Menu

Course Descriptions

Nicholas_mom

Do I include 12 grade courses in the course description?  I know the transcript will include 12 grade classes.  Ds has such diverse interests from animation to illustration to creative writing that I am trying to figure out a course name for his creative outlet.  Our homeschool evaluator said to write everything creative he does and how many hours and lets see what we can call it at the end of the year.

The problem is what do I call it for College Applications?  Senior Project?  and then name it at the end of the year?

39 minutes ago, Nicholas_mom said:

Do I include 12 grade courses in the course description?

I did.  I marked them as "in progress."

40 minutes ago, Nicholas_mom said:

Our homeschool evaluator said to write everything creative he does and how many hours and lets see what we can call it at the end of the year.

The problem is what do I call it for College Applications?  Senior Project?  and then name it at the end of the year?

"Senior Project" sounds good.  Keep in mind that he will have already gotten into colleges by the end of the year and that submission of his final senior grades is just to ensure that he hasn't slacked off during the spring semester.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Nicholas_mom said:

Did you describe the 12th grade course or did you just write the name of course?

I described each senior course.  In the title, I put "Course Name - IN PROGRESS," used the future tense throughout, and said which resources were planned (as opposed to used).

Edited by EKS
  • Like 1

Not everything your son does needs to be a course.  If he doesn't need units and he already has a full academic schedule, you could make this an independent project outside of school.  Especially if it defies description and would be better described in an essay or in answer to another question.  

Another homeschooling hack is to find some key words in what he is doing and search on that along with "course description" and you may locate a similar course offered by another high school or university.  

• Thanks 1

On the transcript and course description, what do those of us do who aren’t super sure what our exact plan is?  My daughter is considering taking a couple of DE classes in the winter term, but hasn’t decided for sure.  Can we just say calculus and then for the final transcript possibly label it differently?  I assume it is always ok to do more than was stated in the fall.

• Like 2

On the transcript and course description, what do those of us do who aren’t super sure what our exact plan is?  My daughter is considering taking a couple of DE classes in the winter term, but hasn’t decided for sure.  Can we just say calculus and then for the final transcript possibly label it differently?  I assume it is always ok to do more than was stated in the fall.

Good question.  We haven't decided what to do about Spring course for dual enrollment, or even we will have him do a Spring course for dual enrollment.  Is it ok that a potential Spring course in dual enrollment not listed in the Fall, suddenly show up at the End of Year Transcripts?

Am I over thinking this (lol)?????

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2020 at 9:54 AM, Nicholas_mom said:

We haven't decided what to do about Spring course for dual enrollment, or even we will have him do a Spring course for dual enrollment.  Is it ok that a potential Spring course in dual enrollment not listed in the Fall, suddenly show up at the End of Year Transcripts...

I had a few entries on my daughter's transcript for spring term that simply said To Be Determined. When I created the transcript in the fall, I did not know what courses the local community college would offer in the spring. 

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3