Menu

would you eat these?

ProudGrandma

I am making cookies today.  I made a huge batch and all was fine.  But then I went to make another batch...and the 2 eggs I cracked were all funky.....one was dark inside and one was really runny.  Needless to say I tossed both of those eggs.  But now i am concerned that the previous batch of cookies might be ok...although, I always take a whiff of my eggs before using them and they smelled fine.  What do you think?  Would you be concerned?  The other 2 eggs (bad), didn't have a strong smell either, so I am just not sure...what would do?  These cookies are for my college kids and I don't want to make anybody sick. 

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Seasider too said:

So, the eggs you cracked for the second batch gave you pause, but you noticed nothing similar, nothing to give you pause, when you opened eggs for the first batch?

I’d go ahead and crack the rest of the carton, see if any others seem off. If several of those are funky, toss it all. If not, keep the cookies and have an omelette for dinner. 

there were 4 eggs left....the first of the 4 were fine...nothing alarming...the last 2...not so much...

17 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Oh no!

I don’t usually get too fussed but yeah, I’d probably lean toward the paranoid in this case also. I hope you have another carton of eggs and can try again. 

There are definitely days that throwing away cookies could send me to tears...

Same here. Specifically, those days would be Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. 😉 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

there were 4 eggs left....the first of the 4 were fine...nothing alarming...the last 2...not so much...

So, you had eaten 8 eggs from the carton with no trouble?  Have I got that right? If I did, then I would not worry about the previously-made cookies. But as others have said, I might keep them for myself just to be safe. 😎

I would be fine with the first batch. Eggs in a carton aren’t always the same age. I’ve floated a dozen and had some totally float while others don’t float at all.  I think sometimes stores take multiple cartons of eggs that contain a few cracked ones and combine them. So your couple of duds might have come from a different carton in the first place.  
But maybe I’m just trying to justify not throwing out cookies.