Menu

Rowing Machine Recommendations?

maize

I know you asked about rowers but have you thought about a recumbent bike, a Nordic track skier or even an elliptical? I use to do a rower but had to give it up when the joints in my elbows started bothering me. Hope you fine something that works for you🌺

• Like 1

I have a Concept2 Model D rowing machine. I saved up for it for nearly a year, as it is quite expensive. But, it is considered the gold standard of rowing machines, and used in gyms and schools all over. My right knee decided I am no longer a runner, and I haven’t had any issues with the rowing machine. I use it a lot and absolutely love it. 

There is definitely a learning curve to having the proper form, but there are tons of YouTube videos and online forums with people very willing to help. If you have proper form, there is very little negative impact to your joints. 

• Like 5

I have an old Health Rider, the original one that functions like a rowing machine.

I love it.  It has very smooth action, and it kind of opens my limbs up in addition to a decent aerobic workout.  Bonus--you can often find them inexpensively, in the used market.  

If you search on 'Original Health Rider' on ebay, you will see several of these.

The only drawback to them is that you can't read while you're riding--it's absolutely impossible.  I usually tee up a video on Amazon Prime and watch it on my laptop while I'm riding, or I would be bored out of my mind and quit early.

• Like 2

I've mostly used the Concept 2 machines - that's what all the rowing clubs I know have.  I use the water rowers at Orange Theory,  but I personally much prefer the Concept 2.

I unfortunately have no space in my home for my own rowing machine!   The Concept 2 types can be stored vertically to save a lot of space, but you need more space when you're using it.

• Like 1

I have this rower: https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/stamina-air-rowing-machine-17smpustmnrrwngmcmsc/17smpustmnrrwngmcmsc

(I bought it for myself last Christmas. It was on sale and then they had a coupon, which I was able to stack with the sale, that included free shipping.)

It's not the best/fanciest, but it gets the job done and it folds in half for storage. The one thing that I don't like is that the monitor is not really helpful. It's kinda junky. If you're just going to row for time, without worrying about speed or splits or other stuff like that, it works fine.

Edited by Noreen Claire
  • Like 1