Menu

Who's going to tackle Tuesday with me?

Jean in Newcastle

Good morning!

The usuals are done. I got groceries last night but could not find fresh chicken tenderloins at two stores. The meat guy at Kroger told me to come back about 10 this morning. 

• coffee
  • bible study groups online
  • meals 
  • go get chicken
  • school with ds
  • prep for math classes tomorrow
  • tidy house
  • make dinner for us and pastor's family
  • deliver meal
  • watch Netflix

Edited by mom31257
  • Like 4

If you pray, please pray for my family. We already have some big stress and challenges. Feels like a spiritual attack. Now my Dd is having anxiety issues that are keeping her from sleeping. Not a wink last night. Despite very good sleep hygeine habits, some melatonin, and eventually some Benadryl. School work is not getting done and she has outsourced classes that are challenging. 

Not even sure whom to call first or what to do. I SO do not want to go the medication route, but she has to sleep! 

Pediatrician is my first thought.  The covid risk there makes me uncomfoartable, but no one will prescribe without actually seeing her. 
Counseling center where Ds has been a client.
Psychiatrist, though their practice is only seeing patients remotely and I'm not sure that will help. But medication may be helpful or necessary. 

• Sad 4

Good morning!

Today is a cut and paste day. I was busy all day yesterday, but somehow managed to cross off hardly anything on my list. 

• office work - bills & end of the month things
  • fill out car paperwork
  • post office & bank
  • make grocery order
  • keep horses cool - another heat advisory today
  • vacuum - the whole house needs it
  • dinner: buffalo mac and peas
  • Like 4

Dd decided she wants to go to her tutorial, so is up, eating, and working on finishing hw.

I dropped Ds at school and got gas. Headed to work - literacy screenings again today.  

Later:

lunch with a friend  

errands - Whole Foods and Trader Joe's  No time.

tutor two students  One cancelled due to sickness.

CSA pick up - veggies and meat today  

Dinner is something fast and easy that I pick up today at the store. Dinner is chx stir fry

AHG things tonight

and reading Beowulf! 

And a walk!

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 4

Well, awesome Hurricane Laura is shifting back to being a direct hit to the Houston area, and now projected to be probably a Category 3 at landfall, and "my" weather guy (the one I like/follow) has said that compared to Ike several years ago, this one is more or less same intensity/stronger, moving faster, and thus hurricane force winds will make it further inland than normal/than what I thought, so.....hmm. (still, advice is "run from water, hide from wind" which means we stay put and hope our windows hold up....)

My mom is planning to evacuate to us (she's coastal), but she's not social distancing at all anymore (well, hmm, she was, but as of late she's found a boyfriend, and they are very not social distancing, and he's a police officer, and add in restaurant eating, etc, etc, etc. and......oofda. Not loving the risk she now poses to us; DH just texted and said check on motels near us, so....)

So, today:
...watch the storm projections
...figure out if we're letting my mom come here, booking her a motel, or what
...figure out if anyone else has to evacuate to us either (a few other family members are coastal as well but may or may not choose to come to us)
...get kids up and going for what school they have today
...do the stuff I need to help DS with for his school 

...get my stuff ready for tomorrow, in case we aren't cancelled for the hurricane (need to assemble the little light kits for the kids, and unpack/repack my bag for 2nd grade)
...lunch.....???
...dinner??? figure out a plan, DH now does M/W, I do T/Th (and likely F/S/S, but we tend to deal with those together)

...laundry?? I need to see what needs doing on that and do some

Coffee. Lots of coffee. 

Edited by TheReader
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Selkie said:

(((Reader))) Prayers for your safety.

thanks; I *think* we should be fine. We're fairly well inland, so for sure we're safe from any storm surge and all, and then we're on the westerly side (if it keeps the current track) which I *think* puts us on the less windy/less "dirty" side also, and while we don't have plywood for the windows we do have duct tape, which for some reason is what everyone does??? I have no idea. We've never boarded up, any place I've lived, and we've never had a broken window, so......? I think we'll be okay. 

Talked to my mom who personally feels okay staying put, but who also says if we put her in a motel, that's okay, she understands. So need to talk to DH and see what he thinks, and make sure he's considering the issue of what if her place gets damage, and how long until she moves back into it, because we can't motel her for ages. But maybe the 3 days in a motel will be enough "quarantine" for his peace of mind, and then he'll be okay with her here if needed after....?? 

The folks in her apt all say "oh, it's fine, we should be okay" and are mostly all staying, but none are factoring in that during the last hurricane like this that hit that location, they had another building between them and the coast.....which was damaged so much as to need to be demolished after......so now it's just bare ground between them and the coast, so their building will take the full force of the winds when they hit (and mom is on the top floor, and on the side facing the coast). So while she personally would be okay from the storm surge, on the top floor, the winds are a risk for sure. :sigh: 

Anyway, I'll keep y'all posted. 

• Like 4

I'm not really sure about today.  It's not gonna sound stressful to anyone else, but to me I feel like my brain is secretly imploding.  I think it's kuz I can't seem to get a good focus on work, and that's going to catch up with me if I don't figure it out.

The kids' marching band timing has been changed.  Because it's all outdoors, they have to send everyone home if it rains, so they want us to pick up at noon instead of 3. 

Kids both managed to break their instruments last week, so I should try to use this afternoon to try to go to the fixit store if possible. 

Then they have a private music lesson at 4pm.

Kid1 has soccer tryouts from 6-8.  Also cross country at 6:30, but obviously she can't do both.

Laundry - at least 1 load, plus process what's in the washer & dryer.  Need to wash & dry the soccer practice shirt that my kid wore last night, to use again tonight.

Client work - lots due / overdue and weighing on my mind.

Whatever else gets done.  Feels like there are some deadlines getting close that I need to remember.

Oh, and my yoga & walking & reading ....

• Like 5

Talked to mom, got her motel reservation, made a plan for taking her meals while there as needed. Motel has free hot breakfast, fridge/microwave in the room, wifi, tv, etc., and we can bring her lunches/dinners &/or take her grocery shopping when she gets here and stock the mini fridge. She's understanding about our concerns (it helps that DH even made *me* shower the minute I walked in yesterday after my classes.....). 

We're officially in the tropical storm warning radius, so that is actually comforting to know (means lower level winds in our area), so we should be fine. 

Waiting on a mom to drop off tuition checks, then will do math with DS. 

I'll do frozen pizzas for lunch, and......still figuring out dinner. 

• Like 4

Started laundry

Washed kitty bowls & cleaned litter boxes

Swept mudroom

Scooped yard

Let horses down early to graze - they are back up now and already covered in sweat

Filled horse treat buckets & supplement jars

Made breakfast for dh

Went through emails

• Like 4

fasting bloodsugar logged.  - not a record low but my bloodsugars in general are inching down, which is very good.  (My estimated a1c is now in the pre-diabetic range but I am still on an extremely low dose of meds to help me out.)

cleaned up after Neko

fed Neko and Juliet. 

fed myself

medicated myself

medicated Juliet

logged food, water, carbs

updated Sparkpeople blog

Second day of lower body PT exercises.  Let's see if I can move after this

made bed

dressed

brushed teeth

• Like 4

Reader, praying for the storm situation and with your mom. 

SKL, I'm sorry it's so stressful! Praying you have the focus you need. 

I ended up going to my doctor's walk in clinic. I have had some jaw and face pain off and on for awhile, and it's worse today and in my ear. Well, I have fluid built up behind the ear drum and it's bulging and inflamed. I start a Zpac today and steroids tomorrow. She wanted to do a steroid shot, but the only time I had one, I was a basket case for 2 weeks. She suggested some homeopathic ear drops. I can't tilt my head enough to get them in without feeling dizzy. I took a nasal decongestant hoping that will clear up some since I won't start the steroids before tomorrow. The pack says to start before breakfast. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Thanks, all; I think we'll likely be okay here at my house. And I'm so glad my mom understands our concerns. 

Amy, that sounds miserable! I hope you feel better soon!

I've managed to:
...answer assorted text messages and emails
...oversee DS15 on TT Algebra I
...work through Language Arts with DS15
...oversee DS15 read the rest of his Biology text  (sidenote: if you'd told me a few years ago that my "so dyslexic he may not ever read" kid would be reading Apologia Biology, on his own, and understanding it enough that it's not just gibberish, I would not have believed you.....yet, here we are. We have come a long long way from "will he even be able to grocery shop on his own??" which as recently as age 10 was one of our fears/concerns.....)
...oversee DS19 on his college math online
...first load of laundry in the dryer, 2nd load in the washer
...lunch was served (frozen pizzas)
...dinner is planned, meat thawing (tacos)
...checked with directors about whether we're meeting tomorrow or not (still in wait & see mode) (the district we follow for that is online only right now, so not sure...)
...logged all the checks/tuition payments from parents so far

DH is out & about, I think I'm going to nap before my mom heads this way, as I'll need to meet her at the motel when she arrives.....

• Like 3

Bother - started working on another course description and cannot find the psych text that we used.  Nevermind.  Typed that, then got an idea.  Found the right book online so that I was able to use the information there. 

Wrote another course description. 

Done with 10th grade.  Except for Japanese which I'm still figuring out how to parse out. 

• Like 3

The district we follow did close/cancel classes, so I assume that means we are as well, but the directors haven't emailed yet. 

Mom has not left yet to head out here; she is going to run into traffic, at this point. 

Switched laundry from washer to dryer (and dryer to basket, to fold later on). 

Didn't take the nap a little earlier, b/c DH was on the way home, so now he's home and mom still isn't on the way yet, so now taking the nap I think. 

• Like 3

Did some more file organization.  While I was doing that, I suddenly realized that I had totally the wrong dates on the course descriptions for dd  - I was somehow using the dates for her 4 year older brother.  Oops!  Fixed that. 

Have things set up for 11th and 12th grade so that it will be easier to work on those two years. 

• Like 3

Okay, got Mom settled; she *had* left, but texted my sister instead of me. Oops. 

Checked on a return to Amazon (third party seller) -- package was received 6 days ago, still no refund, so processed/requested it through Amazon. Just noticed today in the super fine print of the seller, that not only would they not plan on refunding the expedited shipping that I paid for (on an item that ended up being not what was listed), they also would charge a 20% restocking fee for any order over $25 (this was $28).  As the listing was for a 4-Book Set (Singapore level 2), and I only received ONE Of the workbooks, I really hope Amazon processes a full refund under their A to Z guarantee thing. Especially as the seller has not communicated at all since. Ugh. 

DH is driving me batty, as he asked, after I got mom settled in the hotel, "should we invite her over for dinner....? Or does that defeat the purpose....?"   Umm, dear, you are the one insisting on paying for 3 nights in a motel for her. And you did already tell her we'll cook/bring her dinner. If you want to bring her hear for dinner.....yes, that a little bit makes it crazy that you're making her sleep in a motel, but hey, whatever.  I think he's decided he will, instead, send me to eat with her. Which again cracks me up and makes no sense. I'd pictured, honestly, something like taking our portable picnic table, camp chairs, etc, and eating in the parking lot as long as the weather holds.......(or invite her hear for socially distanced backyard eating). 

Directors have *still* not messaged or emailed, so I don't know what's going on. I'm going to email another teacher friend and see if she's heard. 

Getting set to cook dinner in a bit. 

• Like 4