Menu

Scotland Itinerary...In November?

madteaparty

10 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Firstly, remember that the days will be short. Check online for daylight hours. What do you and your kids like to do?

This is a good tip. I have to wake my daughter for school before dawn here and that’s...730am! It’s been an adjustment.

We like all the things 😉 they’re easygoing and go along with what I plan (I’ve dragged them to temples and museums around the world, they’ve a high tolerance 😉  In other words I want to be sure to do all the cultural/historical stuff I can fit in. DH is with us for this trip and really into history. 

Edited by madteaparty

8 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

You know, I am no expert at all on Scotland--we went there for the first time ever this summer--but the latitude is about the same as where I live, and if I were to give advice to someone traveling here in November, and then adjust it for Scotland, I would say:

Plan for short daylight hours. Think about going to Edinburgh and doing a lot of the cultural activities, and taking trains or other to see the countryside on your way to Melrose Abbey or sites like that.  Also, there are more evening things to do in a city than in the country, so a double benefit to a city stay.  And the biggest piece of advice that I still benefit from is to bring the right clothing.  Rain everything.  Rain pants.  Rain coat.  Rain hat.  Waterproof/resistant shoes.  Changes of socks for mid-day if that is necessary. Layers.  When we were out hiking all day, we would stop and add/subtract the layers we needed and no one *who had proper clothing* was left out.  

When we went to Scotland this summer, it was rainy a LOT and we had the right clothes and the rain didn't bother us in the slightest.  That gave me a big boost to keep up my walking at home; now that the rains have showed up again here, whereas I used to look outside and say, "Pooh.  No walk today," now I just add on the rain pants and GO.  

Ooh, this is good info. I’ve no rain pants for anyone but DH has a trip to the US and back before November so that goes on the buy and pack list.

I would base myself in Edinburgh and do something outside of the City most days.  Probably rent  a car because daylight is going to be precious.  Stirling and St. Andrews will make good day trips.

I don’t know the nature preserves in the area but believe there is a place with seals near Edinburgh and the grey seals have their babies in November and December.  We love to go to a beach in Lincolnshire to see them.  It is incredible........if there is something like that you need to go.

My husband really likes the Battle of Bannockburn site https://www.nts.org.uk/visit/places/bannockburn.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FriedClams said:

DO NOT go to the UNESCO world heritage site at New Lanark. Do not be enticed. 😂 Do not. It ranks as the worst side trip we've ever done on any trip - though it was so memorable we laugh about it years later. 

The Castle, The Elephant House, etc were great. 

Consider yourself warned. LOL!!

Clearly this is a story we need to know. 

So we can confirm worst side trip ever,

• Like 1

If you don't feel like driving, or even just to look at itineraries to get some ideas, I recommend Rabbie's Tours. They leave from Edinburgh and are really good.

My husband and I visited Edinburgh a few years ago and took two of their tours. We love history and nature, and we enjoyed the Loch Lomond and castles tours. Our guide was fantastic, and we got to see amazing things. What I like is that the tour coach is small - it can only handle fewer than 20 people, and because of that the company can take you places that regular sized buses simply can't fit - smaller roads, old local pubs for lunch, etc. Our guide sat with us for one of the meals (you choose, order, and pay for what you want), and it was great to chat with him. We only did the day tours, and I don't know what their overnight tours are like. We went in early March, and yea, rain gear is a must, but don't let the weather deter you from doing things.

I don't know the ages of your children, but I think they only take kids aged 5 and over, that's the only thing to really know. Oh, and they leave promptly on time, so you need to be there about 15-20 minutes early.

ETA

As I was writing this post, I was flooded with great memories. One of the most fun ones was making an acquaintance with Hamish, the Hairy Coo on our tour. We stopped ... somewhere..I can't remember exactly... on the way from Stirling Castle. It was clearly a touristy spot, but it was fun and understated. Here's a link to a blog post (not mine, don't know the author) with some pictures if you are not familiar with these animals.

Edited by RosemaryAndThyme