Menu

Summer Classes

G5052

The V.P. over my dean is holding an "all hands" meeting tomorrow. There are over 500 professors involved. 

One of the agenda items is the viability of doing all of our summer classes online. My area includes some engineering classes that require lab time, so I'm not sure that they can do that 100%. I already teach all of my classes online, so it isn't a big deal, thankfully. 

26 minutes ago, MerryAtHope said:

I've been wondering if summer classes will also end up online--both of my kids had interest in a class at their schools. Will be interesting to see what happens. So hard for things like labs and other hands-on experience types of classes. 

I teach web development, so it's very easy for me to teach it online. They have texts, video demos to watch, homework, and develop a project website. I miss teaching in the classroom, but the local CC dropped my area some years ago. I'm not willing to drive further than that to teach in the classroom, so I remain online. 

• Like 1

My DD is registered for a field ecology class. I really am expecting it not to happen, because I don’t see any way that it could be done reasonably online. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2020 at 4:57 PM, G5052 said:

Interesting faculty meeting. They are indeed offering primarily online classes this summer with the possibility of  select on-campus lab classes. 

I wonder about how these online biology classes will be looked at by medical schools when they are evaluating prospective students because they are not actually lab classes; they are lecture classes with online videos of lab exercises.

30 minutes ago, Reefgazer said:

I wonder about how these online biology classes will be looked at by medical schools when they are evaluating prospective students because they are not actually lab classes; they are lecture classes with online videos of lab exercises.

I think they won't have much of a choice since its the entire cohort of students who are in college during the pandemic. It's not like only a few isolated schools are affected and they can simply reject those applicants - this is everybody.  Not offering classes won't do anybody good either.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

DD's college system just announced all summer classes that start before mid-June will be online. I assume a few of the current classes will be cancelled and perhaps others will be added, but I don't know.

@Reefgazer How will the med schools know if they are online? In the two schools I'm familiar with, there is no way to tell an online class vs. an in-person one from the transcript. Unless they basically discount/disregard any of those classes taken during these particular timeframe?

On 4/9/2020 at 6:05 PM, regentrude said:

I think they won't have much of a choice since its the entire cohort of students who are in college during the pandemic. It's not like only a few isolated schools are affected and they can simply reject those applicants - this is everybody.  Not offering classes won't do anybody good either.

I wonder if they will make them take it over with an actual lab, either as a pre-requisite course or before they start medical school science classes?  I don't know.  I think colleges could avoid this by providing a lab kit of some type to their students, similar to what Home Science Training Tools sells, so that the course could legitimately be called a lab class.

Edited by Reefgazer
  • Like 1