Menu

Statistics

My daughter is currently in Algebra 2 and has never been a fan of math. Currently, she isn't really sure about going to college at all. We need a 4th math class and I think Statistics may be the more useful route rather thn Pre-Calc but most Statistics classes are AP Statistics which would be overkill for a math hater with average to low average skills. 

Currently, I'm looking at Stats in Your World by Pearson but I'm not seeing a large number of options. Any other reccommendations?

• Like 2

GCSE Statistics-level study might be a viable option. It's the approximate equivalent of 10th-grade studies (though exact comparisons internationally are always a bit tricky), which would make it a high-school level study. In the UK, it's most often taken by 15/16-year-olds who would benefit from another year of maturity before attempting university-entrance-level qualifications. The required level of algebra is low, and no geometry/trignometry/anything else is required - most of the pre-requisite maths is pre-algebra. For someone who, by the sound of it, isn't used to maths going entirely smoothly, having a maths that is not reliant on concepts that are still crystallising would perhaps he helpful.

In theory you could look for an exam centre and sit the exam, but statistics comes up so much in everyday life that simply going through the topics would be worthwhile - and less stressful for your daughter. The standard "9-1" book from Edexcel is a sound starting point insofar as it covers everything expected (and is about 3/4 of the length of Stats In Your World), but adding the two revision books from CGP.(there's a revision book and an Exam Practise Workbook) would also be a good idea. Simply because this is a 12th grade plan does not mean the entire reading has to be dry... If you don't plan to do the exam, feel free to skip the "Higher" parts unless your daughter particularly wants to do any or they seem especially important to you. Also, if you are not doing the exam, feel free to pick up whichever GCSE Statistics books look cheapest and most interesting - some of the ones for A*-G (the old syllabus) are cheap and will cover almost the same material.

Finally, because the material is designed to take a UK school student from September to April, you may find that you have some "spare" time in your maths schedule. If that happens, I would consider using it to informally cover aspects of personal finance (if you haven't already done so) and review topics covered earlier in high school. The title of the year's course would still be "Statistics" since that's the main topic of the year.

Edited by ieta_cassiopeia
Clarification
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you search Amazon for "practical statistics" or "statistics for ________" you get a lot of options.  There are different areas of statistics that are covered in the last one depending on the type of career, and the non-technical careers have less math in their statistics.  "Statistics for Psychology" will be quite different than "Statistics for Business." Here is one that is a bit broader:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0131562789/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You could also try statistics for dummies.

You could also do a smaller unit of statistics and more practical math focused on finance, investments, budgeting, etc.  The typical name for this type of math is "math models" or something like "topics in math," each state has its own name for this type of class.

• Like 2

My daughter did Life of Fred Statistics her last year of high school.  When she took the college placement test, she tested into the highest math possible.  They told her that even if she answered more questions right, she couldn't test into a higher class.  She only has to take one math class for her Bachelor's degree - ironically....Statistics.  Lol.  She's taking it this semester to get it over with.

But a warning on LOF Statistics - we weren't able to completely finish it.  It was HARD.  

Edited to add: And I before I bought it, I couldn't find reviews on it or anyone IRL who ever used it.  I couldn't find any homeschool statistics curriculum besides LOF.

Edited by Evanthe
  • Like 3

I have been thinking about doing Statistics for my non math son since he needs 4 years for the state schools here....

LOF - I did see that for high school statistics you don't have to do the whole book.  Completing the first five chapters would do.  https://www.lifeoffred.uniquemath.com/lof-statistics.php#.XhP-DxtOldg    So then the question is - were the first 5 chapters super hard as well?? 

Other things I have found: 

https://learn.saylor.org/course/view.php?id=28

https://www.thattutorguy.com/statistics

and crash course had statistics.

• Like 1

First my kids didn’t do LoF Statistics but we own it and they have read it for fun.  Math majors....  Took their statistics other places including doing the Dummies books for an intro and I would recommend combing working through the Dummies books with as much LoF as works for you.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, shelleysboys said:

LOF - I did see that for high school statistics you don't have to do the whole book.  Completing the first five chapters would do.  https://www.lifeoffred.uniquemath.com/lof-statistics.php#.XhP-DxtOldg    So then the question is - were the first 5 chapters super hard as well?? 

Heck, chapter TWO was hard.  lol.  She and I worked on the book together.  It sounds silly, but we read the book together at the table and worked the problems.  I was there to "help" her, but usually she understood things a little quicker and had to explain everything to me.  

• Like 2

My oldest started and worked 2/3rd-3/4th way through Life of Fred Statistics before we gave it up. The book is not written in a clear and straightforward manner at all. It was not obvious what was important and what was extraneous. His answers did not reflect enough info to determine how he arrived at them - so the answers, unless you got the problem right, were of little help. We backed and up and re-started a regular Stats textbook - it went SO much smoother. 

For my youngest, I used the same one some colleges used for their first Stats course.  It had a student solutions manual which was helpful as well. We ended up doing more than a college statistics course because my dd enjoyed Stats (we can find syllabuses online here, so we can tell exactly what the college courses typically cover - we were using the same book.) This daughter did fine (with no outside help), and breezed through her first semester Honors Stats course (which covered 1.5 times the regular Stats course). 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471755303/

• Like 2

I appreciate all the responses. This gives me a lot more to research. We will probably be doing Alg. 2 until Christmas at least but the more I look, the more I see that there are many options where she won't need to be finished and we can just keep plugging away at Alg. 2 while simultanously doing statistics. 

• Like 3