Menu

Colonoscopy prep starts tomorrow -- YEAH ME LOL

mlktwins

While it will take my mind off other worries, I am NOT looking forward to the prep!  I just read a couple of threads (one from August 2019 and one from 2016) and I am dreading it -- LOL.  I have had one before - 12 years ago - so I know what to expect.  I can deal with all of it except drinking that nasty $%&* !!!!!!  I don't have my prep yet, but it is the same doctor that DH had in September, and it is SUPREP.  Someone called it pure evil in one of the threads -- LOL.

I am eating light today and know to go to clear liquids tomorrow.  I just do not want to drink "that" stuff!!!  It is why I've put this off for 2 years!!!!

I will do it though!  Unless something has changed, I usually wake up really refreshed after these types of procedures.  Hope it is the same on Thursday.  Last time I had this procedure I ate Chick-Fil-A on the way home :-).

Lord help me to keep that nasty stuff down!!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

And...I've told DH I'm not cooking anyone anything tomorrow -- LOL.  DH works from home so he can deal with it!

If anyone wants to share stories to make me laugh tomorrow evening, feel free :-)!!!

What prep did they prescribe you?  I just had it done in February.  To me the stuff you have to drink, although quite gross is over quickly.  The worst to me was the day of no food.  I was so hungry I couldn’t think straight.  

3 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

What prep did they prescribe you?  I just had it done in February.  To me the stuff you have to drink, although quite gross is over quickly.  The worst to me was the day of no food.  I was so hungry I couldn’t think straight.  

It is going to be SUPREP.  Is that what you had? 

No food tomorrow is not going to be good for me either, but I would take that over the nasty prep.  My DH did it in September and I watched him drink it.  Not much phases him, but he didn't like it.  He did say it is not as bad as when we had to bring home those big gallon containers to drink.

41 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

It is going to be SUPREP.  Is that what you had? 

No food tomorrow is not going to be good for me either, but I would take that over the nasty prep.  My DH did it in September and I watched him drink it.  Not much phases him, but he didn't like it.  He did say it is not as bad as when we had to bring home those big gallon containers to drink.

No mine was Clean Pic.  

It is gross but the containers are small. I just held my breath and afterwards drank water.  

• Like 1

Definitely read that link above!  Maybe after your prep?  Tomorrow night?

The prep is the worst part.  I’ve had five colonoscopies, and the newer solutions are much easier to get down.  Whew.  My first one, I was in college and my roomie was a Physics PhD candidate.  He walked around the house with the gallon jug saying, “you know this is basically antifreeze, right?” ... soooooo not helpful.

One year I had one that needed to be scheduled ASAP.  Ended up on my birthday.... I was in the twilight sleep when they realized it was my bday, and they sang happy birthday, the doc, nurse and whoever else. That was funny and still makes me laugh.

DS just did one a few weeks ago.  He used the same prep I did, and seemed to think it tasted fine.  We mixed with Gatorade.  

Will be thinking of you!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I am going to wait to watch after my prep is done -- LOL.  Kind of like a reward -- LOL.  I start my last prep at 9 pm and will end at 10 pm.

• Like 1

It’s so strange how different the preps are.

My most recent was “the drink” every 15 mins from 3 pm to 6 pm.  Then at 2:15 am (😱) - get up and chug a 10 oz bottle of magnesium citrate (like in the link).  Holy cow!  That was a new one for me.  I have POTS so getting in and out of bed leads to passing out in the night.  Yep.  I passed out in the bathroom, pants down!  Mortifying!  DH helped me, and finally I slept the rest of the night on a sleeping bag on the bathroom floor so I could get to the toilet. We laugh about it now, but I told my doc that when I do this again, I will *not* be doing the middle of the night chug. Nope.

It’ll be ok.  The dread is probably making it all worse, and I bet it’s piece of cake compared to what you are expecting.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

It’s so strange how different the preps are.

My most recent was “the drink” every 15 mins from 3 pm to 6 pm.  Then at 2:15 am (😱) - get up and chug a 10 oz bottle of magnesium citrate (like in the link).  Holy cow!  That was a new one for me.  I have POTS so getting in and out of bed leads to passing out in the night.  Yep.  I passed out in the bathroom, pants down!  Mortifying!  DH helped me, and finally I slept the rest of the night on a sleeping bag on the bathroom floor so I could get to the toilet. We laugh about it now, but I told my doc that when I do this again, I will *not* be doing the middle of the night chug. Nope.

It’ll be ok.  The dread is probably making it all worse, and I bet it’s piece of cake compared to what you are expecting.

Oh my!!!  I think you are making my prep instructions sound pretty good 😲! Bless your heart!!!

When I read the instructions to DH, he said, "Oh yeah!  That was not fun!"  Both of us didn't remember the every 15 minutes thing.  But his prep was pretty much done before bed and he did mostly sleep through the night except for issues with all the water!

I am just being a baby -- LOL.  I gagged the big gallon stuff down the last time.  I also had a migraine the last time I had one and I remember waking up from my "nap" and it was totally gone.  That was a nice plus :-)!

• Like 2

I've done 5 preps and they all involved the every 15 minutes drink in the evening and then a dose of something in the middle of the night/early early morning.  I drink a lot anyway so it wasn't too hard at first (plus I'd make sure ahead of time that I was thirsty), but it was hard getting down those last few drinks.  Blech.  And the magnesium citrate in the middle of the night...I could never get that down because I found it so gross.  

Good luck!  Glad you'll be done with it by 10pm.

• Like 1