Menu

Geography for grades 4-6

PeterPan

Anything particularly fun, inspiring, organizing you did for that? Any resources you particularly liked? I know my ds is on the older end of that range, but he doesn't *function* there, functions younger. I'm thinking the MFW ECC would be about the right thought level but it's a little light on the FUN for what I want. But he's not one to write at all. We've done some very light notebooking in the past. I don't know if we could do some country reports with tech. I'm not sure if they're worth it or not. Like did you try to study a LOT of countries or narrow it down? 

I'd just be interested to hear what you did and then I'll see if any of it could work for ds. He also doesn't read books for pleasure or research, so I guess that sort of begs the question of how I thought I was going to do this, lol. (where is the face palm when you need it?) I've done well with lexile controlled nonfiction books that I read him on states or topics, but our stupid libraries are still not open. I think they might reopen eventually with some kind of curbside service, which means I can get books again. Hmm. 

Well anyways, share away. I've been out of the loop and I think my ideas are pretty heavy on old materials and writing.

I just read aloud The Travel Book by Lonely Planet Kids a couple pages at a time.  I printed each of the kids blank line maps of each continent and also a list of all the countries on each map.  As we read about the country, the kids would use colored pencils to color (solid/dots/stripes/spirals/etc) the country on their map and then do that same thing next to that country's name on the "Map Key".  As we colored more and more countries, we would use our key to remind ourselves of the names of our current country's neighbors.

I paired that with Crayola's free country coloring pages.  For example, this is the one for Spain.  They have them for pretty much every country.  I like that the kids have to follow the (often spacial) directions to color the flag, which is something my kids struggle with. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mapping the World by Art?
Visualize World Geography?

Search & Find style books?
Kids' Fun-Filled Search & Find Geography Book (Tallarico)
Big Foot series (Miller)
Cities Around the World (Menzies)
Around the World (Saumante)

Other activity books?
Usborne: Mazes Around the World
Usborne Sticker Picture Atlas of the World
- The Kids' Everything Geography Book -- info + activity pages -- could make a good spine for creating your own study 😄 

cultural geography hands-on?
- make foods -- Eat Your Way Around the World) / listen to music / play games
- make art projects --  Geography Through Art
- play games -- Traditional Children's Games Around the World (free); Around the World in 80 Games (free); Play With Us (book)
- listen to traditional music -- use this list and do online searches for a quick song from that culture/tradition

other fun activities?
- make salt dough maps?
- jigsaw puzzle? -- The Global Puzzle
- listen to geography songs?
- read short myths/folktales from around the world? -- World of Tales (free)
- computer games? -- Where in the World is Carmen San Diego; Shepherd Software games
- browse websites?
Scholastic Global Trek -- cultural geography (for each country: places, basic history/timeline; myths; art & architecture; people; etc.)
- card games? -- Quick Pix Professor Noggin, vol. 1 / vol. 2
- informal board games? -- Risk; Ticket to Ride Europe; Ticket to Ride Asia

workbook for mapping practice?
- Complete Book of Maps & Geography -- gr. 3-6; colorful and fun; we spread this one out over 2 years
- Maps Charts & Graphs, level G -- World Geography (gr. 7, but if you take it slow/do it together orally, it would be quite do-able)
- Discovering the World of Geography, gr. 4-5 = maps/mapping topics; text-heavy and critical thinking-based

visual atlas or book of the world's countries?
The Travel Book: A Journey Through Every Country in the World (Lonely Planet Kids)
Circling the Globe (gr. 5-9)
I love, love, love this book for the middle school ages, but it is almost 30 years old and not been updated/revised; if you're interested, I can attach a few photos of the pages so you can see it

Edited by Lori D.
  • Thanks 1

Wee Folk Art has a variety of country studies called Cultural Connections. They are really meant for early elementary, but the recipes, crafts, and picture books are engaging for older kids too, and it's high on the "fun" side. My 12 y/o still looks at some of the books that we used for those units, especially the Lonely Planet Travel Book. WFA also has a US state study.

Have you ever looked at the Beautiful Feet geography guide that goes with the Holling C. Holling books? I'm planning on using it this year and my kids are excited about it. The maps are really nice and my kiddos can't wait to attack them with their Prismacolors. lol 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always liked the idea of Mapping the World with Art, but I never saw but one sample, so I can't really say how it works. 

What we did- The Complete Book of Maps and Geography. Seems like a boring workbook. But it is colorful, cut/paste, starts super easy, progresses but still not to a lot of writing. My kids liked it. It was fun to them. We didn't usually do bright colored workbooks with cartoony type characters, so it was more fun than creating notebooks from scratch with composition books like we usually did, coloring things ourselves, and than the non colorful Rod and Staff books we used for core subjects. That might be why they liked them. 

Edited by 2_girls_mommy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not this yr, but next, I'm going to design a world geography/culture course around Around the World in 80 Days.  We will map and research as we go along.  We will also incorporate our many different versions of Ticket to Ride (we own Europe, Asia, Germany, US, Rails and Sails, and will be purchasing Africa).    We will reading books for different regions as well.  I'm looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

Beautiful Feet's Around the World with Picture Books might work for something to expand on. Its marketed for K-2 but many of the books listed in the History section (not the required ones listed) are a higher age range. It comes with printable maps to color in from an atlas and recipes. There are you tube links on cultural or biological things from that country. Its notebooking, but not writing.

It does require buying or borrowing a lot of picture books. You'd have to sort through them for age appropriateness, some are clearly more K but they scale up to the longer Demi biographies.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Circling the Globe (gr. 5-9)
I love, love, love this book for the middle school ages, but it is almost 30 years old and not been updated/revised; if you're interested, I can attach a few photos of the pages so you can see it

I think I can see samples on amazon. I've been throwing out some of my really old geography stuff because things change. Thanks for the big list. :biggrin:

8 hours ago, PeterPan said:

I think I can see samples on amazon. I've been throwing out some of my really old geography stuff because things change. Thanks for the big list. :biggrin:

Don't throw them out!  My kids love looking at the atlas I had as a child.  The USSR is fascinating to them.  Plus the funny clothes from "back then..."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

Don't throw them out!  My kids love looking at the atlas I had as a child.  The USSR is fascinating to them.  Plus the funny clothes from "back then..."

Well I'm keeping a few. I have nostalgic tastes, hehe. Thing is, one he doesn't read books (significant reading disability and language issues from his autism) and two I have like 7,000 of them. I've been kinda thinning in a really radical way. Want some? :biggrin:

• Like 1