Menu

Anyone go gluten free with teens?

bethben

I am considering going gluten free for my whole family.  I have four kids 12 and older.  Three boys and a very hungry little girl.  I am noticing some signs of gluten intolerance in my 15 year old in particular (he has the tell tale bumps on the back of his arm and he has mild aspergers-diagnosed).  How do I do this without breaking the bank?  I can bake no problem gluten free and change to gluten free pasta when needed, but my 15 year old tends to eat the same thing every day for lunch( (gotta stick to the routine!).  It's basically a ham and cheese sandwich on a homemade bun (better for you, but not "great").  How does one do this and even fill everyone up?!?!

I tried with my 17 year old son who was having a lot of gut pain. We both went gluten- and dairy-free together. He absolutely hated gluten-free and chose pain over that dietary restriction.  I was fine with that.  I benefit from gluten free, but I won't force it on anyone. He isn't celiac, so it's not like the gluten is hurting him. 

I don't find gluten free expensive. I just don't go in for the pre-packaged stuff. I shop in the international foods aisle, and use coconut flour and stuff. I have nut allergies so I can't use any nut milk, butter or flour. Indian/asian food has a ton of gluten free food choices that are very inexpensive. Especially if you can tolerate the chance of cross-contamination.

I’m gluten free and don’t buy any of the gluten free products.  I don’t even eat gf baked goods because I also have an egg intolerance (I thought maybe I was over it, ate some eggs and it wasn’t pretty).  I can easily work around gluten for myself but I don’t eat as much either and am content with vegetables or a smoothie.  It’s the high food demands of teenage boys.  

Also, the bumps in arms thing—I’ve heard gluten sensitivities keep some people from absorbing the good oils which can cause the bumps.  All I know is that I had those bumps on my arms my whole life.  When I gave up gluten they disappeared.

Interesting.  Thanks.   

Cooking GF in large quantities for ravenous boys.... Here are some meal ideas:

Breakfast:  Leftovers, including veggies.  Eggs - scrambled, boiled, fried, omelette, etc. Hot rice w/cinnamon, sweetener, and milk.  Yogurt.  GF toast w/nut butter and fresh fruit.  GF waffles (nut butter, egg, and banana OR made with GF flour).  GF muffins.  GF cereal and milk. 

Lunch and supper:  Homemade chili, soup, or stew - can serve with corn tortilla chips instead of crackers. Rice and beans with various spices.  Asian stir fry with GF soy sauce (or just use spices and salt) and rice. Quesadillas, burritos, tacos, fajitas, enchiladas, etc. using corn tortillas.  Taco salad using corn tortilla chips. GF spaghetti.  Sandwiches with GF bread and fresh veggies.  GF pizza or pizza bread.  Meat/starch/veggie meals:  chicken, fish, beef + potatoes, rice, corn, quinoa + green beans, broccoli, carrots, peas, mixed veggies.  

snacks: nuts and seeds, fresh veggies, fresh or dried fruit, popcorn, smoothies, bean dip with corn tortilla chips or veggies

Remember that fats make everything more filling and satisfying, so cooking with oil or adding it to foods that otherwise have no fats can make a huge difference. If your boys love spices, use them liberally.   

Edited by klmama
  • Like 1

Here is a table from somebody (whitehawk?):

Bean Starch Veg Leaf Flavor Bonus
French French lentils small potatoes (boiled) or side of gf bread sauteed celery, carrots, onion; or green beans and tomatoes spinach garlic, thyme; lemon OR red wine vinegar + Dijon; salt and pepper endive, shallot, sliced almonds or walnuts, red cabbage, rice paper bacon, or hard-boiled egg
Indian red lentils or yellow split peas brown rice or gf naan eggplant, carrots, green beans, and/or tomatoes cabbage, or use cauliflower instead onion, curry powder cashew cream; rice pudding and/or mango
Italian cannellini gf pasta (including spiralized zucchini), eggplant, polenta, or risotto tomatoes; Brussels sprouts kale or chard garlic, olive, oregano, salt and pepper roasted red pepper
Japanese edamame rice/ rice noodles and/or purple sweet potato sauteed mushroom, broccoli and zucchini Chinese cabbage or spinach tamari or coconut aminos, ginger, sesame spiralized carrot; peanuts and/or a fried egg; tea to drink
Mexican black corn cucumber and tomato, red onion Bibb or Romaine guacamole, salsa, gf taco spices roasted pineapple or sauteed banana
autumn red kidney beans, navy beans, or chickpeas sweet potato or butternut squash broccoli lettuce, kale, or spinach onion, salt and pepper sliced grapes, apples, and/or nuts
spring French lentils stuffed mushrooms peas Bibb or spinach lemon, thyme pine nuts, peaches
summer chickpeas gf wrap or roll, or use large lettuce leaves corn, cucumber, tomato, zucchini, and/or green beans spinach or whatever looks good salt berries, melon chunks
winter red kidney beans, navy beans, or chickpeas potatoes or quinoa carrots, turnip, parsnip   orange, dash of cinnamon, maple fresh or dried cranberries, or pomegranate seeds, or tangerine sections; pecans or walnuts
Edited by Carolina Wren
  • Like 1