Menu

What Is Up With My Dog?

Paige

Our 4yr old dog has been acting unusually. She's lived her whole life with our cats and lately she's been randomly snapping and chasing them. It's possible they are sneakily provoking her but it's unlikely that they've been doing it more than they did the past 3-4 years. She's been crate trained for years, but now she's started barking at night when left alone. We let her out but that doesn't seem to be the issue. I don't think she's barking to be let out to use the bathroom but because she wants company. She's also been growling at people when we take her for walks. 

She seems healthy and nothing has changed except that she's no longer going to her doggy school. She was doing things like scent training, agility, and obedience since she was 6months old, but they almost doubled the price earlier this year and we had stuff going on, so I decided to take a break. Any ideas? It's a problem. 

The first thing I'd consider is taking her in for a thorough check up, including blood work. There are some health issues that can cause behavior changes. The most common ones are probably thyroid issues and chronic pain. It's not impossible that she just needs more mental stimulation and physical exercise, but I'd be leery of assuming those were the cause of growling at random people on walks. That's a serious issue, IMO, especially if it's a totally new issue at four years old.

She's always been a little growly with strangers (she's a chihuahua mix) which is why she was in doggy school for so long. She needed the consistency and even failed her CGC the first time because she growled when a new to her trainer tried to pick up her paw. So it's a return of bad behavior in that area rather than new behavior. She does have her CGC and has been so good for a long time until recently. The issues with the cats and barking are entirely new however. I thought maybe it could be a vision or hearing thing? Or definitely boredom too since she loved doggy school.

I will take her in. She had poor reactions to vaccines and flea/tick meds so she doesn't see the vet annually and has titers taken every few years instead. 

Edited by Paige
  • Like 2

It does sound like she is bored and also lonely. Does she spend time with other dogs? Some dogs really crave the companionship of other dogs, and maybe she isn't getting that since quitting doggy school? Do you keep the crate close by at night, or is she by herself? It is natural for dogs to want to sleep with their pack, whether it is humans or other dogs.

She's not especially dog friendly. She wouldn't enjoy the dog park. At school they weren't really allowed to socialize but she got exposure so she would be tolerant. Her crate hasn't moved...it's not with us but she's always been fine. She's even barking if left alone uncrated while we're all upstairs or something during the day which has never been a problem. Someone's with her 90% of the time, though. She has a chihuahua's potty habits and cannot be trusted alone so I always try to keep her with at least one of the kids.

Thyroid could be it. She's fat despite a tiny appetite and we increased her walks and exercise to try to address her weight and saw no improvement over months. Even when she was little obedience school was tough because her appetite was so tiny she would begin rejecting treats halfway through the class.

My Chi mix (not only growly but snappish!) learned to love his crate but whenever he was not feeling well (be it stomach issues or, later, arthritis) he was restless and barky when we put him in it. A vet check is definitely in order. 

We did titer tests for him, too. His immune system was way out of whack.

Let us know what you find out!

8 hours ago, Paige said:

She's not especially dog friendly. She wouldn't enjoy the dog park. At school they weren't really allowed to socialize but she got exposure so she would be tolerant. Her crate hasn't moved...it's not with us but she's always been fine. She's even barking if left alone uncrated while we're all upstairs or something during the day which has never been a problem. Someone's with her 90% of the time, though. She has a chihuahua's potty habits and cannot be trusted alone so I always try to keep her with at least one of the kids.

Thyroid could be it. She's fat despite a tiny appetite and we increased her walks and exercise to try to address her weight and saw no improvement over months. Even when she was little obedience school was tough because her appetite was so tiny she would begin rejecting treats halfway through the class.

Vet time for a through check.   Cushing’s is also something to consider.