Menu

Need book recommendations for 9 yr old...

She’s a quirky one and though we have a decent home library, I need to buy some since libraries remain closed . Books we’ve recently loved as read-alouds (some of which she’s rereading alone) are Tuck Everlasting, Wolves of Willougby Chase, The Saturdays (she adores this one), Spider’s Palace (same). She starts and decides she doesn’t like many many books I have in the bookcases . Any recommendations for what I can try next?

Some books my 10 yr old dd loves are The Mysterious Benedict Society books (though we are currently finishing up The Secret Keepers and she likes it even better), The Princess and the Goblin, The Princess and Curdie, Norse mythology (she is currently reading Padraic Colum's version), Redwall series.   I can list others if you need more ideas.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Some books my 10 yr old dd loves are The Mysterious Benedict Society books (though we are currently finishing up The Secret Keepers and she likes it even better), The Princess and the Goblin, The Princess and Curdie, Norse mythology (she is currently reading Padraic Colum's version), Redwall series.   I can list others if you need more ideas.

Oh she did like Princes and the Goblin, will get the Curdie one. Thank you. She liked Secret Garden too—all read alouds but still 😉 

• Like 1

My girls loved the Saturdays.  They tended to like a lot of the older books.  Has your dd read Pippi Longstocking?   (That was hit and miss with my kids.)  

One of their favorites was the Betsy-Tacy series.  It starts when Betsy and Tacy are very young, and the reading level matches it.  As the girls age, the reading level gets harder.  The earlier ones might seem a little slow moving for your dd.  She could maybe start with Heaven to Betsy.

They really liked some of the Carolyn Haywood  books...  I can't remember the reading level of them, and these might be too easy.  They liked her Betsy books (different than the Betsy-Tacy books above), and Primrose Days.

Oh, I know one!  All-of-a-Kind Family.   Also, The Borrowers series.  The Oz books?

My kids started enjoying biographies at around that age.  Twenty and Ten comes to mind, about a Catholic school in a small French village that decides to hide Jewish children. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My daughter is about the same age and read alouds she really enjoyed were Wonder, Tale of Despereaux, The One and Only Ivan, Little House and the Narnia series. She LOVED The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane and really likes Kate DiCamillo in general. She's also enjoyed Pippi Longstocking, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle and Roald Dahl books. There's a cute book we read called Toys Go Out - one of the toys doesn't know what she is and I always loved seeing my kids' reactions at the part when the toy finds out. I also bought a collection of Hans Christian Anderson fairy tales that she's been enjoying (I have older boys and never bought fairy tales before lol) - we discussed similarities/differences of the Snow Queen with Frozen and Lion, Witch and Wardrobe. Your daughter sounds a little advanced - my boys were more advanced readers at this age than my daughter. They enjoyed the Percy Jackson, Gregor the Overlander and Harry Potter series. Not sure if any of these suggestions are acceptable for Classical education but I wanted to contribute to this forum since I've only asked questions and been given help so far. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sweetpotato said:

My daughter is about the same age and read alouds she really enjoyed were Wonder, Tale of Despereaux, The One and Only Ivan, Little House and the Narnia series. She LOVED The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane and really likes Kate DiCamillo in general. She's also enjoyed Pippi Longstocking, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle and Roald Dahl books. There's a cute book we read called Toys Go Out - one of the toys doesn't know what she is and I always loved seeing my kids' reactions at the part when the toy finds out. I also bought a collection of Hans Christian Anderson fairy tales that she's been enjoying (I have older boys and never bought fairy tales before lol) - we discussed similarities/differences of the Snow Queen with Frozen and Lion, Witch and Wardrobe. Your daughter sounds a little advanced - my boys were more advanced readers at this age than my daughter. They enjoyed the Percy Jackson, Gregor the Overlander and Harry Potter series. Not sure if any of these suggestions are acceptable for Classical education but I wanted to contribute to this forum since I've only asked questions and been given help so far. 

She’s actually not advanced at all, most these books I’ve read with her and she just returns to them. We’ve read/listened to all the ones you mention except Narnia. I may be the biggest non-Christian CS Lewis fan but cannot deal with Narnia at all. Odd. Will give it a whirl with her though. We neither one like Little House though we are dutifully trudging through Farmer Boy. 

my son was a huge fan of Gregor and so was I but she stopped at the first one. She’s odd I tell you. I’m going to insist on a revisit for that one. 

I second the Oz books.  The entire series is amazing.  Toys Go Out (three book series) is super cute as well (as mentioned above).  We also love The Land of Stories series.  Long but super captivating.

If she loves The Saturdays she may like other "family" books (including other books about that family. There are several in the series, aren't there?)

Try:

Ballet Shoes (and other books by Noel Streatfeild)

Ten Kids No Pets (wow this book is garbage but I loved it as a kid and my kiddos did too)

Misadventures of the Family Fletcher

The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street (I have *feelings* about the accuracy of this book, but you probably won't.)

The Penderwicks

The All-of-a-Kind Family

The Birchbark House

I'm also thinking Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer, but let's be serious, I'm always thinking that because that book rocks.

22 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

If she loves The Saturdays she may like other "family" books (including other books about that family. There are several in the series, aren't there?)

Try:

Ballet Shoes (and other books by Noel Streatfeild)

Ten Kids No Pets (wow this book is garbage but I loved it as a kid and my kiddos did too)

Misadventures of the Family Fletcher

The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street (I have *feelings* about the accuracy of this book, but you probably won't.)

The Penderwicks

The All-of-a-Kind Family

The Birchbark House

I'm also thinking Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer, but let's be serious, I'm always thinking that because that book rocks.

We love The Penderwicks.  An absolute favorite!

• 2 weeks later...

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place is a fantastic series!

A Little Princess

All-of-a-Kind Family

Pollyanna

Black Beauty

The Penderwicks

D'Aulaires Greek Myths

The Rescuers

Tale of Despereaux

Series of Unfortunate Events

Percy Jackson