Menu

New York City: is it worth staying within a mile of Times Square? other good options?

katilac

My sister is taking my dd to NYC for graduation in May; my mom and I are tagging along, and we MIGHT have a 5th person 😀

My sister has been twice and stayed very close to Times Square at the New York Marriott Marquis. For this trip she is looking at Courtyard ny manhattan mid town east; $1926 for 4 nights based on 5 people. So, we are willing to pay that amount as needed, but certainly are not averse to saving some money, lol. We want cleanliness, safety, and a certain amount of convenience. We don't have a lot of time so we wouldn't want long train rides everyday, for example. A lot of walking is just fine, plus Uber, etc. We just don't know where to look, so particular hotels and even neighborhood recommendations would be great. I'd really like to lower that just a bit to have more spending money. We'd consider vacation rental by owner if we knew it was a good/convenient neighborhood and they had good ratings. 

We'll probably do: Statue of Liberty, cake boss bakery, a Broadway show, the big public library, and then we're pretty open to varied and cool stuff. 

Bestow your wisdom upon me! 

• Like 1

When I've gone, I have found it nice to stay in Manhattan pretty centrally, though right next to Times Square is not a must. I've stayed in Midtown and in the Village. Since they changed the laws about Airbnb's in NYC, it's a much bigger pain to find a spot that way though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, WendyAndMilo said:

When I was there a couple years ago, I found that Midtown was the perfect location.  

Cool, the 4-night reservation for $1926 is in Midtown, and it's for the 5 people (which I just found out we will definitely have). 

9 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Just suggesting a place to visit-  The Morgan Library and Museum.   You may want to have his library in your home.  

That looks amazing! Definitely adding to the list. 

4 minutes ago, Farrar said:

When I've gone, I have found it nice to stay in Manhattan pretty centrally, though right next to Times Square is not a must. I've stayed in Midtown and in the Village. Since they changed the laws about Airbnb's in NYC, it's a much bigger pain to find a spot that way though.

Ugh, good information, thanks. 

Is Greenwich Village the Village? 

I'm wondering if that's where we stayed? Can't remember, but we were walking distance to Times Square and the bus station. Maybe it was a Hampton Inn. I do remember that it included free breakfast buffet--it turned out to be a really good deal. But the room was the size of a postage stamp. It really didn't sleep 5 (plus a wheelchair). But maybe you have 2 rooms for that price.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, katilac said:

Ugh, good information, thanks. 

Is Greenwich Village the Village? 

Yes. Though I've also stayed in the East Village, which, yeah, isn't as nice. And in Chelsea, near the High Line.

Overall, I've not found a lot of places in Manhattan that I wouldn't stay though. I mean, yes, there are sketchier areas and nicer ones... but mostly the place you're staying and how decent it is and how close to the subway lines you want matters more than the specific neighborhood, at least, within Manhattan. True New Yorkers should really correct me if I'm wrong though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My dd and I went last summer and stayed at an AirBnB on West 51st st. I'm not sure what part of town that is considered but we were central to everything and mostly walked everywhere. Times Square was only a few blocks away. It cost us $1600 but that was for 10 days. If I remember correctly is was significantly cheaper than any hotel.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Farrar said:

Yes. Though I've also stayed in the East Village, which, yeah, isn't as nice. And in Chelsea, near the High Line.

Overall, I've not found a lot of places in Manhattan that I wouldn't stay though. I mean, yes, there are sketchier areas and nicer ones... but mostly the place you're staying and how decent it is and how close to the subway lines you want matters more than the specific neighborhood, at least, within Manhattan. True New Yorkers should really correct me if I'm wrong though.

Yes, being close to a subway line helps. I lived in NYC for two years (grad school). 

3 hours ago, 4kidlets4me said:

My dd and I went last summer and stayed at an AirBnB on West 51st st. I'm not sure what part of town that is considered but we were central to everything and mostly walked everywhere. Times Square was only a few blocks away. It cost us $1600 but that was for 10 days. If I remember correctly is was significantly cheaper than any hotel.

You were lucky to get one. The subways and everywhere have ads saying how AirBnB is now illegal there. 

Here's a link that helps with regards to areas to stay. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Negin said:

You were lucky to get one. The subways and everywhere have ads saying how AirBnB is now illegal there. 

It’s not illegal if you stay in someone’s home who live on the premises as well, so intrepid travelers can still get a room in someone’s home. It has really shifted things though and means if you try to book an “entire apartment” Airbnb, you’re taking a big risk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

It’s not illegal if you stay in someone’s home who live on the premises as well, so intrepid travelers can still get a room in someone’s home. It has really shifted things though and means if you try to book an “entire apartment” Airbnb, you’re taking a big risk.

We'll be 5 intrepid travelers, I don't think anyone is going to want all of us in their home!

• Like 2

East side in the 50s and 60s is nice - walking distance to GCT and a quiet, safe, walkable neighborhood with reasonably -priced (for Manhatten) hotels.  We stay at the San Carlos Hotel when we go to NYC.  I think the Marriott in Times Square is nice for holidays, but otherwise, a cheaper hotel is more desirable imo.  Whatever you do, be sure and hop the train to Little Italy for dinner!

Edited by Reefgazer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Reefgazer said:

East side in the 50s and 60s is nice - walking distance to GCT and a quiet, safe, walkable neighborhood with reasonably -priced (for Manhatten) hotels.  We stay at the San Carlos Hotel when we go to NYC.  I think the Marriott in Times Square is nice for holidays, but otherwise, a cheaper hotel is more desirable imo.  Whatever you do, be sure and hop the train to Little Italy for dinner!

Thank you for sharing this. The San Carlos looks good and I may be changing our booking. We are booked to stay in the Times Square area as we did last year. The East Side is not too far at all. Oh, and I love Little Italy!

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 6:11 PM, katilac said:

My sister is taking my dd to NYC for graduation in May; my mom and I are tagging along, and we MIGHT have a 5th person 😀

You are luckier than us since you're going in May. We're headed in June and prices seem to be higher then. I looked at the San Carlos that Reefgazer recommended, but it's too pricey for us at that time. We're also 5 people (3 rooms). Ha ha! When is NY not pricey? Anyway, I'm still searching, but we're now booked at the Roger Smith Hotel. I booked through booking.com, but Imay contact the hotel directly and see if their rate is a better one. Sometimes that works. 

• Like 1

My two girls and I spent just a few days in NYC a couple years ago. We decided to go last minute and stayed at The Belvedere Hotel. It was close to Broadway and Times Square. I don’t know enough about NY to know what is central and where you want to stay, but everyone seemed to walk everywhere and the subway was just right there. We were total tourists and even did the double decker bus!

I felt safe walking back late after a show. Our room was small, but the price was good, and we were barely in our room. We loved seeing the city and I only wish we had more time. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Negin said:

You are luckier than us since you're going in May. We're headed in June and prices seem to be higher then. I looked at the San Carlos that Reefgazer recommended, but it's too pricey for us at that time. We're also 5 people (3 rooms). Ha ha! When is NY not pricey? Anyway, I'm still searching, but we're now booked at the Roger Smith Hotel. I booked through booking.com, but Imay contact the hotel directly and see if their rate is a better one. Sometimes that works. 

3 rooms, oh man! We're sharing one room (meant for 5), which will be fine spacewise but a challenge to coordinate the bathroom. We're all females, related, and have traveled together before, so we'll make it work. 

Currently, we have booked Courtyard NY Manhattan mid town east; $1926 for 4 nights. I'm going to keep checking the ones listed here, though! 

Everybody, tell me what we should do or where we should eat in Little Italy, 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, katilac said:

3 rooms, oh man! We're sharing one room (meant for 5), which will be fine spacewise but a challenge to coordinate the bathroom. We're all females, related, and have traveled together before, so we'll make it work. 

Currently, we have booked Courtyard NY Manhattan mid town east; $1926 for 4 nights. I'm going to keep checking the ones listed here, though! 

Everybody, tell me what we should do or where we should eat in Little Italy, 

When I lived in NYC, every chance I got, I'd go here with my friends. On some nights, if I recall, it was open until 1 AM. Best Italian pastries ever! Every time that I've been back in NY since, we try to make at least one trip here. It's on 1st and 11th. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Penguin said:

Not Little Italy, but we recently had a great meal at Eataly near the Flatiron building. It is an Italian marketplace with a wide range of restaurants, including some that do not require reservations.

I went there on my last trip too. Pretty cool.

FWIW, I always stay in NJ and train in. Newark would not be a very long train ride, though I am usually out in Princeton.