Menu

My follow up with heart doc

Scarlett

I wore a monitor for 30 days......so I go in today and he says, ‘so, you have AFib’.  Which of course we already knew....but he has a quirky endearing personality.  I really like him. We tried a drug for AFib but my blood pressure plummeted and I had to stop it after a week.  So now next line of treatment is a a drug, the only one, that doesn’t lower bp but requires a 3 day hospital stay for the initial infusion...  I told him I am not ready for that. That my day to day life is not really affected but I worry I will drop dead of a heart attack. He says, ‘well you won’t drop dead of heart attack,,.,massive stroke perhaps.’  Then, ‘ I kid! Seriously you have almost zero stroke risk.’ And we talked about that for a bit....they are even about to take ‘being female ‘ off the risk list.  

So more watch and wait.  

• Like 7

Do you know what drug it is, Scarlett? I’m sure I’m not familiar with it, but it seems like no matter what it is, someone on this forum always has experience and knowledge to share. 

I know you don’t want to try the drug right now, but it might be worth getting information and opinions about it so you will be prepared in case you ever really need it.

Thanks for updating us!

13 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Do you know what drug it is, Scarlett? I’m sure I’m not familiar with it, but it seems like no matter what it is, someone on this forum always has experience and knowledge to share. 

I know you don’t want to try the drug right now, but it might be worth getting information and opinions about it so you will be prepared in case you ever really need it.

Thanks for updating us!

My friend who works in the medical field asked me too and I can’t remember.  I can probably figure it out if I google it.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

My friend who works in the medical field asked me too and I can’t remember.  I can probably figure it out if I google it.  

So many medicines have weird names, and if I don’t write them down immediately when the doctor mentions them, it’s so hard to remember them afterward!

5 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

So many medicines have weird names, and if I don’t write them down immediately when the doctor mentions them, it’s so hard to remember them afterward!

Right me too.  Since we decided against the drug I didn’t think to remember it.  But check out the ps new gadget ......I do a EKG on myself any time. 

428DDDDE-197F-4633-AA38-A3EAB7797243.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

And/or Apple watches 4 and 5 have the capability to do an EKG too.  

My ds has one of those — I will have to ask him how the EKG feature works. I didn’t even know it had anything like that. 

I pay for stuff and my ds figures out how it works. Seems fair to me! 😉

DH got me an Apple Watch for the ECG feature and heat rate monitor....it’s super simple, the built in Apple Watch APP on my phone, saves all ECGs automatically and categorizes them (inconclusive, AFib, low/high rates) and my cardiologist actually looked at my inconclusive ones.  Literally took my phone and scrolled thru them.  So cool!

I don’t have an AFib issue- my prob is tachycardia due to POTS and the Apple Watch is support helpful for tracking my heart rate even though I’m pretty accurate at guessing bases on how I feel LOL

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, LarlaB said:

DH got me an Apple Watch for the ECG feature and heat rate monitor....it’s super simple, the built in Apple Watch APP on my phone, saves all ECGs automatically and categorizes them (inconclusive, AFib, low/high rates) and my cardiologist actually looked at my inconclusive ones.  Literally took my phone and scrolled thru them.  So cool!

I don’t have an AFib issue- my prob is tachycardia due to POTS and the Apple Watch is support helpful for tracking my heart rate even though I’m pretty accurate at guessing bases on how I feel LOL

Ok, so if you have the apple watch you don't have to buy an app in addition?

My doctor said they are going to start charging people to send in the readings.  I could see how that would get super overwhelming if everyone sent in readings constantly.  But when he left the room his nurse told me if I had one I was concerned about to send it to her and she would show it to him.  😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LarlaB said:

No the free Apple Watch and health apps do a lot!!!  But honestly the watch is $400-$500 so a $3 app is nothing 😜

There is a $2.99 Cardiogram app that is pretty helpful for me- but not necessary. 

Ok, I think I am remembering that the Kardio Mobile pictured above is about $100 to buy and not sure about the app cost.  I thought he said $100 app, but I could be wrong.  

I am looking at the Apple watches and I am not sure I understand.....is a line required ?  Would the cost (besides the $500 for the watch) be like adding another phone line to our plan?

48 minutes ago, scrapbookbuzz said:

The drug you were originally taking for Afib. Were you taking it twice a day? Would it be possibly to cut it down to once a day? I had to do that when they put me on 
a beta-blocker. Another type of heart drug that can negatively affect BP. When I went to once/day, it worked out much better.

Yes it was twice a day. I think my heart doc won’t let me take it at all. My blood pressure runs low anyway . 

Edited by Scarlett

I have an apple watch 5 for the fall alerts and the HR monitoring.  The EKG comes with the watch.  It's just another app.  It reads in a fashion similar to the device you linked.  You can get the watch without cellular and just pair it with an iPhone (then it only works when you have your phone with you) or you can get it with cellular service. Mine costs $10 because it shares the same phone number as the iPhone it's synced with, but that way it functions without the phone.  Here is more about it and the device you mentioned..

Edited by melmichigan
  • Thanks 1

I was on a heart monitor for two weeks and just got that mailed off one week ago. I'm still waiting to hear back on the results from that. I do know that I was having a premature heartbeat. When I had my cardiology appt three weeks ago, every 4th beat was coming early. It was nice to know that there was a reason for the oddness that I had felt. I had no idea that the monitor was causing me a lot of anxiety until I took it off at the end of two weeks.

Have you been sent for a CT calcium scan? It looks at the amount of placque in the arteries of your heart. I had one a little over one week ago and just got the results back. I was relieved that I came back as minimal risk of heart attack since my family history is horrible.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 8:40 PM, Scarlett said:

Right me too.  Since we decided against the drug I didn’t think to remember it.  But check out the ps new gadget ......I do a EKG on myself any time. 

That looks so cool.  It's so crazy that only a few years ago things like this were impossible!  Now you can DIY an EKG at home.  Amazing!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AngieW in Texas said:

I was on a heart monitor for two weeks and just got that mailed off one week ago. I'm still waiting to hear back on the results from that. I do know that I was having a premature heartbeat. When I had my cardiology appt three weeks ago, every 4th beat was coming early. It was nice to know that there was a reason for the oddness that I had felt. I had no idea that the monitor was causing me a lot of anxiety until I took it off at the end of two weeks.

Have you been sent for a CT calcium scan? It looks at the amount of placque in the arteries of your heart. I had one a little over one week ago and just got the results back. I was relieved that I came back as minimal risk of heart attack since my family history is horrible.

No I haven’t.  I will keep that in mind.