Menu

Volunteering with children in tow...

In light of my vent in anj's "Scrooge" thread, and Laurie's inspirational post in "Christmas simplified", I would like to celebrate Christ with my family this year by giving back to our community. I think there is a soup kitchen in town. I know there are nursing homes we can visit. What are other ways we could serve with young children involved?

Hey we do Meals on Wheels too! We deliver every other week. My kids enjoy it and they feel good about what they are doing. It is a very easy to manage schedule and doesn't take long to do so it fits well into our days. The people have become very special to us...and I think my children have become special to them. Smiles all around!

We have done that in the past, and the kids really enjoyed it. It was obvious to them how the work would help others, and it was fun; everyone packing the boxes got into a sort of competitive rhythm, trying to out-do each other in quick and efficient packing! Thanks for reminding me about that; we need to do that again!

Shelly

Some members of our homeschool group visit an area nursing home a couple of times per month. They just go, sing a couple of songs, then sit around with the residents. The kids who are old enough to read, sometimes read to the old people, some of the kids sit and color with them. They play board games sometimes. They are basically just giving of themselves, sharing their youth, etc. One of the women told me that their faces just light up when they see the children. And I think that this is especially valuable in months other than December.

I used to work in a home for children born with HIV/AIDS, and we'd always get bombarded with gifts of food, clothing, toys, etc. in December, and we'd be overwhelmed. But in May no one was thinking of us, and so...it's just nice to spread it around a bit, you know?

Make meals or treats for Ronald McDonald House

Make seasonal tray favors for Meals on Wheels

Pack baskets at the food pantry

Take a "Christmas present" to the animal shelter

Give a Salvation Army bell ringer a cup of coffee

Be overly pleasant to everyone who is working retail

Send gifts or thank you cards to service men (or their families, if you know any,) thanking them for missing the holdiays together for our sake

A couple of local women organized a big drive, and they encourage kids to make Christmas cards and write something from their hearts.

I have always been reluctant to serve at a homeless Christmas meal with DD because around here so many of the homeless people have TB, which is horrible in and of itself, but I don't want DD to be exposed to it if I can help it. People who are exposed and don't catch it have to take antibiotics for 2 years.

But last year we volunteered at a Christmas giveaway for needy families, and DD retrieved boxes that had already been packed and filed by number for each of the families, for about 4 hours. It was a great thing to be able to do. And some years she helps pack the toy bags for that same giveaway.

One year our church was one of several who built a couple of Habitat for Humanity homes. DD was too young to help, but we baked cookies for the workers and brought them over more than once. And she went with us to the dedication of the new homes, and heard the stories that the families told about how much this meant to them--she will never for get that, for sure.

If you know how to make balloon animals or love to paint nails or even read books, sing or play instruments, then call the local children's hospital and see if they allow your kids to come spend time with the kids there. These will be 'healthy' kids in for chemo or CF treatments and such that can be played with in the play room, and you can even bring books or other approved things. We loved this when we were there with my son for chemo and such.

The Ronald McDonald houses love having families or organizations cook meals for the families staying there, and you can meet some amazing families there.

These can be done all year long!

There are alot of good ideas on this thread!