Menu

family D&D: surprise shopping help plz

prairiewindmomma

My tween & teens have been running campaigns on the weekends for about a year.  

My tween dd is actually motivated to write as she preps for her campaigns. Today we worked on writing using directional phrases, prepositions, etc.  I need whatever hook I can get in working with her.

They collectively have the 5E Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual, Volo's Guide to Monsters, Xanathar's Guide to Everything, and Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes. They have dice, but not much else. 

If you were to toss $100 into an amazon cart to pick more stuff for them, what would you choose? They are planning an extensive campaign for summer, possibly adding friends over Zoom. With shipping times what they are right now, I need to order in the next week. I realize $100 doesn't go far in the D&D world, but any advice is welcome! Thanks!

1 minute ago, emba56 said:

Do they have miniatures and grid maps? You can play without them, but sometimes it can be helpful.

Not really.  They have been reusing old Toobs and building lego stuff and printing off grid papers.  Ds got a miniatures kit to paint this winter, but he hasn't made much progress. It had a limited character set---more of a see if you like this craft kind of thing.

I'll give this some thought and start looking around. 

My kids also play lots of D&D, and we also use it as a writing activity.

They like their Wizards of the Coast DM screen (sturdy cardboard, helpful information for the DM on the DM's side, fancy graphics on the players' side)

Slyflourish's Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master is a great aid to writing and running adventures.  I think it's also available on Amazon.

We also get a lot of use out of our vinyl battlemat (our is Chessex).  23x26 in fit on our table nicely and still leaves room for all the players' stuff.

We also use a dice tower for dice rolls - keeps the dice contained, and makes a satisfying clatter.  I made our first one out of cardboard and duct-tape, then received a lovely 3d printed one as a gift.  It's great!

We use LEGO minifigs as "miniatures". They are a little too big, but close enough.  The kids like that they are pose-able and can change out hair, hats, accessories etc.

• Thanks 1

I'm the non-D&D player in our household (DS6 literally taught himself to read and write using the Dungeon Master's Guide and Monster Manual when he was supposed to be sleeping), but there's a few things I know get used frequently for their RPGs.  LEGO and board game parts pilfered for characters and terrain (we have the Wrath of Ashardalon game, and they'll repurpose those figures for different campaigns).  Extra clipboards.  Extra printer ink.  Dry-erase grid map.

One thing I wish we had is a dice-rolling mat or tray.  The sound of dice clattering on the wood table drives me crazy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide is a book about countries and geography that is pretty detailed and has at least one race/ class in it.  Tales from the Yawning Portal is a bunch of out of context adventures that might be nice to see examples of different kinds of things.  Storm King's Thunder pairs nicely with Sword Coast's Adventurer's Guide.  It's a series of connected adventures with a giant theme.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Not really.  They have been reusing old Toobs and building lego stuff and printing off grid papers.  Ds got a miniatures kit to paint this winter, but he hasn't made much progress. It had a limited character set---more of a see if you like this craft kind of thing.

I'll give this some thought and start looking around. 

Well, I confess that when we play, we totally get by with free printable figures I got off of the internet and random toys, plus a grid map I made by drawing the lines on a poster board and covering it with contact paper (to be usable with dry erase markers), but if they have a character type they prefer or a long-running character, it can be fun to have a real miniature.

also - fancy dice bags could be fun.

• Like 1

My husband's recommendations:

• Thanks 1