Menu

Face mask patterns

Murphy101

I need free download and super simple very clear pattern instructions. Think how to  for newbie idiot trying to sew kind of patterns. Because that what I am. My girls aren’t, but they are very new to sewing still. 

I thought I saved some suggestions made previous but I can’t find them!

Thanks!

I've been making simple rectangles approximately 10" by 4". You can double up the fabric if you like. I've read that some people are doing 9" by 3.5" instead. The straps are perhaps half an inch wide by 12 inches long, one on each corner, positioned parallel to the longer seam of the mask. You tie two at the bottom and two at the crown of your head - if you try to tie the upper ones in the back they eventually slip down.

If you use sheet fabric you have to be careful to hem the straps or they look like garbage. If you're using t-shirt fabric, stretch the straps beforehand as they get stretchy and have to be adjusted otherwise, but bonus, you don't have to hem them because they curl. (Edit: T-shirt fabric and pillowcase fabric have been cited as having the best combination of effectiveness + breathability, plus you probably have spares of both in your home already. Please do not try to use PUL or iron-on transfers, as I've seen suggested elsewhere, because those are plastic backed and obviously won't work. Think about it!)

These are for adults.

When you put them on, be sure to tie the bottom straps first, then pull the mask over your nose and tie the top. Wash your hands before putting the mask on, and again before and after taking the mask off. Do not pull the mask casually down when you're away from people, or to talk to friends, or to scratch your nose - keep it on until you take it all the way off. Do your best to handle the masks only by the straps. I don't advise using them for an extended period of time if you can at all help it - they're just not as protective as proper medical masks.

You MUST wash them after every use. If you pop them in the dryer after washing, I advise sticking them in a knotted pillowcase or reusable bag or lingerie bag so the straps don't tangle.

Edit: Relatedly, if you're wearing gloves, you have to wash your hands just the same as if you weren't wearing them. And you ought to wash your hands immediately after removing the gloves as well, just in case you contaminated yourself in the process.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 2

Does anyone know of folks that need them right now? I have 8 Adult/mediums and 2 S/child size right now, finished, and will crank out another 10 Adult large tomorrow. Our area isn’t especially hard hit right now. I used this pattern:  https://freesewing.org/fu-facemask-freesewing.org.a4.pdf but modified it with gathered sides for a tighter fit. I used grosgrain ribbon rather than make bias tape. To save steps, once the fronts and backs are sewn together, I sewed Right sides together along the edges leaving space to turn it inside out. A quick top stitch, fold over for the ribbon casing, and voila.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

Yes.  My goddaughter will get them to doulas who are helping moms through childbirth.  One of our local hospitals has closed the maternity ward because they need the beds for CV sufferers.  :0(

If you PM me the address, I can mail them this week.

2 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

Okay...so humor me here as I am not someone who sews things ever.

Aren't face masks supposed to be fitted to individuals in order to be effective?

some patterns allow for a piece of metal, think pipe cleaner or twist tie, to be inserted in a pocket around the bridge of the nose. This will allow a tighter fit. The CDC says two layers of Tightly woven cotton can filter up to 50%. I used one layer of cotton poplin and one layer of cotton flannel. The ones I made today don’t have metal in them but I have another version that will.

• Thanks 1