Menu

Possible Covid in the family and a question

Tenaj

Our oldest ds (married with 3 kids, one on-the-way) became sick on Tuesday night and has had a fever on and off since then.  He went to a pop-up covid testing center on Wednesday but results are not back yet.  Assumption is that he was exposed at work as there have been two confirmed positive covid tests there this week.  We have not been around him or anyone in his immediate family for two weeks.  

However, our 23yods works in the same office.  May not have been exposed to the same workers however but spent all day Tuesday working directly with oldest and spent hours in a car with him traveling to a remote office.  He then came to our house directly after work to get his tax returns finished up and spent most of the evening here before returning to his apartment.

We're all anxiously awaiting my oldest's test results of course, 23yods has no symptoms (unless they have started this morning).  What's the protocol on this?  Should we be staying home until those test results come in because we assume that the 23yods was exposed and was here that evening?  We canceled our plans for a birthday party for a younger son last night to keep grandparents and elderly aunt away.  When I say party, I mean just our family but that involves 18 people when everyone comes so even that is dangerous when so many hot spots are close by.  

Our main concern is church tomorrow.  Masks are required (finally!) and we are careful to socially distance but my dh and I are concerned and not quite sure if we should go or not?  To be honest, I'm convinced that we should isolate until those test results are in but my dh isn't sure.

• Sad 3

7 minutes ago, JanOH said:

Our oldest ds (married with 3 kids, one on-the-way) became sick on Tuesday night and has had a fever on and off since then.  He went to a pop-up covid testing center on Wednesday but results are not back yet.  Assumption is that he was exposed at work as there have been two confirmed positive covid tests there this week.  We have not been around him or anyone in his immediate family for two weeks.  

However, our 23yods works in the same office.  May not have been exposed to the same workers however but spent all day Tuesday working directly with oldest and spent hours in a car with him traveling to a remote office.  He then came to our house directly after work to get his tax returns finished up and spent most of the evening here before returning to his apartment.

We're all anxiously awaiting my oldest's test results of course, 23yods has no symptoms (unless they have started this morning).  What's the protocol on this?  Should we be staying home until those test results come in because we assume that the 23yods was exposed and was here that evening?  We canceled our plans for a birthday party for a younger son last night to keep grandparents and elderly aunt away.  When I say party, I mean just our family but that involves 18 people when everyone comes so even that is dangerous when so many hot spots are close by.  

Our main concern is church tomorrow.  Masks are required (finally!) and we are careful to socially distance but my dh and I are concerned and not quite sure if we should go or not?  To be honest, I'm convinced that we should isolate until those test results are in but my dh isn't sure.

Do you want to know what is the ethical thing to do, or what is demanded of you by law and guidelines?

Ethically, you and DH should stay home. Period. 

Look at it this way. If oldest DS does come up postive, and then DS23 tests and is positive....and then you test positive....would you feel good about having to call everyone at the church and let them know they were exposed? I know you will mask and distance, but would you go if you already had tested positive? I  assume not. So don't go now. 

Not having the positive result doesn't mean you are not potentially contagious. That is how this thing spreads. People are getting together in small groups while waiting on test results, or in small groups unmasked not knowing they are exposed. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 7

Yes, I would isolate until the test results are back.  

Is the younger son getting tested as well?  I couldn't quite tell from your post.  It sounds as if he's faced multiple potential exposures, not only from the older brother.  If he hasn't been tested, and has access to tests (I know they're still pretty constrained in parts of Ohio) I'd urge him to do so.

(( hugs ))  I hope you hear back soon.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ktgrok said:

Do you want to know what is the ethical thing to do, or what is demanded of you by law and guidelines?

Ethically, you and DH should stay home. Period. 

Look at it this way. If oldest DS does come up postive, and then DS23 tests and is positive....and then you test positive....would you feel good about having to call everyone at the church and let them know they were exposed? I know you will mask and distance, but would you go if you already had tested positive? I  assume not. So don't go now. 

Not having the positive result doesn't mean you are not potentially contagious. That is how this thing spreads. People are getting together in small groups while waiting on test results, or in small groups unmasked not knowing they are exposed. 

Thank you for spelling it out.  That's what I've been trying to tell dh but you expressed it much more efficiently!  I told him last night that we need to assume we are positive until we know otherwise.   He has an early morning prayer meeting on Saturdays and I did convince him to stay home from that today which wasn't an easy thing to do.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JanOH said:

Thank you for spelling it out.  That's what I've been trying to tell dh but you expressed it much more efficiently!  I told him last night that we need to assume we are positive until we know otherwise.   He has an early morning prayer meeting on Saturdays and I did convince him to stay home from that today which wasn't an easy thing to do.  

Just keep asking him what he's feel like in retrospect, if the test is positive. Would he want to have to make that call and give people that news. Or ask WWJD 🙂

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

Yes, I would isolate until the test results are back.  

Is the younger son getting tested as well?  I couldn't quite tell from your post.  It sounds as if he's faced multiple potential exposures, not only from the older brother.  If he hasn't been tested, and has access to tests (I know they're still pretty constrained in parts of Ohio) I'd urge him to do so.

(( hugs ))  I hope you hear back soon.

I don't think he's gone to be tested yet but I didn't really talk to him yesterday so he may have gone to a pop-up yesterday.  I thought tests were pretty available now but my oldest had to drive out of his county in order to get tested on Wednesday because in his county there were no available spots left.    

I'm assuming his work will encourage/require testing now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JanOH said:

I don't think he's gone to be tested yet but I didn't really talk to him yesterday so he may have gone to a pop-up yesterday.  I thought tests were pretty available now but my oldest had to drive out of his county in order to get tested on Wednesday because in his county there were no available spots left.    

Everyone in the whole world is running out and getting tested right now.  DD18 had several cases at work recently and they had a very hard time getting a spot to get tested.  It took the employees a couple of days to actually get appointments.  

• Like 1

No word yet on eldest's test results.  23yods is just hanging out at his house waiting on those results but feeling fine.  Ironically, it's my dh that is sick today with  . . . . something?  Who knows?  He always gets headaches first when he is sick and he gets really fatigued so both symptoms are totally normal for him when he is coming down with anything.  He has moved to the basement.  No fever but he rarely gets a fever.  In fact, his body temp usually goes down when he is sick and it was at 97 when I took it a bit ago which would be totally normal for him when he is sick.  I am so glad he stayed home from the prayer meeting this morning and of course, church is not even a consideration any more since we have something going on here.  

I'm so thankful that we decided we had some extra exposure over last weekend and had decided not to get together this week at all with my fil, mil and dh's elderly aunt.  My teens had been out and about more than usual and I was worried that something might be brewing with them.  Anyway, no exposure with the most vulnerable in our family for the past 10 days which makes me feel so relieved that whatever this is, they have been isolated from it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Eldest son's test came back negative . . . we think.  What drama!  This morning he received a text saying that test was negative.  DS#2 conveyed the information to his housemates and another close friend and great celebration ensued.  There had been some plans among the young adults that depended on this test result.  45 minutes later, eldest son received a another text:  "Uh, that text was sent by mistake, your test results are still pending".  More drama . . . plans put on hold again.  45 minutes after that another text saying that the test was negative.  We were waiting for another but that one seems to be the last word on the subject.

So, we are taking the last one as correct and acting accordingly.  Back to our "normal cautious" behavior instead of our quarantine behavior for now.  With my large family, my dh and I were talking about that it probably isn't the last time we'll be waiting on test results this year.

Oh, and dh is fine.  He gets migraines once or twice a year and we think that was what it was.  He never had a fever and slept it off and was fine.  All the covid talk though made him wonder rather than just assuming it was his normal routine of migraine.

• Like 4