Menu

History without library supplements

Pintosrock

We are finishing our kindergarten year studying dinosaurs and prehistory. We're ready to dive into ancient history. I have SOTW and Miller's Story of Mankind set, in addition to Green's fictional Tales of Ancient Egypt.. I was planning on adding supplements from the library, but that's clearly out... Can we do this without supplementing? Are there any really good supplements that I should purchase?

We are finishing up SOTW 1 this year.  We read a lot of library books.  The books that I purchased included Rosemary Sutcliff's The Wanderings of Odysseus and Black Ships Before Troy, but if I had to do it again, I'd save the Sutcliff books for the next cycle and go with something less intimidating.  We loved Tales from the Odyssey by Mary Pope Osbourne (6 books total). We also enjoyed Adventures in Ancient Egypt and Adventures in Ancient Greece by Linda Bailey.

Many have loved D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths but it wasn't a hit for us.  Jim Weiss has some CDs on Ancient Egypt, Greece, and Rome as well.  We tried the Ancient Egypt one but didn't love it.

I'll try to think of some more.  

Seriously. Why is the library not an "essential service?" Cause it really kinda is. It's at least as essential as McDonald's. Especially if you are trying to educate your children at home, and it seems like that's pretty much everyone now. 

I get no more story times or craft nights and that stuff. But I live in a pretty major urban area and it's not like there were ever dozens of people at the library when I went in (outside of said events.)

And if you really just don't want people coming and wondering around the library - why couldn't they do like curbside pick-up? We already can request books and they will pull them and put them on a special shelf that you just pick up. The entire checkout system is online. Could they not like bag them up and configure an iPad for the checkout? And if they're really paranoid add 3 or 4 days on from when a book is returned to when it can be checked out again. 

People could get books they need. Librarians keep working. My tax dollars aren't wasted. 

Because yeah the rest of my history year and reading/literature and PK for the little one are not going to work well without the library. We've just about finished up the books we checked out right before they closed. And I just can't buy that many books.  

• Like 2

We're attempting logic stage now, but here are a few books we've really liked for ancients at that first level: 

Aesop's Fables illustrated by Jerry Pinkney https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015QKEESW/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_NgRLEbMJ3D557

Peter Spier's Noah and Jonah  https://www.amazon.com/dp/0440406935/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_6jRLEb9G62GSE

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0385379099/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_YkRLEbAQXMQFB

One Small Blue Bead https://www.amazon.com/dp/0684193345/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_amRLEbXFNPQ7J

DD loved all the D'Aulaires books. 

These are Amazon links, but I buy most books on abebooks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MomN said:

We are finishing up SOTW 1 this year.  We read a lot of library books.  The books that I purchased included Rosemary Sutcliff's The Wanderings of Odysseus and Black Ships Before Troy, but if I had to do it again, I'd save the Sutcliff books for the next cycle and go with something less intimidating.  We loved Tales from the Odyssey by Mary Pope Osbourne (6 books total). We also enjoyed Adventures in Ancient Egypt and Adventures in Ancient Greece by Linda Bailey.

Many have loved D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths but it wasn't a hit for us.  Jim Weiss has some CDs on Ancient Egypt, Greece, and Rome as well.  We tried the Ancient Egypt one but didn't love it.

I'll try to think of some more.  

I found the Sutcliff books and the D'Aulaires books perfect for middle school read alouds. They were too much for elementary for us. 

• Like 1

I second One Small Bead and Aesop's fables. Basically I would suggest one or two books from each time period or culture, not necessarily one from every chapter. We have a large elementary eyewitness type book on Ancient Egyptians. We read a section a day from that over a long period, just moving forward in SOTW. A good book on Greek mythology. Aesop's fables, bible stories, Romans, etc. The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia provides pictures from all cultures. We didn't read it much in elementary, but we used it in middle school. It was nice for pictures in elementary. 

• Like 2

I was just thinking ... you could definitely start SOTW 1 without many resources.  As soon as you hit Ancient Egypt, I would buy 1-2 books (we also bought the Ancient Egyptian Toob and a sand mold of a pyramid to play with).  I did not use an encyclopedia resource as it just didn't work with my 1st grader, but as I said above, Adventures in Ancient Egypt is awesome and engages a 1st grader.  Then you can wait until you get to Ancient Greece, and I'm sure libraries will be open by then (hopefully). For me, the big literature reads for SOTW 1 was a version of The Odyssey and The Iliad and then myths from Egyptian, Greek and Roman times.

On 4/15/2020 at 2:21 PM, JoyKM said:

Sometimes I would use a library book in place of a full section of the read aloud...I really miss our library now!  Have you picked up the Usbourne or Kingfisher resource recommended by the program?  I almost didn’t but am very happy that I snagged a copy from Thriftbooks because now I’m relying on it a lot to make our way through Volume 1.  It has a page for almost every chapter and section, so we look at that first, then read the read aloud while coloring or working on one of the craft projects from the activity book quietly.

Adding to what JoyKM says, both the Usborne Book of World History and the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia are excellent resources you may want to own.  I have been glad to have them in our home since day 1.  If you can only get one for a younger student, my recommendation would be to get the Usborne first, and then the Kingfisher later.  

I have a really small library that is extremely unreliable when it comes to interlibrary loan. So I just purchase what I want and figure I'll use it with younger kids when it's their turn to do ancients. But if you really can't or don't want to do that, then just the activity book for SotW 1 has tons of fun activities to supplement learning. It's not extra reading, obviously, but still provides many hours of fun extra learning and it's just 1 purchase instead of several.

Lots of books are available as a read aloud on Youtube. Two examples...

Bill and Pete Go Down the Nile by Tomie de Paola

One Small Blue Bead by Byrd Baylor

There are also children's documentary type films on Youtube

Mesopotamia Kids by Jherlyn Lopez

Are We There Yet - Egypt: Pyramids by Nat Geo Kids

Another resource I use a lot is Kid's Animated History with Pipo which is free with Amazon Prime

A lot of topics in ancients my library just doesn't have a lot of books on so we supplement heavily with what we can find online.

I know my library has online services we can still use and you can reserve books online or on the phone. Then you call ahead to let them know you  are coming to pick up books and they will leave them on a table outside for you. You can also return books to the outdoor book drop. You might check if any of your local libraries are offering limited services