Menu

Book a Week 2019 - BW49: Whodunit Bookology - Gabriel Allon

Robin M

Happy Sunday and welcome to week forty-nine in our 52 Books rambling roads reading adventure. Greetings to all our readers, welcome to all joining in for the first time and everyone following our progress. Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as the central spot to share your book reviews.

Our whodunit bookology detective for December is Gabriel Allon, created by Daniel Silva. The character is a former Israeli intelligence operative  who retired and became an art restorer,  but gets pulled out of retirement to catch a terrorist. 

There are a variety of ways to complete this challenge with plenty of rabbit trails. Read a book with one or more of the following (but not limited too) and have fun exploring a variety of places and topics: 

·         One book per letter in the character's first or last name.

·         One book per letter in the author's first or last name.

·         If you're feeling really ambitious, one book per letter in the character's first and last name.

·         Follow in the character's footsteps and read a book set in the country or time frame of the story.

·         Follow in the author's footsteps and read a book set in their place or time of birth.

·         Read a book with the first or last name of the character or author in the title.

·         Read the first book in the series.

Daniel Silva's 19th book in the Gabriel Allon series, The New Girl, was released in July 2019. Learn more about the author and his thoughts on Pop Cultureon seeing his thriller plots come true, and how he celebrates the art world via superspy Gabriel Allon.

What are you reading?

Link to week 48

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 4

I finished Louise Penny's A Better Man which was good and answered some questions as well as bring up quite a few emotional issues and conundrums for the characters.  "What would you do in my place?" type questions. 

Currently reading "Archer's Voice" in which the main character is mute.  More young adult romance than contemporary and writing is a little weak, but enjoying the story line. 

• Like 5

Robin, thank you for this wonderful thread, as always! I have yet to read any of the Daniel Silva books. I think that I have a few, but would prefer to read them in order.  

I read Mapping Manhattan: A Love (and Sometimes Hate) Story in Maps by 75 New Yorkers - 1 Star - I thought that this would be a fun read and loved the idea, but it just ended up being “meh”. Most of the maps and print were too small and/or illegible. Most of the stories and poems were boring also.

Everything I Need to Know About Christmas I Learned From a Little Golden Book - 3 Stars - This series (for adults, mind you) is pure nostalgia and cuteness. Although this one wasn’t my favorite, it would still make a nice gift for anyone who loved the Golden Books as a child.

Pachinko - 5 Stars - I recently read and reviewed The Lords of Discipline and said that it was my favorite read of the year. Now, this book is my new favorite. I have a soft spot for multi-generational family sagas. Evergreen is another one that comes to mind. I read that one earlier this year (and loved it also).

This gorgeously written story deals with the displacement of Koreans in Japan across a fifty-year time period. So much of it was truly eye-opening.

It’s the sort of book that I could barely put down. I became obsessed with the story and felt irritated any time that I couldn’t read. I love books like that. My only complaint is that the ending felt a tiny bit rushed and there were a few unresolved stories, but honestly, that was relatively minor. All in all. I absolutely loved this book.

My favorite quotes:

“You want to see a very bad man? Make an ordinary man successful beyond his imagination. Let’s see how good he is when he can do whatever he wants.”

“...a God that did everything we thought was right and good wouldn't be the creator of the universe. He would be our puppet.”

“a man must learn to forgive—to know what is important, that to live without forgiveness was a kind of death with breathing and movement.”

“Patriotism is just an idea, so is capitalism or communism. But ideas can make men forget their own interests. And the guys in charge will exploit men who believe in ideas too much.”

“There's no such thing as a benevolent leader. ... Those communists don't care about you. They don't care about anybody.”

“For people like us, home doesn't exist.”

9781419706721.jpg  9780553497359.jpg   9781455563920.jpg

Some more pictures from our time in Sevilla. Sorry if this is all getting a bit boring and repetitive. You might recognize the last one from a scene in one of the Star Wars episodes. 

44a.jpg

45a.jpg

70.jpg

81.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Robin M said:

I finished Louise Penny's A Better Man which was good and answered some questions as well as bring up quite a few emotional issues and conundrums for the characters.  "What would you do in my place?" type questions. 

Currently reading "Archer's Voice" in which the main character is mute.  More young adult romance than contemporary and writing is a little weak, but enjoying the story line. 

Since you are my only friend who has read A Better Man I have to ask.......At this moment will you be reading more in the series, assuming more exist?  The last few books have been such a roller coaster of emotion for me.  I am really hoping I can stop now. 😉 @aggieamy quit a few books ago..........

The pictures are beautiful @Negin.  Definitely not boring me!

Gabriel Allon is on of the few detectives in this year’s detective list that I am already somewhat familiar with.  I have read several, all out of order, and am hoping to read the series in order over the next year.  I read the first earlier this year.  I am down to two letters in Phryne Fisher.....  I have F, which will be my in progress Faith Hunter and P,  which is also in progress with Polaris Rising......enjoying this one.  I had an Overdrive crisis and had to read some other books first,  some of which may be used to get Gabriel Allon done!

Before I forget there have been a few changes in Overdrive over the past few weeks so be aware that you might just lose the book if it is past it’s expiration on a turned off device.  We lost some (Dd lost some 2 weeks ago) on a fire.  My ancient reader still has them so Dd now has both my reader and fire.  I seem to be the one suffering here.  The latest book to expire is still on the fire so maybe they changed the programming.  So my advice is if the book has a huge hold’s line try to finish it......😉. My kid’s say that having the books self remove by date even on a WiFi less device would be super easy programming wise.....so a warning.

Another Overdrive change is the ease that one can now return books.  I used to have to go to Amazon but now two touches on my screen mean the books gone.  I know I will be returning books as I finish them every time now not just when I wanted to tidy my account.   I wonder if it is a change in reaction to the new policy by publishers limiting Overdrive copies?  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@Negin Your pictures are never boring or repetitive. You captured the beauty of every place you have traveled and I love looking at them.  Gorgeous shots. Thank you for sharing!

@mumto2  Her books are becoming more emotional aren't they!  Part of it seemed like filler for some reason.  I enjoy her writing and will probably continue but no longer have the 'got to have it now, can't wait until it comes out in paperback,' desire to read.  I've noticed a difference in her writing ever since her husband died which I think accounts for the emotional rides of the characters.

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 7

Traveling to and from our friends' house for Thanksgiving, my husband and I listened to Seraphina by Rachel Hartman. Normally I doze while my husband drives and listens; however, this kept my attention, too.

"Lyrical, imaginative, and wholly original, this New York Times bestseller with 8 starred reviews is not to be missed.  Rachel Hartman’s award-winning debut will have you looking at dragons as you’ve never imagined them before…

In the kingdom of Goredd, dragons and humans live and work side by side – while below the surface, tensions and hostility simmer.

The newest member of the royal court, a uniquely gifted musician named Seraphina, holds a deep secret of her own. One that she guards with all of her being.

When a member of the royal family is brutally murdered, Seraphina is drawn into the investigation alongside the dangerously perceptive—and dashing—Prince Lucien. But as the two uncover a sinister plot to destroy the wavering peace of the kingdom, Seraphina’s struggle to protect her secret becomes increasingly difficult… while its discovery could mean her very life."

I also read and enjoyed  A Holiday By Gaslight: A Victorian Christmas Novella by Mimi Matthews. I'd heard some good reviews of this author's books and would happily read others by her.

"A Courtship of Convenience

Sophie Appersett is quite willing to marry outside of her class to ensure the survival of her family. But the darkly handsome Mr. Edward Sharpe is no run-of-the-mill London merchant. He's grim and silent. A man of little emotion--or perhaps no emotion at all. After two months of courtship, she's ready to put an end to things.

A Last Chance for Love

But severing ties with her taciturn suitor isn't as straightforward as Sophie envisioned. Her parents are outraged. And then there's Charles Darwin, Prince Albert, and that dratted gaslight. What's a girl to do except invite Mr. Sharpe to Appersett House for Christmas and give him one last chance to win her? Only this time there'll be no false formality. This time they'll get to know each other for who they really are."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

@Kareni The Seraphina series is a favorite of my daughter’s.  Pre me on Goodreads but I believe I read and enjoyed the first  couple of these myself!

4 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Happy Sunday!! I have been a terrible BaW'er this year, but am trying to make up for lost time. Youngest got a dyslexia dx at the end of summer, so all of my reading time and brain power was absorbed by learning about that, and it left me out of steam for other reads. I, perhaps fortunately, caught a minor cold the day after Thanksgiving though so I haven't felt like doing much but going through some fast twisty novels. And what a week to come back!! Gabriel Allon is one of my all time favorite series! I haven't read his latest yet, but I've read the previous 18, so I need to get cracking! 

Over this weekend I've read The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekdanan (3.5 of 5 stars), which was a quick twisty read, and then followed it with The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware (4 of 5 stars) which I very much enjoyed. It was the first book of hers I've read and I'll definitely be reading another. It was a compelling, suspenseful tale- really a page turner. Now I'm working on The Whisper Man by Alex North and listening to Sword of Kings (Saxon Stories #12) by Bernard Cornwell, the latest tale of my beloved Uhtred. 🙂

@Negin those pictures are absolutely stunning. 

Good to see you back on BaW! 😁 I have looked at The Whisper Man but have’t checked it out yet.  The cover is sort of scary!😉. Let me know how you like it......

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Oh my gosh I just finished it and now I don’t think I’m going to be able to sleep! It reminds me of a cross between Silence of the Lambs and a John Connolly (Charlie Parker series) novel. It was good but definitely dark and creepy. 

And probably not the book for me!  Not up for Silence of the Lambs creepy right now.   Go watch something funny or read a romance novel. Hope you get some sleep!

• Like 4

Last week I finished Wuthering Heights, and am making good progress through Gilbert Seldes's The Stammering Century, about the minor religious movements and fads of the American 19th century. Also still reading from Newman's Parochial and Plain Sermons. Soon though I will have to pick up Mara, Daughter of the Nile and read it for teaching. I have read more YA books this year than in the previous three decade and I can't say they're growing on me. 

Great Girl convinced me to try storing my book spreadsheet on LibraryThing, so I will give that a try if I can only get the spreadsheet to import. Either it's been waiting in queue for two days or it just isn't importing at all. Has anyone else put her book list on LT?

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 6

Well that was unimpressive. After days of waiting, LibraryThing imported my spreadsheet of several thousand books as 324 books, with only the first name of each writer.

We ordered several books in Latin and Greek for Middle Girl on cyber-Monday, as 40% off is a good deal on classical titles.

Good to see you, Æthylthryth. I've been remiss myself as work cuts into reading time.

Lovely photos, Negin. The opposite of boring.

Re-watching Alien with Middle Girl, I realized for the first time that the industrial ship it takes place on is called the Nostromo. Now I need to go read some Conrad.

ETA: Wait ... the number of books is going up ... but still no last names. We now have an awful lot of books by "John."

ETA2: And the names have appeared! Happy now.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

This is my first introduction to Daniel Silva.  I’ll try his first book.

@Negin I love the photos!

@mumto2 thanks for the heads up on another Louise Penny.

19 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I forgot to mention I am valiantly attempting to read Edward Snowden's book- Permanent Record, but it is just not doing it for me. It's a slog and honestly he's coming across as a prig. I think he's about to be resigned to my DNF shelf. 

I usually use Audio if I can for a variety of reasons.  I can set a book to play while doing other things.  And sometimes at faster speed.  

I still often don’t finish, but it makes it easier.🤷‍♀️

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

Yay! (I enjoyed seeing the progression of your ETAs!)

@Negin, I'm another who has been enjoying your pictures.

On 12/2/2019 at 2:56 PM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I also stocked up on thrillers on the Cyber Monday Kindle sale today, so now I won't be sleeping the rest of the month! 😃

I've heard that sleep is overrated!

On 12/1/2019 at 6:08 PM, mumto2 said:

Kareni The Seraphina series is a favorite of my daughter’s.  Pre me on Goodreads but I believe I read and enjoyed the first  couple of these myself!

My husband was clearly taken with Seraphina as (to my surprise) the sequel has appeared on his holiday wishlist!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

On 12/1/2019 at 1:14 PM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Happy Sunday!! I have been a terrible BaW'er this year, but am trying to make up for lost time. Youngest got a dyslexia dx at the end of summer, so all of my reading time and brain power was absorbed by learning about that, and it left me out of steam for other reads. I, perhaps fortunately, caught a minor cold the day after Thanksgiving though so I haven't felt like doing much but going through some fast twisty novels. And what a week to come back!! Gabriel Allon is one of my all time favorite series! I haven't read his latest yet, but I've read the previous 18, so I need to get cracking! 

Over this weekend I've read The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekdanan (3.5 of 5 stars), which was a quick twisty read, and then followed it with The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware (4 of 5 stars) which I very much enjoyed. It was the first book of hers I've read and I'll definitely be reading another. It was a compelling, suspenseful tale- really a page turner. Now I'm working on The Whisper Man by Alex North and listening to Sword of Kings (Saxon Stories #12) by Bernard Cornwell, the latest tale of my beloved Uhtred. 🙂

@Negin those pictures are absolutely stunning. 

Waving hello! Good to see you.  I'm reading The Kill Artist right now. I jumped into the middle of the series a few years back and never read the first one, don't know why.  Enjoying it!  How are you and your youngest doing? Hubby was diagnosed with dyslexia when he was young and his aunt worked with him on reading strategies. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

Well that was unimpressive. After days of waiting, LibraryThing imported my spreadsheet of several thousand books as 324 books, with only the first name of each writer.

We ordered several books in Latin and Greek for Middle Girl on cyber-Monday, as 40% off is a good deal on classical titles.

Good to see you, Æthylthryth. I've been remiss myself as work cuts into reading time.

Lovely photos, Negin. The opposite of boring.

Re-watching Alien with Middle Girl, I realized for the first time that the industrial ship it takes place on is called the Nostromo. Now I need to go read some Conrad.

ETA: Wait ... the number of books is going up ... but still no last names. We now have an awful lot of books by "John."

Yeah, glad the import worked for you. I tried Library thing years ago but didn't keep up with it.   

Nostromo! I didn't catch that. Did you ever watch the prequel "Prometheus?"  It's just as good, but as my son says, has lots of cringeworthy moments. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

I'd never heard of it but just looked it up on Wikipedia. The fifth movie in the Alien series?? I didn't know there had been more than two.

[crawls back under comfy rock]

Yep, my son introduced me to all of them as well as the six movies in the terminator franchise.

Now he's having us watch all the Teenage mutant Ninja turtle movies.  Oh my gosh, they are just silly beyond words. Park your brain at the door kind of movies. 😁

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Robin M said:

Yep, my son introduced me to all of them as well as the six movies in the terminator franchise.

Now he's having us watch all the Teenage mutant Ninja turtle movies.  Oh my gosh, they are just silly beyond words. Park your brain at the door kind of movies. 😁

My kids and Dh just watched all the Terminator’s and The Sarah Jane Chronicles......I read.😉  Not sure if they have watched all the Aliens .... Shhhh I have never even watched the first one.  It looks scary!

• Like 2

I just started The Kill Artist .    As an audiobook.

Is it a book okay for just before bed? Not distress or nightmare provoking? (For guidance, I am okay with Louise Penny before bed.  Patricia Cornwall is on the edge. Silence of the Lambs is not okay.) 

Okay for younger kids overhearing?  An Amazon review said a child is killed in it as per a snuff film, so I’m feeling concerned. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pen said:

Is it a book okay for just before bed? Not distress or nightmare provoking? (For guidance, I am okay with Louise Penny before bed.  Patricia Cornwall is on the edge. Silence of the Lambs is not okay.) 

Okay for younger kids overhearing?  An Amazon review said a child is killed in it as per a snuff film, so I’m feeling concerned. 

How did it go?  I just saw this and it has been a year since I read it but it does not stand out it my memory as being particularly brutal but if I am reading a book I skip scenes without them even registering fully that make me uncomfortable.  All those read aloud with the dc’s......😉

• Like 2

I've recently finished two books ~

I quite enjoyed The Terrans (First Salik War Book 1) by Jean Johnson which I'd describe as a science fiction first contact story. It does have a fairly gruesome section early on, but it's soon over.

"Jean Johnson's first novel in an explosive new science fiction trilogy set in the world of the national bestselling Theirs Not to Reason Why series—set two-hundred years earlier, at the dawn of the First Salik War…

Born into a political family and gifted with psychic abilities, Jacaranda MacKenzie has served as a border-watcher and even spent time as a representative on the United Planets Council. Now she just wants to spend her days in peace and quiet as a translator—but the universe has other plans…

Humans have long known that they would encounter more alien species, and while those with precognitive abilities agree a terrible war is coming, they do not agree on who will save humanity—a psychic soldier or a politician.

But Jackie is both.

After she is pressured into rejoining the Space Force to forestall the impending calamity, Jackie makes an unsettling discovery. Their new enemy, the Salik, seem to be rather familiar with fighting Humans—as if their war against humanity had already begun…"

I also enjoyed Reindeer Games by N.R. Walker which was a short romance with two male leads. (Adult content)

"Industrial-art student Leif Caldwell and his best friend win tickets to the hottest party in town, the annual masquerade Christmas gala at the upmarket nightclub, Evoque. Not a gig they could ever afford to attend or buy costumes for, so Leif makes their masks. Given the holiday theme and the play on words, he makes a set of striking reindeer antlers and intends to have the night of his life.

Vintage Ridge's resident millionaire and owner of Evoque, Russ Quarrington, hates the holiday season because it reminds him of everything he's lost. All the money and success in the world can't fill the void in his heart, and this year he's particularly bereft. With the gala looming, his personal assistant insists Russ attends and that he wear a mask that offers anonymity, and hopefully find some festive cheer. Bored with the guys in town and tired of men only wanting him for his money, he reluctantly agrees.

But when Russ sees a mysterious man with a magnificent reindeer antlers and mask, he's instantly intrigued. Even when their masks are removed, Leif has no idea who Russ really is, and what Russ discovers is a man who understands him. And for the first time ever, a man who doesn't want what Russ has. This time, it's Russ who wants what Leif has, what money can't buy. "

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Pen said:

From what I've read so far, it's pretty pg with only a couple swear words so far and hasn't been very graphic.  Similar to Penny, but not as emotional. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I spoke too soon about not ending the year with a chunky book. I had Robert Jordan's Knife of Dreams on my bookshelf yelling read me, read me for the past month.  I tried to ignore it but failed.  Decided to heck with it, I'm in the mood so why not.  Probably because I keep coming across snippets on tor about the television series.  Today more casting announcements and who will play Thom.    

• Like 3

Everything I am reading seems to have a purpose in terms of challenges.  I finished my Outer Space 10x10........everything needed to take place in outer space except I did allow aliens from outer space to count as it was a classic (Roadside Picnic).  All different series......so I actually read more in the genre.

Outer Space

1.  Murderbot Series by Martha Wells (4 books)

2.  The Expanse by James SA Corey (7 books)

3.  The Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe by Alex White

4.   Medusa Uploaded by Emily Devenport

5.   To Be Taught, If Fortunate by Becky Chambers

6.  Roadside Picnic by Arcady Strugatsky

7.    Linesman by SK Dunstall (3books)

8. Empress of a Thousand Skies by Rhoda Bellieza (2 books)

9.  Polaris Rising by Jesse Mihalik

10.  Stars Uncharted SK Dunstall

• Like 4

I love "whodunit" books. I have approximately 70 different Agatha Christie books (I just counted and alphabetized them in preparation for an upcoming move, but I missed a couple as dh has them), and I can't part with any of them. I re-read them constantly. They are the best "go to sleep" books. With that many titles in the mix, I forget who did it (at least in part) so there isn't enough suspense to keep me wake at night. 

I would be interested in reading more "George Gently" books, though. I read one and enjoyed it. It's hard to find the paper version here.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

I love "whodunit" books. I have approximately 70 different Agatha Christie books (I just counted and alphabetized them in preparation for an upcoming move, but I missed a couple as dh has them), and I can't part with any of them. I re-read them constantly. They are the best "go to sleep" books. With that many titles in the mix, I forget who did it (at least in part) so there isn't enough suspense to keep me wake at night. 

I would be interested in reading more "George Gently" books, though. I read one and enjoyed it. It's hard to find the paper version here.

I have been reading the Agatha Christie’s in publication order and have been enjoying it even though I have read most of them before at least once.  Like you I always have doubts regarding who did it.....am I remembering right?  Many of them I have been able to check out as audio and nest say many of the books that I was meh about are so much better when read by Hugh Frasier!

I think the George Gently I read was on my Kindle.  Pretty good.  Some were made into a tv show too......ITV I believe. 

• Like 4

I stayed up late last night finishing Christmas Hope by Caroline Warfield which I purchased after reading this wonderful review on the Dear Author site. It's a historical romance set during WWI and takes place mostly in France. I recommend it.

"When the Great War is over, will their love be enough?

After two years at the mercy of the Canadian Expeditionary force and the German war machine, Harry ran out of metaphors for death, synonyms for brown, and images of darkness. When he encounters color among the floating islands of Amiens and life in the form a widow and her little son, hope ensnares him. Through three more long years of war and its aftermath, the hope she brings keeps Harry alive.

Rosemarie Legrand’s husband left her a tiny son, no money, and a savaged reputation when he died. She struggles to simply feed the boy and has little to offer a lonely soldier, but Harry’s devotion lifts her up. The war demands all her strength and resilience, will the hope of peace and the promise of Harry’s love keep her going?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kareni said:

Some bookish posts ~

My daughter enjoyed some books by this author.

Obituary: Andrew Clements

How to Recover From Reader’s Block by James Davis Nicoll

15 LAST MINUTE BOOKISH GIFTS FOR THE READER IN YOUR LIFE

Regards,
Kareni

I think Frindle by Andrew Clement’s was a Sonlight book that my family read.  Quite fun I believe.

I am in love with the roadsign poster!❤️  Although I have no idea where Tatoonie is.......OK it’s from Star Wars.  My ds would be so ashamed of my not getting the “easy” one.

3 hours ago, Pen said:

Finished my first Gabriel Allon book.  Really liked it!  Am on hold list for number 2.

Thanks for Introducing me to this @Robin M!

I am glad you liked it.  No bad dreams I hope.  It’s funny as one never quite knows and I think I am getting more sensitive as I age.  I remember thinking my mom was a wimp!😉 I just read part of Fragile by Lisa Unger in the middle of the night and I had a terrible dream after.....the book had horrible things happen in it but not overly descriptive.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34766206-fragile  Btw,  U for A to Z author!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

I think Frindle by Andrew Clement’s was a Sonlight book that my family read.  Quite fun I believe.

I am in love with the roadsign poster!❤️  Although I have no idea where Tatoonie is.......OK it’s from Star Wars.  My ds would be so ashamed of my not getting the “easy” one.

I am glad you liked it.  No bad dreams I hope.  It’s funny as one never quite knows and I think I am getting more sensitive as I age.  I remember thinking my mom was a wimp!😉 I just read part of Fragile by Lisa Unger in the middle of the night and I had a terrible dream after.....the book had horrible things happen in it but not overly descriptive.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34766206-fragile  Btw,  U for A to Z author!

No - I think the Amazon review (right at top when I looked) was unfair.  

No bad dreams from it.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mumto2 said:

If it's any consolation, I didn't know it either! But, yes, it is a lovely poster.

The creator also has Customizable (you print) storybook sign

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

If it's any consolation, I didn't know it either! But, yes, it is a lovely poster.

The creator also has Customizable (you print) storybook sign

Regards,

Kareni

There is a classic one where I know everything!

Whoville was mentioned.......Totally off track but did you (as in anyone reading this not just Kareni) that there were more Grinch cartoons than The Grinch Who Stole Christmas?  We bought a new dvd to replace the ancient VHS and watched while setting up the tree.  We couldn’t figure out how the Grinch was going to be 80 minutes long.......https://www.animationmagazine.net/home-entertainment/grinch-trio-gets-ultimate-edition-release-in-october/

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Kareni said:

I stayed up late last night finishing Christmas Hope by Caroline Warfield which I purchased after reading this wonderful review on the Dear Author site. It's a historical romance set during WWI and takes place mostly in France. I recommend it. 

Kareni, I believe that it was you who recommended "A Christmas Memory" by Truman Capote on the Christmas books thread. I can't find that thread. This book has been on my wish list for a while. Quick question: is it illustrated? If so, I should probably get a hard copy. I need to know if I can get a Kindle version or if I should get the hard copy. Thank you!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Negin said:

Kareni, I believe that it was you who recommended "A Christmas Memory" by Truman Capote on the Christmas books thread. I can't find that thread. This book has been on my wish list for a while. Quick question: is it illustrated? If so, I should probably get a hard copy. I need to know if I can get a Kindle version or if I should get the hard copy. Thank you!

Ah, it wasn't me, but I hope you'll get some  good advice.

I see that Stacia mentioned the book in this thread ~ Favorite Christmas Books,

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

I finished spelling Phryne Fisher........

P.......Polaris Rising by Jesse Mihalik

H......The So Blue Marble by Dorothy Hughes

R.......The Bird Tribunal by Agnes Ravatin

Y........Meant to be Yours by Susan Mallery

N.......Mind Games by Nancy Mehl

E........Murder Cuts the Mustard by Jessica Ellicott

F.........Raven Cursed by Faith Hunter

I..........The Quiet Game by Greg Ises

S.........To Wed a Wild Scot by Anna Bradley

H........Handle with Care by Helena Hunting

E.........Empress of a Thousand Skies by Rhoda Belleza

R.........Remedial Rocket Science by Susannah Nix

My Alternate Worlds 10 by 10 is also done.....some are series and rereads where I read more than 1 this year.  I ended up with more than 10 but I didn’t bother to remove any before posting.

1.  The Books of Babel by Josiah Bancroft (3 books)

2.  Dread Nation by Justina Ireland

3.  The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott (2 books)

4.  Zero Sum Game by SL Huang

5.  The Others by Anne Bishop (7books)

6.  Of Blood and Bone by Nora Roberts

7.   Innkeeper Chronicles by Ilona Andrews (4 books)

8.   Mercy Thompson’s World by Patricia Briggs (6 books)

9.   The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle

10.  Hidden Legacy by Ilona Andrews (4 books)

11. The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison

12.  The Last Policeman by Ben Winters

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Negin (I think?) are you still wondering about a Christmas Memory?

afaik it’s not particularly an illustrated book— though you may find illustrated versions

I have experienced it as a audio narrated story (on radio) I think possibly by Truman Capote himself, or maybe Jonathan Winters (?)      I highly recommend it in the audio narrated version. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Pen said:

@Negin (I think?) are you still wondering about a Christmas Memory?

afaik it’s not particularly an illustrated book— though you may find illustrated versions

I have experienced it as a audio narrated story (on radio) I think possibly by Truman Capote himself, or maybe Jonathan Winters (?)      I highly recommend it in the audio narrated version. 

Thank you so much. This is so helpful. 

• Like 3