Menu

Calculus BC options?

Is there anything outside of AOPS and PAH? This is the first time I can say AOPS is just not working. Terrible teaching plus one proof is over 60% of the grade. They must have hired new graders too. It just seems like a completely difference place.

PAH is out of question because there is no live component. Please tell me there is something else out there. 

4 minutes ago, retepxela said:

Blue Tent (2 live classes per week).

❤️ Live session changes everything!

I didn’t realize they had the course! Now I need to persuade my kid to let go what’s broken.

We have a Monday conflict with this class. 😞

I hope there is something else. 

Edited by Roadrunner

39 minutes ago, alewife said:

@roadrunner. Would pre-recorded work or does it need to have a life component?

He needs a live class. What he always loved about AOPS is how interactive it has been usually. For the duration of 1.5 hour class he is solving problems actively. He thrives on interaction. This class is mostly teacher posting with much fewer opportunities for posting and the teacher stalls while waiting instead of taking that time as an opportunity to do some quicker problems (as apparently others have? If I understand my kid correctly). He will absolutely not do well with PAH canned approach. 

I have looked at Wilson Hill, but for some reason everybody offers Calculus AB, but not BC. 

And CC class with a good teacher is full. Sigh.

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, calbear said:

The instructor for Blue Tent's live class is local to me in SD. She has a really good reputation here and has also taught at the local AOPS Academy. 

I am so impressed by her bio and I hope she tutors. We have a conflict with Monday class though. Otherwise we would have jumped at that opportunity. 

Edited by Roadrunner

4 hours ago, daijobu said:

I thought the AoPS classes stuck to a standard "script" during lecture that didn't change from section to section?  

That is what I thought as well, but this is the first time (and we have had an extensive experience with them) that the class pace is so very different. So maybe they are doing same problems, but usually questions are small leading and building to another one. This time sometimes there are a page or more of just the teacher posting. Opportunities to answer questions and get on the board are few and kids are resorting to asking questions just so they can get participation score blue (well my kid is musing this is the reason some silly questions are appearing). And the stalling time between the questions is making the experience something unlike anything we ever had there. He is so extremely frustrated. I thought at first maybe Calculus was a different fruit, but no, it’s a teacher. His substitute lead class was just as lively as others. 

And we we realize that Sept. class time is also another conflict, so we are stuck. We won’t ask for a change. He is just going to have to deal with it and count himself lucky that this is the first bad experience. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/25/2019 at 8:48 PM, Roadrunner said:

Freshman or sophomore. We haven’t decided yet 🙂 

Here's an idea I'm just going to throw out.  Could he do something else for math this year instead?  I'm thinking intermediate number theory or intermediate C&P?  They are both fun and useful classes.  Then maybe he'll have another year of maturity under his belt and could manage some more self-study or have room in his schedule for this Blue Tent class?   Calculus really shouldn't be that hard for an AoPS kid.  

• Like 2

On 7/25/2019 at 4:26 PM, Roadrunner said:

❤️ Live session changes everything!

I didn’t realize they had the course! Now I need to persuade my kid to let go what’s broken.

We have a Monday conflict with this class. 😞

I hope there is something else. 

A suggestion: consider sending Shin Yen a note and talking to her about her Calc BC class plans.

I collaborated with the Blue Tent math instructors as they were designing each of their math classes, and I know that they have in mind that the first live class meeting each week will be focused on teacher instruction (with the opportunity for questions--but primarily to teach). The second live class each week is designed to be quite active--with students working through questions and problem sets the entire time. You might want to talk with Shin to see if the class might be a better fit than you might initially think, even if the first weekly class is watched after it is recorded. We expect that some students will prefer to watch the recorded instruction so that they can zip through anything they feel solid about--and save time on instruction they don't feel they need.

Best, ~Brigid ☀️

Edited by Brigid in NC
  • Like 2