Menu

Parking method question- Albany, NY

Rachel

B5787740-0C31-4EEF-8A5D-D7A48777159D.thumb.jpeg.08a0740b807e81b6486709e02fd7429a.jpegCan someone explain how this parking lot works? It’s across from my husband’s hotel in Albany, NY. He says individuals are parking there, not valet attendants. How do you get your car out at the end of the day? Do you park by time you are planning to leave? Does an attendant have everyone’s keys if you have an emergency? It looks like everyone is blocking everyone else in, except in a very small handful of places. 

• Confused 2

I have only seen lots with attendants parked like that.

A couple of years ago we went to Philly for the day.  The lot we found, the cars were so close together, every one had to get out before dh parked and he had to climb out the trunk.  I was worried the whole day because I could not see how we would have enough room to back out of the spot when we got back.  Dh wasn’t worried about and managed to get out.  I was a nervous wreck.  I would not have been able to it by myself.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rachel said:

I’ve never seen parking like that except on a ferry

Yes, or at rental car returns - but the fence here makes that not an option. We are assuming that you pay more for "no block-in" spots! Is everyone getting on a train? Maybe that slot is for the 5:43 return train. But then what if someone suddenly has to work late?

• Like 1

In public parking situations where I have done this an attendant tells you which row to park in and on the way out you drop off your keys. 

When I lived in a city and paid $$$ to have a parking space we were triple parked. I had to coordinate with the other people to get my car out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SusanC said:

Yes, or at rental car returns - but the fence here makes that not an option. We are assuming that you pay more for "no block-in" spots! Is everyone getting on a train? Maybe that slot is for the 5:43 return train. But then what if someone suddenly has to work late?

I zoomed in to see if the fence was removable, but it doesn’t seem to be. One of the no block spots appears to be handicapped parking. 

My guess was everyone takes a train or some sort of public transportation. I feel like you would really have to trust the other people in your row. I find it a pain when my husband parks behind me in the driveway and I have his keys and know his schedule pretty well.  

1 hour ago, happi duck said:

I am so curious!

I think your dh needs to walk over and ask how it works or maybe set up a camera! 😊

I agree! He got in late last night and is coming home today so I don’t know if he will have a chance to go ask. 

I was hoping someone on here was either from Albany or was familiar with the area who might know how it works. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caraway said:

In public parking situations where I have done this an attendant tells you which row to park in and on the way out you drop off your keys. 

When I lived in a city and paid $$$ to have a parking space we were triple parked. I had to coordinate with the other people to get my car out. 

So if an emergency occurs, the attendant has permission to move other vehicles? Or do you just find another mode of transportation?

I can see that more cars can park in the same sizes lot when you park like this, it just seems complicated to work out leaving.