Menu

It has happened

maize

The thing I thought might never come to pass--my teenage son has started paying attention to his appearance. 

His hair gets washed and combed.

He wears appropriate clothing.

He even asked me yesterday if brown or black shoes would go better with his outfit for church.

Where is that Svengo icon when I need it...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 9

Mine pays attention to my appearance as well (multiply by two teens) 😂

DS15 has sensory issues with clothes (and shoes and combs) so when he starts being picky about aesthetics as well, the clothing expenses goes up even higher, plus he is an odd size like me. DS14 doesn’t have the sensory issue with clothes and is more “normal retail size” so is cheaper to shop for. 

My teens also tried all kinds of hair gel but didn’t like the texture so just use lots of water instead for styling their hair. Same goes for facial cleanser. 

No girls that they are interested in and they are not into selfies. Their classmates for outside brick and mortar courses have been dressing better for public high schools.

• Like 2

I love this.  My friend has a great story about the exact moment her son developed a sense of modesty.  He ran out to the van in his boxers to retrieve a pair of pants.  This was not out of character for him. The van was in the driveway.  He suddenly felt exposed, dropped to the ground, and low-crawled back to the front door.  He never went outside in his boxers and t-shirt again.  His mother had been trying to convince him for years that it was a bad idea, but he never really comprehended until the day that he did.  😂 Meanwhile his three-year-old sister wouldn't leave the house if her purse didn't match her shoes.  🤣

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I love this.  My friend has a great story about the exact moment her son developed a sense of modesty.  He ran out to the van in his boxers to retrieve a pair of pants.  This was not out of character for him. The van was in the driveway.  He suddenly felt exposed, dropped to the ground, and low-crawled back to the front door.  He never went outside in his boxers and t-shirt again.  His mother had been trying to convince him for years that it was a bad idea, but he never really comprehended until the day that he did.  😂 Meanwhile his three-year-old sister wouldn't leave the house if her purse didn't match her shoes.  🤣

But...why were the pants in the van?  I mean, I just can't wrap my mind around that part of that story. 

So far, our oldest (only 9) is very good about cleanliness. That is, if we tell him to shower/clean up, he does. And he generally does a good job. I hope and pray that this never changes. At that same time, I hope that someday he learns to take the initiative about these things.

Our 6 yo though is the other end of the spectrum. Getting him clean is exhausting for me!