Menu

Book a Week 2019 - BW51: Happy Birthday Arthur C Clarke

Robin M

Happy Sunday and welcome to week fifty-one in our 52 Books rambling roads reading adventure. Greetings to all our readers, welcome to all joining in for the first time and everyone following our progress. Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as the central spot to share your book reviews.

December 16th is the anniversary of the birthday of Arthur C. Clarke who passed away at the age of 90 on March 19, 2008. 

Arthur C. Clarke wrote numerous books, but the one that always comes to my mind first is 2001: A Space Odyssey. He also co-created the film with Stanley Kubrick.  He went on to write more in the series with  2010: Odyssey Two2061: Odyssey Three and 3001: The Final Odyssey 

Surprisingly, Clarke never received any awards for his novel 2001,  but the movie received a Hugo Award in 1969 for Best Dramatic Presentation in a theatrical version. Clarke did receive the Hugo award for Foundations of Paradise in 1980 and Rendezvous with Rama in 1974. He was nominated for a Hugo for 2010: A Space Odyssey in 1982 and A Fall of Moondust in 1963. 

Clarke loved science and built his very first telescope at the age of 13. In 1945 he wrote a technical paper "Extra Terrestrial Relays" in which he wrote the principles for satellite communications which led to the global satellites systems we use today. In 1949 he became Chairman of the British Interplanetary Society. 

According to the Clarke Foundation:

"Clarke's work, which led to the global satellite systems in use today, brought him numerous honors including the 1982 Marconi International Fellowship, a gold medal of the Franklin Institute, the Vikram Sarabhai Professorship of the Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad, the Lindbergh Award and a Fellowship of King's College, London. Today, the geostationary orbit at 36,000 kilometers above the equator is named The Clarke Orbit by the International Astronomical Union."

Clarke wrote a number of non fiction books including Interplanetary Flight (1950) about rockets, orbital mechanics and space,  Exploration of Space (1951) about the possibilities of space exploration, Exploration of the Moon (1954) and the possibilities of future space travel,  and Young travelers in Space (1954), the history of rocket development and satellite launches. He also spent years exploring the great barrier reef and wrote several books about underwater exploration including The Coast of Coral (1956) about his adventures and mishaps which exploring the great barrier reef, Boy Beneath the Sea (1958), and The Challenge of the Sea (1960) about deep sea exploration and the future. 

Arthur Clarke made many predictions over the years and 
seven have come true

He also came up with the "Three Laws" of prediction:

·         When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
·         The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
·         Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

What do you think of his Three Laws?

Link to week 50

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Finished ebook Unlit by Keri Arthur in her Kingdom of Earth and Air series.   I enjoy all of Arthur's books. Always imaginative. 

"Though classified as having no magic, Neve March can hear the whispers of the wind and sometimes even control her. But it’s a secret she must hold close if she wishes to continue as Nightwatch—the soldiers who guard Winterborne against those who roam the wastelands and feast on human flesh.  When Neve investigates a faint SOS signal, she not only unearths a woman close to death, but a plot involving an ancient enemy long thought dead. In an effort to expose those behind the plot, Neve goes undercover amongst Winterborne’s elite—a dangerous step that could expose her secret and rip away all that she holds dear. The trail of treachery leads her from Winterborne’s golden halls to the heart of the enemy’s hive, and it will shake her belief of not only who she is, but also what she is."

Still plowing away with Knife of Dreams and I just might finish it before the end of the year. 

Worked on plans for 2020 a bit and come up with several categories for the 10 x 10 which I might play around with a bit and have 2 4 x 5 categories.  In my head I see it as 4 x 5  +  4 x 5 but probably would confuse my logical engineer husband.   😁 or have two main categories that are 10 x 2 and the rest 4 x 5.  Anyway what I have come up with so far is.

All about Eve  
Answer me this - writing craft and other non fiction
Clocks and Corsets (Steampunk)
Dragons and other fantastical Creatures
Epic Fantasy
Step into the Past (Historical Fiction)
Ladies of Fiction
Love and Mystery 
Mood
Revisit Old Friends

• Like 6

@mumto2  I have spent a lot of time today with lists........my categories are sort of planned for the 10 x10 which at this point I will stick with.  Hopefully think of better names for the categories.😉 I am going to post my list in case someone finds it helpful.  Please excuse typos etc.....cutting and pasting notes.  This is so just planning.....in most cases if  I list a title I was able to source the book from a library.

Hitchcock Movies

The thirty nine steps by John Buchan

Strangers on a Train by Patricia Highsmith

The Lodger by Marie Belloc Lowndes

The secret agent by Joseph Conrad (s)

Ashenden by w. Somerset Maugham (n)

Trouble with Harry by jack trevor story

The birds by Daphne du Maurer

Psycho by Robert Bloch

Vertigo bypierre Boileau 

Before the Facts by Frances Isles

Time Travel

An Ocean of Minutes by Thea Lim

The River of No Return by Bee Ridgeway

What the Wind Knows byAmy Harmon

Timekeeper by Tara Sim

Time After Time by Lisa Grunwald

Version Control by Dexter Palmer

The Future of Another Time by Annalee Newitz

Here and Now and Then by Mike Chen

This is How You Lose the Time War by Amal El-Mohtar

All Our Wrong Today’s by Elan Mattel

The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes

Agatha Christie........my next 10

Dragons

The Hobbit.......LoR

Dragon Bound by Thea Harrison

Dragon Bones by Patricia Briggs

Eragan Series

His Magisty’s Dragon by Naomi Novik

Tea with a Black Dragon by RA MacAvoy

Suldruns Garden by Jack Vance 

The Briar King by Greg Keyes

Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan

Wizard’s First Rule by Terry Goodkind

Arrows of the Queen by Mercedes Lacky

Daggerspell by Katherine Kerr

Wizards of Earthsea by Ursula K. LeGuin

Dragons Autumn Twilight by Wes Hickman

British Historical

Brother Cadefel

Abbess of Meaux by Cassandra Clarke

Ariana Franklin

Poison Bed

Tudor Vendetta

The Queens Head

Patricia Wentworth.............next 10 in order

New to me Cozies......or I read the first ones decades ago

Series Reads and rereads and finishes

Truthseeker by CE Murphy 

Magic to the Bone by Devon monk 

Half resurrection blues by Daniel Jose older 

A local habitation...October daye......Seanan McGuire 

Ghost of a Chance by Simon green

Unshapely things by Mark del Franco

Reread negotiator series ce Murphy....heat of stone

Finish Benedict Jacks series

Reread Libriomancer by Jim Hines

Finish Faith Hunter reread

Finish Kate Daniels Magic seres

Series from Brit Tripping that need to be finished (or least be continued)

Frances Brody

Catherine Lloyd

Dorothy Sayers 

Fiona Buckley 

Carola Dunn

Deborah Crombie

Jacqueline Winspear

Charles Finch

Rennie Airth

Robin Paige

Susan Wittig Albert

Elly Griffiths......magician series 

Worldwide Detective

The Golden Scales by Parker Bilal.....Cairo

The Tomb of Zeus by Barbara Cleverly........Crete

Death of an Englishman by magdalen nabb.....Italy 

Andean Express by Juan de recacoechea.....Chile

Slow Horses by mick Herron .....London

The widows of malabar hill by sujata massy.......India 

Shadow of the rock by Thomas mogford.......Gibraltar 

Bruno chief of police by Martin walker ...France 

The Turkish gambit by Boris akunin......Russia

Black run by Antonio manzini....Italian mountains

Kaleidoscope by j. Robert janes ......France 

Wow--Impressive list and I'll have to spend some time looking up some of the books and authors.  You have so many great authors on your list including CE Murphy, Devon Monk, and Mercedes Lackey.  Looks like you'll have lots of reading fun in 2020.  

• Like 5

Happy Sunday, Robin! I've been debating doing a Reading Bingo. I did one several years ago. 

I read Thank You for Being a Friend: Life According to The Golden Girls - 4 Stars - I started watching “The Golden Girls” when I was in college over thirty years ago, back in the late 1980s. I’d never seen an episode before that, since college was when I first started living in the U.S. I immediately became a Golden Girls fan and Saturday nights were my favorite!

Soon after that, I realized that the re-runs were playing every day as well. These were aired during the day, and for all my college years, whenever I had the option of choosing the time slot for a specific class, I would time it so that I could watch the reruns. I remember often rushing home from class in order to make it back to my dorm on time. My former boss and I would often laugh about each episode. Honestly, it was one of my favorite shows ever.

Several years later, my husband and I would watch it. Our now adult daughter was a toddler, and she would come running with utter joy towards the TV every time the theme song started playing. It’s one of my favorite memories of her.

This small coffee-table type book is fun and nostalgic. The illustrations are colorful and so pretty. It would make a perfect gift for any Golden Girls fan. It’s full of fun little facts, quizzes, recipes, and even a few beauty tips. Now all I want to do is to start binge-watching the series again!

The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog - 5 Stars - I love Dave Barry and this book didn’t disappoint. I was laughing for most of it and crying happy tears for the rest. This is a short and quick read and an absolute delight to read at this time of year.

9781925418569.jpg   9780425276716.jpg

Some pictures from our time in Cordoba. Spain. 

3.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

So I have been busy planning on next year when I still have 9 none overlapping books to read to finish all my challenges for this year.....planning is so much more fun!

@Robin M may I ask what the category All about Eve will contain.....my mind flashed to a few different ideas which means it’s probably a great one!

Currently reading Smilla’s Sense of Snow to fulfill “my Greenland requirement” for Nordic Noir.  It’s different,  I have spent way too much time reading about people’s reactions to this book which is perhaps the first Nordic Noir that gained international popularity.  From what I can see people love it or hate it which makes it interesting.....so far I like not love it.  There are a couple of suspected things by me that might have me pretty upset during the second half of the book......which is physically set in Denmark so far, btw.  Greenland is flash backs and research.  I have two more on audio book that I need to listen to in order to finish the category without overlap.  We shall see if I manage to.

I have two Scotland books almost complete.  Denise Mina’s Still Midnight which is a fairly good police procedural set in Glasgow and a cozy titled Hooked on Ewe set in the highlands.  The Cozy is just incredibly unbelievable and so inaccurate.........I thought I would like it for the knitting background but as I read I doubt that some of the wool dying info is even vaguely accurate much less the rest of the book.  The main character, an American romance author on a tourist visitor is appointed to a citizen police position because she has a good head on her shoulders.......I won’t go on.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 5

Hi!  It's been ages since I updated!  I keep meaning to, but I often read on my phone where it's hard to type a longer post, and then I think I should update before responding to other stuff.  But I figured I should manage a check in before the end of the year!! Since I don't remember where I left off, I'll just say that in spite of being AWOL, I have been keeping up with my challenges.  I think I've finished both A-Z author and title, and I'm also on my last book for my 10x10, which is also counting as my last book for Bingo - and I've also finished my GR number goal I set at the beginning of the year, but not by much, so I think that was a good target.  I'll give a detailed list the last week of the year when I'm all done!

Currently reading El poeta niño/The Child Poet by Homero Aridjis (that's the last book that's double-counting), The Old Drift by Namwali Serpell, Disgrace by Coetzee, and listening to The TIger's Wife by Téa Obreht.

• Like 5

Responding to other stuff:

@Negin Just wanted to say that even if I've only been scrolling by on my phone, I've really been enjoying your Sevilla pics!  I lived for half a year there in college, and it was sooo beautiful!  Having wonderful flashbacks seeing your pics! 😊

11 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

Currently reading Smilla’s Sense of Snow to fulfill “my Norway requirement” for Nordic Noir.  It’s different,  I have spent way too much time reading about people’s reactions to this book which is perhaps the first Nordic Noir that gained international popularity.  From what I can see people love it or hate it which makes it interesting.....so far I like not love it.  There are a couple of suspected things by me that might have me pretty upset during the second half of the book......which is physically set in Denmark so far, btw.  Greenland is flash backs and research.  I have two more on audio book that I need to listen to in order to finish the category without overlap.  We shall see if I manage to.

I just have to ask - why are you using this book for anything to do with Norway? :ph34r:  It's not just set in Denmark, it's Danish - author and language written in, and as you say, the settings are in Denmark and Greenland.  No one ever goes to Norway (I just read this book earlier this year, so fresh in my mind... 😉

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Responding to other stuff:

@Negin Just wanted to say that even if I've only been scrolling by on my phone, I've really been enjoying your Sevilla pics!  I lived for half a year there in college, and it was sooo beautiful!  Having wonderful flashbacks seeing your pics! 😊

I just have to ask - why are you using this book for anything to do with Norway? :ph34r:  It's not just set in Denmark, it's Danish - author and language written in, and as you say, the settings are in Denmark and Greenland.  No one ever goes to Norway (I just read this book earlier this year, so fresh in my mind... 😉

Gotta edit.....Greenland!  Dh has been sitting beside me playing interesting political YouTube’s while I type.  It was on a list of books set in Greenland btw.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

Gotta edit.....Greenland!  Dh has been sitting beside me playing interesting political YouTube’s while I type.  It was on a list of books set in Greenland btw.

Well that makes more sense!  A good chunk of the second half of the book is set in Greenland. You're good!  😅

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

As we approach the end of the year I have a couple of ridiculous, small brags. First, I've recently surpassed 52 books for the year, and second, one of my recent finishes is the Iliad, which was a first time read. Yay!

Can someone explain 10x10 challenges? Are you reading hundreds and hundreds of books each year? (She asked, moving over to stand in front of her small stack of 52 completed books 😊)

Also, when you find other books during the year do you just read them too, or is there room in your categories for "books yet to be found"?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SusanC said:

As we approach the end of the year I have a couple of ridiculous, small brags. First, I've recently surpassed 52 books for the year, and second, one of my recent finishes is the Iliad, which was a first time read. Yay!

Can someone explain 10x10 challenges? Are you reading hundreds and hundreds of books each year? (She asked, moving over to stand in front of her small stack of 52 completed books 😊)

Also, when you find other books during the year do you just read them too, or is there room in your categories for "books yet to be found"?

Congratulations on 52!

The 10 x 10 which was new last year technically means 100 but crossovers are totally allowed......so reading one book might fit several categories.  The thing I personally loved about it is we all set our own definitions (rules)  for our own categories and that means I changed mine a whole lot as the year progressed.😉  I liked the 10 x 10 and am a pretty high volume reader when you count all my romances/cozies.  These lists are my way of forcing myself into some new things.  Last year I read more science fiction than I have in 30 plus years.  Loved it but my list is now a bit depleted so I am going to read time travel books for the challenge.......I have an ambitious list but I also have a physical stack of time travel romances from the 90’s that might be enjoyed again.  I try to give myself some leeway.......

I am not sure at all about my Alfred Hitchcock books behind the movies idea........that may very well decrease to 1........I know I like the 39 Steps. 🤣. I made that list when exploring ideas for 2019 and decided to try them this year.  The list I posted is filled sort of with ramblings of me brainstorming to see if 10 potential books even existed for each category even existed that I might like and had access to.  It’s my starting point.

I know Robin is contemplating 4x5 or 5x4 to equal 20 for this next year so you might want to consider one of those.  So 4 categories with 5 books........I believe VC is carrying some of last year’s challenge forward.  I may very well finish a book or two in the new year.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Last week I finished Dark Matter by Michelle Paver. A 1937 British arctic expedition goes horribly wrong due to accidents and "something" that is not happy with the men in camp. Pretty good - I listened on audio - it was read by Jeremy Northam and he did an excellent job.

@Negin - wonderful photos! They have a quiet serenity to them that is just lovely.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Negin said:

Happy Sunday, Robin! I've been debating doing a Reading Bingo. I did one several years ago. 

Wonderful. There's a wide variety with our bingo for 2020. Or you can copy Quill and come up with one of your own.  Remember watching Golden Girls a long time ago with my mom. Hilarious and heartwarming.  Love the pictures of Cordoba. 

5 hours ago, mumto2 said:

may I ask what the category All about Eve will contain.....my mind flashed to a few different ideas which means it’s probably a great one!

Lots of different ideas.  Can be a character Eve like J.D. Robb's Eve or Eve Duncan in Iris Johansen mysteries,  Title like Eve by Ana Carey (now on kindle unlimited by the way) or Adam and Eve by Sena Jeter Naslund, or a story with the character or event on the eve of something and even a place.  

5 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I think I've finished both A-Z author and title, and I'm also on my last book for my 10x10, which is also counting as my last book for Bingo - and I've also finished my GR number goal I set at the beginning of the year, but not by much, so I think that was a good target.  I'll give a detailed list the last week of the year when I'm all done!

Great to see you and looking forward to your list next week.  I've add a couple dimensions to the A to Z including by female and/or male characters. 

4 hours ago, SusanC said:

Yeah, congratulations on surpassing your goal and reading the Iliad. It's one book I still haven't managed to finish.   The 10 x 10 cropped up last year with our 52 books 10th anniversary.  It's just for fun and reading 10 books in different categories.  With 2020, playing on the number and can go with 2 books in 10 categories or 10 books in 2 categories or go with 4 x 5 or 5 x 4 or both.  Mum explained it well. All the categories I came up with, I have books already on my shelves or fit with my reading mood.   I'm a mood reader so I make room or a new category to fit what I'm reading. 

4 hours ago, Kareni said:

This happens to be on sale today for Kindle readers for $2.99.I

(For what it's worth, I started but did not finish this. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.)

Hmm! Sounds interesting.  May give it a go later in the year. Why didn't you finish it?  Premise or bad writing????

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 4

Regarding Here and Now and Then by Mike Chen:

55 minutes ago, Robin M said:

Hmm! Sounds interesting.  May give it a go later in the year. Why didn't you finish it?  Premise or bad writing????

Neither. I read about a hundred pages, put it down, and was not compelled to pick it up again. Had it been the only thing in the house to read, I'd have continued on.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Regarding Here and Now and Then by Mike Chen:

Neither. I read about a hundred pages, put it down, and was not compelled to pick it up again. Had it been the only thing in the house to read, I'd have continued on.

Regards,

Kareni

I just looked to make sure I knew which book it was because one of the books on the list I have also already had once and quit after a few pages (Time After Time ). I added to the list because I know where to find it and it was abandoned into a stack where 4 or 5 books went that day so I was feeling particular. 😎 All I know Here and Now and Then is really popular in terms of lists.......I have seen that cover many times over the past few days!😂 Maybe I will try that one first!

eta. This is How to Lose a Time War is another one on multiple lists!

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Kareni said:

I've seen it on many lists, too. And once again, it's another I returned to the library only partially read. (I want another Linesman....)

Regards,

Kareni

I would like another Linesman too!  I think I am going to have to try and remember to listen to both of these books because I have much more patience with audio books!

• Like 3

Audio:

"I'll be gone in the dark" by Michelle McNamara. A documentary about the Golden State Killer, especially interesting to me because it happened in this neck of the woods and I know some of the areas rather well. Unbelievable what this community went through from the mid-seventies to the eighties.

I wonder if someone else has listened to this particular book on Overdrive: I have the volume to maximum with volume booster on and when I am on the freeway, I have a hard time hearing the narrator. Anyone have a similar experience? Any other way to up the volume on Overdrive?

Reading:

"Tomb of the Golden Bird" by Peters. Re-reading these books is like going home for me, similar to re-reading Anne of Green Gables or Avonlea.

"Vendetta in Death" by Robb is next on the reading list. I also want to see if any new Sebastian St. Cyr books are out.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 6

53 minutes ago, Kareni said:

1 hour ago, mumto2 said:

This is How to Lose a Time War is another one on multiple lists!

I've seen it on many lists, too. And once again, it's another I returned to the library only partially read. (I want another Linesman....)

I just read that for my SciFi book club.  Meh.  Wouldn't recommend - way to in love with its own cleverness.  No idea how it made so many lists.  It has some lovely sentences, but that doesn't make a great book, or even a great story...

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 5

Lots of catching up to do..... But this week I finished selected poems of Hugh MacDiarmid (10x10 category: Scots Wha' Hae) and The Stammering Century by Gilbert Seldes (category: Little Oval on the Spine). The latter is an account (from the 1920s) of some of the less well known of the fads, cults, new religions, and communist utopia attempts of the American mid-19th century. Did you know that Louisa May Alcott's father helped found a utopian commune that lasted all of seven months before they had to disband in order not to starve to death? Alcott wrote an account of the whole absurd endeavor that I should look up at some point.

Still reading Mara, Daughter of the Nile. That is, I should be finishing it. 

Also reading a new acquisition, The Unknown Poe. It's a collection of his generally uncollected writings--juvenalia, marginalia, letters--and filled out with writings on Poe by Baudelaire and the French Symbolists and Decadents who followed him. 

Back to read two weeks of threads.

• Like 6

Nice 10x10 list, Sandy! 

I'm only going to have one of my categories finished by the end of the year: Dramatic, Lyric, & Epic (poetry). Probably I'll just keep adding new categories as I finish old ones. Better work on The Brexit Deal (10 European countries not including the UK): time may be getting short.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Yes! But I think clever overlap between categories would help improve the odds. Maybe you could add horizontal rows for children's book(s) in each category.

I'm actually going to try *not* to overlap, because if I did some books would end up if 5 or 6 categories and  I would probably end up with 20 books or something. 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Junie said:

I'm actually going to try *not* to overlap, because if I did some books would end up if 5 or 6 categories and  I would probably end up with 20 books or something. 😉

Since I know you are on Goodreads I will share how I set up my shelves.  I made a shelf for each of 10 categories along with Bingo and whatever else I was doing challenge wise.  I tried to put every single book in every category it was appropriate for.  Sometimes I forget but I try.  I also keep a set of notes with each book assigned to one category.  Those bookshelves have been so handy now that I am trying to finish the year.......if I need to overlap I can.  I can also move books around a bit.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My (tentative)10x10 categories:

1. American Classics I Haven't Read Before

2. British Classics I Haven't Read Before

3. World Classics I Haven't Read Before

4.  High School Repeats -- books I haven't read since high school

5. Pre-reading for the Kids

6.  Books Recommended by BAWers :)

7.  Books in Another Language

8. Biographies, Autobiographies, and Memoirs

9. Mystery and Suspense

10. Junkfood

• Like 8

I finished my “Set in Scotland” 10x10 and don’t think I ever post my “Last Book in the Series ”list so......

The Last Book.......in a series (currently released)

1.  Wild Country by Anne Bishop

2.  Lies Sleeping by Ben Aaronovitch 

3.  Deadly Assesments by Drew Hayes

4.  The Last Time I Saw Her by Karen Robards

5.  Not Quite Over You by Susan Mallory

6.  The Golden Tresses of the Dead by Alan Bradley

7.   An Artless Demise by Anna Lee Huber

8.   Tiamet’s Wrath by James Corey

9.    A Better Man by Louise Penny

10.    Rise of the Magicks by Nora Roberts 

8.  Set in Scotland........originally planned as all mysteries/ crime novels  but ended up adding some Scottish Sci Fi (Voyage to Arcturus) and a historical romance (To Wed a Wild Scot) because I thought the discussions of highland clearings were well done.

1.  The Sunday Philosophy Club by Alexander McCall Smith (3 Books)

2.  A Small Death in the Great Glynn by AD Scott (2 books)

3.  Hide and Seek by Ian Rankin

4.  The Distant Echo by Val McDermid

5.  The 39 Steps by  John Buchan

6.  A Voyage to Arcturus by David Lindsay

7.   Hand for a Hand by Frank Muir

8.   To Wed a Wild Scot by Anna Badle...the Highland Clearances

9.   Hooked on Ewe by Hannah Reed

10.   Still Midnight by Denise Mina

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

@Negin you should make a calendar out of all your amazing pics! 

Thank you. I hadn't thought of that. It would be fun! Talking about calendars, I ordered this for the coming year since I love all things Victorian. My daughter laughs at me with my kitschy taste! I just think it's adorable!

91Pw4LtP55L.jpg

• Like 8

Late last night, I finished the book that my book group will be discussing later this week. I found it a fairly quick read as I finished it in two evenings. I'm interested to learn what others in the group thought of it.

Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows: A Novel by Naomi Kaur Jaswal. 

"Every woman has a secret life . . .

Nikki lives in cosmopolitan West London, where she tends bar at the local pub. The daughter of Indian immigrants, she’s spent most of her twenty-odd years distancing herself from the traditional Sikh community of her childhood, preferring a more independent (that is, Western) life. When her father’s death leaves the family financially strapped, Nikki, a law school dropout, impulsively takes a job teaching a "creative writing" course at the community center in the beating heart of London’s close-knit Punjabi community.

Because of a miscommunication, the proper Sikh widows who show up are expecting to learn basic English literacy, not the art of short-story writing. When one of the widows finds a book of sexy stories in English and shares it with the class, Nikki realizes that beneath their white dupattas, her students have a wealth of fantasies and memories. Eager to liberate these modest women, she teaches them how to express their untold stories, unleashing creativity of the most unexpected—and exciting—kind.

As more women are drawn to the class, Nikki warns her students to keep their work secret from the Brotherhood, a group of highly conservative young men who have appointed themselves the community’s "moral police." But when the widows’ gossip offers shocking insights into the death of a young wife—a modern woman like Nikki—and some of the class erotica is shared among friends, it sparks a scandal that threatens them all. "

Earlier I read and enjoyed a romance novella, The Winter Courtship Rituals of Fur-Bearing Critters (Granby Knitting Series Book 1) by Amy Lane. This has a surprising amount of information about fiber arts amidst the romance. (Adult content)

"Rance Crawford is an alpaca rancher, fiber mill owner, and self-proclaimed grumpy bastard. When sweet, charming tenderfoot Ben McCutcheon moves onto Crawford’s rural road, Rance is very aware that Ben makes it a grand total of two gay men in their tiny town, and even though he is instantly, painfully smitten, any move he makes could be simply chalked up to being hard up. Using his best weapon and favorite skill, Crawford launches an awkward, wordless effort to make sure Ben is kept warm during the cold Colorado winter, every last piece of him—especially his heart."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

@Kareni Jane Austin’s Ghost is now on hold!

@Robin M  So Dragons.........just saw this review https://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/reviews/sorcerer-to-the-crown-by-zen-cho/. The Sorcerer and the Crown May not have been given the best review but I think it may be one I would enjoy!  On hold.

9 hours ago, Negin said:

Thank you. I hadn't thought of that. It would be fun! Talking about calendars, I ordered this for the coming year since I love all things Victorian. My daughter laughs at me with my kitschy taste! I just think it's adorable!

91Pw4LtP55L.jpg

It’s beautiful!  I love the colors.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Kareni said:

The Shape of Water is different, but very good and I have Mrs. Caliban on my virtual shelves currently.  

Thank you for all the wonderful links! Still meandering through Whatever's lists. 

3 hours ago, mumto2 said:

So Dragons.........just saw this review https://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/reviews/sorcerer-to-the-crown-by-zen-cho/. The Sorcerer and the Crown May not have been given the best review but I think it may be one I would enjoy!  On hold.

I added it to my wishlist a few days ago.  Looked really good.     For the Lord of the Rings read - Are you going to read The Hobbit before Fellowship of the Rings?  By the way, all three books in the Lord of the Ring's trilogy on available on Kindle Unlimited.  

• Like 4

On 12/16/2019 at 1:10 AM, Violet Crown said:

Lots of catching up to do..... But this week I finished selected poems of Hugh MacDiarmid (10x10 category: Scots Wha' Hae) and The Stammering Century by Gilbert Seldes (category: Little Oval on the Spine). The latter is an account (from the 1920s) of some of the less well known of the fads, cults, new religions, and communist utopia attempts of the American mid-19th century. Did you know that Louisa May Alcott's father helped found a utopian commune that lasted all of seven months before they had to disband in order not to starve to death? Alcott wrote an account of the whole absurd endeavor that I should look up at some point.

Why yes, yes I did know that - mostly because I live here in Alcott-land.  I'm about 20 min away from Orchard House (where Louisa May Alcott and family lived) and even closer to Fruitlands, the utopian commune.  And I've even read her quite hilarious account of her time in the commune.  The dudes (everyone but the long-suffering Abigail and the daughters, and one other woman who was also no help) wandered around in linen shifts (no wool - vegan type reasons; no cotton - slave labor) and tried to convince other people to join their utopian venture.  Meanwhile Abigail did all the work, planting, cooking, etc.  Some guy snuck in a cow that he convinced the others was a bull, and secretly milked it (they wanted no animal labor, but also didn't want to do any of the work themselves, so acquiesced to the 'bull' to pull a plow).  So, yeah, that didn't go well.  They had to give it all up before the winter because -surprise - they'd put away pretty much no food.  And no animals.  Louisa May's account, titled Transcendental Wild Oats and based on diaries she kept during that time, is quite funny.

Thoreau was invited to join, but declined.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 8

On 12/16/2019 at 10:09 AM, Junie said:

My (tentative)10x10 categories:

1. American Classics I Haven't Read Before

2. British Classics I Haven't Read Before

3. World Classics I Haven't Read Before

4.  High School Repeats -- books I haven't read since high school

5. Pre-reading for the Kids

6.  Books Recommended by BAWers 🙂

7.  Books in Another Language

8. Biographies, Autobiographies, and Memoirs

9. Mystery and Suspense

10. Junkfood

Those are some fun categories!  I try to read some "Classics I haven't read" every year, but I'm not sure I could get through 30 in one year!  What languages for "Books in another Language"?  Or do you mean translated books? 

On 12/16/2019 at 9:49 AM, mumto2 said:

Since I know you are on Goodreads I will share how I set up my shelves.  I made a shelf for each of 10 categories along with Bingo and whatever else I was doing challenge wise.  I tried to put every single book in every category it was appropriate for.  Sometimes I forget but I try.  I also keep a set of notes with each book assigned to one category.  Those bookshelves have been so handy now that I am trying to finish the year.......if I need to overlap I can.  I can also move books around a bit.

I think I'm Goodreads friends with most people on BaW, but I can't figure out if you're one of them, Junie?  I'm guessing you have another name over there?  Who are you, LOL?  If we're not already, feel free to friend me (that goes for anyone else that I've somehow missed!)  My GR Profile page.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Robin M said:

The Shape of Water is different, but very good and I have Mrs. Caliban on my virtual shelves currently.  

Thank you for all the wonderful links! Still meandering through Whatever's lists. 

I added it to my wishlist a few days ago.  Looked really good.     For the Lord of the Rings read - Are you going to read The Hobbit before Fellowship of the Rings?  By the way, all three books in the Lord of the Ring's trilogy on available on Kindle Unlimited.  

I love The Hobbit best so I will read be reading The Hobbit.  😉.I don’t think the rest of the world feels quite my level of Hobbit adoration so I understand if others just want to start with Fellowship.  When do we want to start?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Why yes, yes I did know that - mostly because I live here in Alcott-land.  I'm about 20 min away from Orchard House (where Louisa May Alcott and family lived) and even closer to Fruitlands, the utopian commune.  And I've even read her quite hilarious account of her time in the commune.  The dudes (everyone but the long-suffering Abigail and the daughters, and one other woman who was also no help) wandered around in linen shifts (no wool - vegan type reasons; no cotton - slave labor) and tried to convince other people to join their utopian venture.  Meanwhile Abigail did all the work, planting, cooking, etc.  Some guy snuck in a cow that he convinced the others was a bull, and secretly milked it (they wanted no animal labor, but also didn't want to do any of the work themselves, so acquiesced to the 'bull' to pull a plow).  So, yeah, that didn't go well.  They had to give it all up before the winter because -surprise - they'd put away pretty much no food.  And no animals.  Louisa May's account, titled Transcendental Wild Oats and based on diaries she kept during that time, is quite funny.

Thoreau was invited to join, but declined.

Isn't that all just fantastic? There was definitely something in the air in that century--think of Fourier and his utopian Phalansteries and the oceans turning to lemonade because Man is finally in harmony with Nature. I must read that book of Alcotts. Why did we not learn these things in American History class? Think how different the APUSH could be.

ETA: I have to assume you've read Hawthorne's The Blithedale Romance. Why do schools assign The Scarlet Letter instead?

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Violet Crown said:

Isn't that all just fantastic? There was definitely something in the air in that century--think of Fourier and his utopian Phalansteries and the oceans turning to lemonade because Man is finally in harmony with Nature. I must read that book of Alcotts. Why did we not learn these things in American History class? Think how different the APUSH could be.

ETA: I have to assume you've read Hawthorne's The Blithedale Romance. Why do schools assign The Scarlet Letter instead?

I'll agree with the scope and sequence of how history is taught (not just US history) could be much improved!  

I have not read The Blithedale Romance - I'll have to put it on my list!  I think the only Hawthorne I've read is yes, The Scarlet Letter and also The House of the Seven Gables.  I finally read Moby-Dick this year and quite enjoyed it; and along with that I read Why Read Moby-Dick, which talked a lot about what a fan-boy crush Melville had on Hawthorne.  One of my favorite house tours in Concord is The Old Manse, which was owned by Emerson but where Hawthorne lived for a while when he was newly wed, and where he and his wife etched poetry into the window glass with her diamond ring.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I love The Hobbit best so I will read be reading The Hobbit.  😉.I don’t think the rest of the world feels quite my level of Hobbit adoration so I understand if others just want to start with Fellowship.  When do we want to start?

It's been years since I've read any of the books but I do remember the journey with the 'ring' began in the Hobbit, so it seems the best place to begin is at the beginning. Perhaps we can do a book a quarter so those who are interested can join in, where ever, depending on what book they are on.  1st quarter the Hobbit (possibly start mid January)  2nd quarter Fellowship of the Ring, 3rd Quarter Two Towers, and 4th Quarter Return of the King

Wow- lots of interesting books in your Last in Series and Set in Scotland reads. Several authors I haven't read, so will have to check them out. 

@Negin  Love the Victorian Calendar 

@Junie  Love your 10 categories! 

@Violet Crown  What books go with your little oval on the spine? Is that a symbol for a publisher???

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Robin M said:

It's been years since I've read any of the books but I do remember the journey with the 'ring' began in the Hobbit, so it seems the best place to begin is at the beginning. Perhaps we can do a book a quarter so those who are interested can join in, where ever, depending on what book they are on.  1st quarter the Hobbit (possibly start mid January)  2nd quarter Fellowship of the Ring, 3rd Quarter Two Towers, and 4th Quarter Return of the King

Wow- lots of interesting books in your Last in Series and Set in Scotland reads. Several authors I haven't read, so will have to check them out. 

@Negin  Love the Victorian Calendar 

@Junie  Love your 10 categories! 

@Violet Crown  What books go with your little oval on the spine? Is that a symbol for a publisher???

The one book a quarter sounds perfect.  Everything definitely starts in The Hobbit......at least imo.  The journey starts there, friendships are formed, a the  ring.   Also the best dragon!  😉I used to have a neighbor who didn’t agree and had never read The Hobbit because it was a children’s book!  

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Robin M said:

It's the logo for the New York Review Books. They're so reliably good that whenever dh or I see "the little oval on the spine" at Half Price or the library discard store, we get the book. If one of us doesn't like it, the other will.

Oh, look! They're having a 40% off sale! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Violet Crown said:

It's the logo for the New York Review Books. They're so reliably good that whenever dh or I see "the little oval on the spine" at Half Price or the library discard store, we get the book. If one of us doesn't like it, the other will.

Oh, look! They're having a 40% off sale! 

Awesome and thank you, I'll have to check them out.

On a weird note, are any of you ready for a name change for 2020.  We'll still do 52 books but I have Cafe Biblio stuck in my head tonight for some reason. 🙃

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Robin M said:

Awesome and thank you, I'll have to check them out.

On a weird note, are any of you ready for a name change for 2020.  We'll still do 52 books but I have Cafe Biblio stuck in my head tonight for some reason. 🙃

Name change is good with me.

Have to admit I glanced quickly and read Cafe Bilbo......I have hobbits on the brain!😂.  Cafe Biblio is much better!😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

The one book a quarter sounds perfect.  Everything definitely starts in The Hobbit......at least imo.  The journey starts there, friendships are formed, a the  ring.   Also the best dragon!  😉I used to have a neighbor who didn’t agree and had never read The Hobbit because it was a children’s book!  

I may join you... one of my 10x10 categories for next year (of which there may be more than 10) is going to be re-reads - mostly from long ago.  I don't reread much - LOTR is an exception - I've read it three times already; the first two times I read the whole thing in three days (one day per book) - don't think I have that kind of stamina anymore!  Anyway, I was thinking of my reread category being favorite books/authors I haven't ever reread, but I have kept feeling like I should somehow fit LOTR in there.  Maybe this is a good way to do it.  Though I may skip the Hobbit.  I do like it okay, but for me it's not on the level of LOTR (and I haven't ever reread it).

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Those are some fun categories!  I try to read some "Classics I haven't read" every year, but I'm not sure I could get through 30 in one year!  What languages for "Books in another Language"?  Or do you mean translated books? 

I think I'm Goodreads friends with most people on BaW, but I can't figure out if you're one of them, Junie?  I'm guessing you have another name over there?  Who are you, LOL?  If we're not already, feel free to friend me (that goes for anyone else that I've somehow missed!)  My GR Profile page.

I am studying Spanish and I know a little tiny bit of French.  I am currently reading the Spanish translation of Because of Bethlehem by Max Lucado and I am planning to read El Hobbit. :)  I am hoping to read at least 4 books in Spanish next year.  The rest of the category will probably be rounded out with beginner readers in French.

I friended you. :)

• Like 6