well have skimmed those parts.

The violent sex was the only thing I didn't like about these books. I was just commenting to my husband that it was too bad there was so much gratuitous sex, because they would otherwise be great books for my teens.

I thought the violent sex was a valid part of the character development. I agree that there was too much gratuitous sex.

I understand that we all have different levels of comfort for adult themes. I understand that it does not bother you and I have no intention of arguing that.

I'm just wondering, based on how much of the book is left to listen to, approx. how many more scenes there will be. And now I'm wondering if there is more than one violent sex act, or just the one?

I read both Pillars of the Earth and World Without End, and don't remember which sex scenes were in which book. There is definitely more than one. IIRC, there are more in the second book than the first.

I loved these books, and highly recommend them. I do agree that some of the violent sex scenes were important for character development. I just think it was overdone.

I understand that we all have different levels of comfort for adult themes. I understand that it does not bother you and I have no intention of arguing that.

I'm just wondering, based on how much of the book is left to listen to, approx. how many more scenes there will be. And now I'm wondering if there is more than one violent sex act, or just the one?

The one violent sex act is the worst. There are other violent scenes, mostly by the same character.

I don't remember how many other sex scenes there are. I didn't think all the sex was necessary for character development, but they didn't really bother me except that I don't really want my kids reading the books until they are adults. As someone else said, the book is written for adults.

It's still one of my favorite books ever.

Yeah, I went ahead and returned the audio CD's to the library tonight. It's impossible to fast forward those scenes on my iPod (it's the original shuffle, so forwarding moves it to the next track) without missing more parts of the story. So I will continue to wait for it to become available at the library where I can turn those pages and not read them; because so far, I am really enjoying the story.

Thanks, all!

Edited by Janna

Coming late to this party...

I read Pillars years ago and am now reading World Without End. The s*x scenes are disturbing, proving that Follett is a great author to get us so riled up. I despise William!!

Anyway, I'm going to try and black out and/or cut out pages so my dc can read these. After all, we are doing middle ages lit this year. Good Medieval twaddle is hard to come by :)

I'm so glad this thread came up. I have read Pillars of the Earth and was thinking of giving it to DS and I'd completely forgotten about the sex scenes. Other than them it's such a great read and so worthwhile reading about medieval England. Beth I'd love to hear how you get on with the creative editing.

Coming late to this party...

I read Pillars years ago and am now reading World Without End. The s*x scenes are disturbing, proving that Follett is a great author to get us so riled up. I despise William!!

Anyway, I'm going to try and black out and/or cut out pages so my dc can read these. After all, we are doing middle ages lit this year. Good Medieval twaddle is hard to come by :)

I would rather wait until my dc are mature enough for the entire content than edit a book in a way the author never intended. I cannot bear the thought of someone using black marker on a book. :(

Surely there are other books from this time period that are suitable for dc.

I would rather wait until my dc are mature enough for the entire content than edit a book in a way the author never intended. I cannot bear the thought of someone using black marker on a book. :(

:iagree:

William wouldn't be nearly so nasty if you edited out the s*x scenes. I think it is best saved until the child is old enough. The scenes are short and few, but a couple are very violent.

I did love the book. It gave such a wonderful feel for everyday life and the complex politics of the time. He is very descriptive.

Really? Its not like its a classic, like my Grandmother's copy of The Iliad on my shelf. I don't have a problem blacking out the "bad" parts in Pillars. Then I won't have to look at it again. I don't even know how Follett came up w/ some of that :(. I appreciate his ability to engage the reader, but come on! Is that rape scene necessary? It would not have detracted from the intricate story line had that scene been left on the cutting room floor. Oops, I guess that's only in movies. :)

Yep, and we've read a bunch. We're have a ball w/ middle ages lit. Dc is hooked on Beowulf and Sir Gawain. Great stuff. Next week is A Door In The Wall.

Pillars of the Earth is one of my favorite books. I did think toward the end that there were some gratuitous sex scenes in the book that did not add to the character development or plot. I will say though that some of the other scenes really impressed upon me how vulnerable common people were to those around them with power, especially women. I don't think it would have been as reflective of human behavior without those scenes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeanestMomInMidwest viewpost.gif

Beth in SW WA replies:

Really? Its not like its a classic, like my Grandmother's copy of The Iliad on my shelf. I don't have a problem blacking out the "bad" parts in Pillars. Then I won't have to look at it again. I don't even know how Follett came up w/ some of that :(. I appreciate his ability to engage the reader, but come on! Is that rape scene necessary? It would not have detracted from the intricate story line had that scene been left on the cutting room floor. Oops, I guess that's only in movies. :)

There is always the option of not reading the book at all. By censoring the book, you run the chance of your dc enjoying it, seeking out other Follet works, and being surprised at the maturity. We both agree on the unsuitability for children of this book.

Some would argue that Follett is a great author simply for provoking such a conversation as has been had on this board.

We'll have to disagree about defacing books.

It was probably 15 or so years ago. A co-worker gave it to me. I loved it, but I would have to put it down occasionally because I just knew something bad was about to happen. It reminds me of the "book in the freezer" episode of Friends.

I haven't read World Without End. I'd like to read POTE again, first. Hmmm... Maybe I'll get WWE for DH for Christmas.

I'm not sure why the author felt he had to get so in-depth with the sex scenes. The most disturbing one for me was the rape scene where we actually got into the rapists head - not somewhere I want to be. I can't remember how frequent the sex scenes are or how many there were, but I chose to skim past them after that point. I guess it's a lot harder to skim with an audio version :(

second. while I loved *so* much of this book. there were a lot of icky/uncomfortable sex scenes....and the rape one was awful.....ended up skimming till I was past it. I skimmed/skipped all of the violent parts. I just can't deal;/

There are many more sex scenes to come. I agree that was the part of the book that was a little over the top, and there were many parts that I felt were gratuitous and unecessary.

The same can be said about World Without End, although I felt it wasn't nearly as good as Pillars. I had a hard time getting through World Without End, while I couldn't devour Pillars fast enough.