Menu

Long distance classes problem

My son is doing three subjects via the France government. French,math and Spanish. (We're French speakers, so these are all taught in French)

I've always known my son has a problem with "output". He refuses to do his best work. "Input" is more than fine. He learns easily, too easily. He does enjoy learning, but not showing his work. He refuses to write, and fill workbooks for instance.

That's the main reason he's now taking long distance classes. He's got to send in written work for evaluation every two weeks.

Well, he's also learning the hard way that his work is not up to par. We get his marks, but also the average for the class, the lowest and the highest mark. His is always the lowest, or one point above the lowest. Definitely C material, not the A+ he always thought he was worth.

Now, to my question, those long distance classes are meant to be self-taught. Everything's in the book. Mom and Dad dont have to lift a finger, except to make sure the child does sit at a table once in a while. I'm wondering how I can supervise and show him how to take a long distance class, or if I should just let him quasi-fail? BTW, those marks are intended to be presented to colleges and universities later down the road. So letting him fail will have serious consequences.

If your children have taken long distance classes, what kind of supervision did you do, if any?

My dd does online school and answers to teachers. This yr. she has six classes, so its a heavy load. I supervise her schedule, due dates.and check over worked turned in and give input when needed.

A couple months in I back off on checking of the work.

Hope helps.

Some of my public-schooled kids have similar issues.

What I've done that seems to have worked/be working:

• Point out details of projects or assignments with high marks so he can see specific things he can improve. (If you don't have this in the online class, I'd contact the teacher for this feedback.)
  • Seek information on learning styles or issues that might be affecting his ability to create good output. Use this not as an excuse but to help him figure out how to work around or improve weaknesses. (For example, read instructions multiple times during the process of working on a project instead of relying on his memory based on one reading.)
  • Talk with him about his goals for higher education and how his current work patterns and grades will affect that.
  • Allow him to receive the consequences of his effort. I figure it's only going to become more costly the further he goes in his education or career. Better to learn the hard lessons now.

I don't know how much of this applies to your situation, but hopefully some of it is helpful.

My dd is taking her first online classes also. She was shocked by some of her initial grades. Since this is her first attempt, I look at it as an opportunity to help her manage her time with the goal being that she would do this herself later on. Kind of like dipping into college expectations while still at home.

After the first poor test score, I looked over the test with her to see what she got wrong. Then I went through the materials to find out where she perhaps missed out in studying (she has online lectures, class notes, textbooks, online videos & a study guide), so she could better study those parts later.

Then we scheduled out each day what she was to do in the class she had trouble with.

I did the scheduling for 2-3 weeks, then I went to a more vague schedule, such as review videos from last chapter, read new ch etc.

It seems to have worked. I also reminded her to study. I'm backing off of that now, so she can take the consequences of a poor grade if she doesn't study enough.

Sounds like you could appeal to his sense of pride. You could try saying "Wow. How embarrassing," and leaving him to consider it.

Rosie

Hmm, my son did ask if others could see his name, and I said no (which is the truth)

And with him, he would rather not try than be embarrassed. That would be the perfect way to make him quit something.

I would sit with the child and help them learn the skills to be more independent. Last year, we tried the distance learning to take something off mom's plate. Well, I still had to be on him. I still had to look over his work. I still had to help him manage his time. I am willing to let him fail on his dime, but not on mine. I won't do the work for him, but I will mentor him on doing the best he can. This year, we are still having to do this. In fact, one of the distance learning classes recognizes that most kids still need some supervision and have the parents sign a contract agreeing to keep up to date on what the child is doing and to provide structure and guidance at home.

I learned the hard way too. I had my dd do long distance Latin with Cambridge, and she failed. I had paid a lot of money to have someone ELSE teach her Latin, but in the end I realised I couldn't just hand it over- and this is my bright, academically motivated kid. She just wasn't able to manage the motivation needed to thrive in the online format. She did eventually pass the Latin. She had had thw same experience with French the year before but I hadn't twigged. Both times, we would have done much better to have me check her work and monitor her daily.

I think many kids just arent ready to completely handle their own online classes and work, and they need input from a parent. If it were my other child, I would think it was just him- but this dd is quite conscientious and she struggled. She is now doing some online writing classes, but the teacher gives lots of feedback daily and it seems to keep her motivated.

Your son may just need some moral support and supervision to be able to thrive in the situation.

Yeah!

I did a lot of supervising for his third French homework. I didn't supply answers or ideas but I did make sure he stayed on track, re-reading the requirements as often as needed to get everything on paper..

I literally breathed down his neck.

Then I came here and asked for advice. Should I be *that* present?

Well, it seems so! He got 20/20 on that homework!

Yeah!

I did a lot of supervising for his third French homework. I didn't supply answers or ideas but I did make sure he stayed on track, re-reading the requirements as often as needed to get everything on paper..

I literally breathed down his neck.

Then I came here and asked for advice. Should I be *that* present?

Well, it seems so! He got 20/20 on that homework!

My now-graduated daughters both did online classes starting at about age 14-15. The distance learning format is a tough one to master. There isn't a teacher in your face every day and depending on how the course feedback and gradebook is structured, it can be hard to keep track of what assignments are completed and which ones need more attention.

I found I could not be relatively "hands-off" with them until they were about 16-17yo, and then only after they had been working in the online environment for several semesters.

It looks like your son is only 11yo- I personally would expect it to be several more years before he could take the responsibility for seeing the work through with little to no parental assistance.

Edited by Tokyomarie

It looks like your son is only 11yo- I personally would expect it to be several more years before he could take the responsibility for seeing the work through with little to no parental assistance.

That's what I was about to say, as well. 11 is quite young - I for sure wouldn't just let him fail or anything like that.....I know my dd11 wouldn't be able to work independently through an online class.....actually, she'd hate an online class - but that's just her. ;)

Does he enjoy this work? Does he see "why" he's taking the classes? Is it interesting? (seriously - I can remember taking some classes in school and being bored. out. of. my. skull. because the material was as interesting as watching paint dry.) Does the format of delivery work well with his learning style? Just a few questions that might have something to do with it.....