Menu

Resources to go with Story of the World 1?

Hi!  I have twin 9 year olds who are in public school but are now home, likely for the remainder of the school year.   I started Story of the World, Vol. 1 with them this week and am wondering if there is a list somewhere of online or video resources that go with each chapter?  I tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything. Unfortunately, our tiny town library is closed so getting a wide variety of books is difficult right now.   I will take any suggestions or recommendations!

Thank you!

https://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/history/ancient/ancient_history_curriculum.html

Guest Hollow has a free schedule with lots of online activities and recipes, etc.  There are lots of books scheduled which you can skip since the library is closed. Our local library will likely open up in the next couple of weeks for online orders and curbside pick up.  Maybe yours will too.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/18/2020 at 6:46 PM, rjand6more said:

https://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/history/ancient/ancient_history_curriculum.html

Guest Hollow has a free schedule with lots of online activities and recipes, etc.  There are lots of books scheduled which you can skip since the library is closed. Our local library will likely open up in the next couple of weeks for online orders and curbside pick up.  Maybe yours will too.

You can also see if anyone of the books are available online here.   (Or try your local library website...they still offer online books sometimes).  https://openlibrary.org/about/vision

On 4/16/2020 at 7:53 PM, EKS said:

Do you have the activity book?

This. Start with the AG and go from there. 

Our favorite projects from SOTW 1: chx mummy (use the modified directions from these boards, Cave painting, Cuneiform cookies, Roman baths. 

Add a RA story and a few picturebooks and you're all set.

We did The Golden Goblet, Detectives in Togas,  The Children's Homer, and Eagle of the Ninth. 

Fave picturebooks: Brian Wildsmith's Exodus, Ludmilla Zeman's Gilgamesh trilogy, D'Aulaire's Greek Myths (the Audible of this is excellent). 

Have fun!! 

The Activity Book has a lot of ideas. We are doing the Ancients this year, too. We added stuff in for Egypt.... we read some out of the book “The Pharaoahs of Ancient Egypt” and did some art studies, studied a bit of Mummies, did a Jackdaw Portfolio in King Tut.  We are doing Greece right now, so we did a couple of History Pockets about Greece, we are reading Famous Men of Ancient Greece published by Memoria Press. I had also gotten History Odyssey a while back, so I’m mashing some of that that stuff in there, too.  My girls are 3rd and 5th grade.