Menu

If it is optional for you to work in healthcare right now, in a vital field, would you?

Tap

If it is optional for you to work in healthcare right now, in a vital field, would you?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. If it is optional for you to work in healthcare right now, in a vital field, would you?

• Nope
    • Yep
    • Maybe, with reasons

I work in pharmacy, with two different companies.. I am temporarily off work at my full time job (no day time daycare for my daughter out of school). The other company, is in need of employees, but it is at the forefront of this virus, in retail pharmacy. Washington State.  I am getting limited pay, but we absolutely have enough money to make it through this. 

My second job... I always work one day per week at a retail location. They are so understaffed right now, I could work extra hours if I want to when my husband is home to watch my daughter. 

I am torn. On one hand, I want to help out!  There is a crisis going on, and people need help!  Our pharmacy is so, so busy with all this going on, and everyone is stressed by the extra work load, phone calls, questions etc. I am the type of person naturally to volunteer, and if this wasn't contagious, I would be there without question.

On the other hand, every hour I am out there, I am more likely to get it. I am late 40s, have a minor autoimmune issue and mild asthma. So, I have a bit higher risk, but nothing too crazy. I really, really think I am going to get it no matter what I do. 

Edited by Tap

Will your pharmacy let you mask up—respirator, not surgical...Or can you be in a separate room shielded from customers? 

My answer depends on that. 

Currently I am very very alarmed that they are not shifting business practices to better protect workers and better protect the functionality of the system. Everybody needs glass protection walls, gloves, masks, etc. They could also divide some spaces so that some workers are in no direct contact positions.

• Like 2

I am not in health care at the forefront of ill patients, however, we do still work and expect to be working throughout this crisis in behavioral health. Most client contact is conducted over the phone right now. We saw clients face to face and did groups even up to Tuesday, March 17th.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Am I confusing you with someone else, or do you have an older daughter with significant medical needs?  Will you be seeing her during this time?

You are right, it is me. But she moved to another state, so she won't be here anytime soon. 

4 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Will your pharmacy let you mask up—respirator, not surgical...Or can you be in a separate room shielded from customers? 

My answer depends on that. 

Currently I am very very alarmed that they are not shifting business practices to better protect workers and better protect the functionality of the system. Everybody needs glass protection walls, gloves, masks, etc. They could also divide some spaces so that some workers are in no direct contact positions.

I know I would struggle with a mask. I used to wear a simple surgical mask to take care of dd, and that alone was hard to do for more than 30 min. At this point in the crisis, I think if I am going to wear a mask, I should go home.  If I am in a last man standing situation, I would absolutely wear a mask.

It would be nice if we had more protection from the virus via the air, but unfortunately it would take extensive work to make us safe. We are an open format store and there are patients at all ends of the pharmacy. If one person is helping at the front counter with patients and then coming back to count pills or even put away meds, there is no way for them to not contaminate everything and everyone. 

4 hours ago, Katy said:

Not yet.  Pharmacy is one of the most exposed and least protected positions.  You might feel the need more later, but for now stay home and stay safe.

LOL I almost feel the opposite. Work now to keep everyone from getting so fatigued, that they get sick, and I am the last one left. LOL

19 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

I am not in health care at the forefront of ill patients, however, we do still work and expect to be working throughout this crisis in behavioral health. Most client contact is conducted over the phone right now. We saw clients face to face and did groups even up to Tuesday, March 17th.

Last year, they removed our one work station that was in a protected area at a desk. We liked that terminal and there was no reason to remove it. Even out IT guy said they were just moving it to storage. Now, we really wish there was one still there because at least one person could be there during the day. But alas....silly companies. My guess, is that it was probably due to cost of software licences.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liz CA said:

With asthma, your would be at a higher risk for complications. Do you think for some reason you will contract it no matter if you stay home or not?

Yes, I think it will unlikely that we can avoid it. 

My son works handing documents 15 hours a week (tutoring center).  They are allowing a day in between processing papers, but kids aren't known to be the cleanest things. Also the papers are within the worst area, in relation to the body, for particulate contamination. Coughs, sneezes etc will fall directly on the pages.

My youngest daughter spends time at her bio-dads house. They are not very clean people on a daily basis, let alone when they would need to do extra work. They live in a small apartment so there isn't anywhere to be to distance themselves. She is isolated a bit in our home, but lays on the floor constantly and tends to bite her nails.

My husband works in stores, doctor offices and and is around people and  potentially infected items all day. He can wash his hands and such, but honestly I would need to Lysol bomb him to get him clean.

I work in healthcare.  Nuff said

We are all around completely different things every day.  I think it is inevitable. There is no way for us to shelter in place and work from home.

Edited by Tap

10 hours ago, Tap said:

I work in pharmacy, with two different companies.. I am temporarily off work at my full time job (no day time daycare for my daughter out of school). The other company, is in need of employees, but it is at the forefront of this virus, in retail pharmacy. Washington State.  I am getting limited pay, but we absolutely have enough money to make it through this. 

My second job... I always work one day per week at a retail location. They are so understaffed right now, I could work extra hours if I want to when my husband is home to watch my daughter. 

I am torn. On one hand, I want to help out!  There is a crisis going on, and people need help!  Our pharmacy is so, so busy with all this going on, and everyone is stressed by the extra work load, phone calls, questions etc. I am the type of person naturally to volunteer, and if this wasn't contagious, I would be there without question.

On the other hand, every hour I am out there, I am more likely to get it. I am late 40s, have a minor autoimmune issue and mild asthma. So, I have a bit higher risk, but nothing too crazy. I really, really think I am going to get it no matter what I do. 

I posted maybe with reasons.  I’d be freaked as heck but feel compelled if it was me but I think with your kids etc plus know risks it might be best not?

I'm not in healthcare, but 3 of my siblings are in jobs related to health care, and they are working full-time or overtime.  A nurse, a tech at a cancer center, and an engineer at a factory that manufactures for the healthcare industry.

We might be asked to open our new hotel for patients that are not COVID in order to make room at the hospitals for COVID patients, if that becomes necessary.  We have already agreed to do this if asked.