Menu

Minimalist Catholic Bookshelf

LauraBeth475

Moving has made me realize my books have utterly taken over my household.  I’m going to have to clean out, and to start being more careful to only purchase things that will really be valued.  

So for the Catholic homeschoolers, if you were going to limit your and your children’s religious books to just a couple shelves of a bookcase, what would your essentials be?

(I lean towards more traditional devotions like the Latin Mass personally, and away from anything that mixes in too much contemporary politics)

Edited by LauraBeth475

True Devotion to Mary, by St. Louis de Montfort

The Imitation of Christ

The Interior Castle

I keep Mass booklets on the shelves too so they can open and read. If you do Latin Mass, I find this helpful especially since it gives them more opportunity to figure out the translation. But even for Novus Ordo books it's a good help

Things I do not have but have been meaning to get for myself then pass along: Diary of St. Maria Faustina Kowalska (Divine Mercy in My Soul). Life of Christ by Fulton Sheen. The Way of Perfection, by St Teresa of Avila. 

• Like 2

It's funny you bring this up because I'm having a similar conundrum about my Orthodox books.  I've whittled down so many other books mainly because they're easily loaned from the library or re-purchased for pennies.  But many religious books aren't so easily available.    Our house is very cramped and I'd really like to get rid of another tall bookshelf. 

Hope you find a good balance and are happy with the results. 

• Like 1