Menu

How many subject tests? "recommended"

Janeway

Son only has one subject test. He took the Latin one, and he got a 760. He only has one school on his list that "recommends" subject tests. Back when they required subject tests, they required two. This is my son with ASD. He just completely fell in love with the school that he needs the subject tests for.  I figured "recommended" when a school is very competitive, it really means one must do subject tests unless they have some other great hook.  Does he need another subject test?

2-3 Subject tests more than meets "recommended" expectations. It is usually best to do 2 completely different subjects, and if doing fewer Subject tests, to do them in core academic areas (esp. 1 Math and 1 Science). If doing one of the History or the Lit. Subject tests, it is also a good idea to show broad competency with a Science or Math Subject test.

One exception might be if the student plans on a STEM field -- then 1 Math and 2 Science Subject tests could be very useful.

Another exception might be if the student has taken a lot of Foreign Language credits and wants to minor or major in that language -- then the Subject test in that language would be good "proof" of the student's proficiency level (although, the student will still need to take the foreign language placement test at the college if wanting to place beyond intro level).

Edited by Lori D.

Could you ask the school what they want? That might be simplest. 

760 on Latin is great! If the school really does want another one, maybe the Literature test? (This is your philosophy/classics child, correct? I imagine he's a talented reader!) Or is there another subject he could prep for reasonably efficiently (i.e. he did the course recently and it's an area of strength)? I'm sure you already know this, but some of the subject tests are not offered at every sitting (World History, for example), so the schedule would need to be pondered, too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Emerald Stoker said:

Could you ask the school what they want? That might be simplest. 

760 on Latin is great! If the school really does want another one, maybe the Literature test? (This is your philosophy/classics child, correct? I imagine he's a talented reader!) Or is there another subject he could prep for reasonably efficiently (i.e. he did the course recently and it's an area of strength)? I'm sure you already know this, but some of the subject tests are not offered at every sitting (World History, for example), so the schedule would need to be pondered, too.

Yes..he said he would go with the Literature test if he had to take another. But, he is taking the SAT in August so the subject test would have to wait until September. And he has a heavy load at school so I was not feeling the best about him taking on a test then too.

Is the college one of the ones that require you to submit all standardized test attempts? If not, maybe he could just roll the dice and take the Lit test in September without a ton of prep, and if it goes well, send the score, and if not, don't. 

There's only one official practice exam available, if I recall correctly (I think we also used a few of the multiple-choice sections from old AP Lit exams, too, for some more practice with those kinds of questions--those are harder, but they give you a feel for the way College Board asks questions about literature). He should make sure to have good knowledge of literary terms (personification, simile, alliteration, etc.); other than that, success on that test relies on having read a lot of good literature and having some sense of what kinds of things are worthy of discussion in the context of a given text--I think it's a test that students find either really easy or really hard. If he's been a keen reader for years, then he's way ahead of the game and there's not a lot more that can be usefully done in terms of prep (beyond trying out some sample questions and knowing the literary terminology). So maybe it won't be as time-consuming to squeeze it in as another test might be.

I think there are six or seven passages on each test. There's a mix of poetry and prose, I know, and it is my impression that there is normally at least one passage in older English. Maybe that could be something else to practise? Have him read a few Shakespeare sonnets or soliloquies from one of the plays, just to get used to the feel of the language?

ETA: Just thought I'd mention that maybe he'll even find it fun! The Kid came out of the test happily bubbling about the interesting passages, wanting to read the books from which they'd been excerpted! So maybe it will be an enjoyable experience!

Edited by Emerald Stoker
  • Like 3

You could check a prep book out of the library over the summer and do one practice exam before signing up.  You might be really surprised at the results.  I checked a number of different subjects prep books out the year prior to sitting for the exams and Dd did one out of each book casually........actually on a long boring car trip😂 so we knew which exams to plan on in terms of her knowledge already.  Literature was one of the best practices. 

We did the Literature SAT with minimum preparation.  I had the review book but Dd sandwiched it between two languages on exam day so only did one practice for timing and called it good.  I believe she read through the recommended list of terms at some point.  She had fun on the exam in terms of it was a good low stress palette cleanser than let her clear Latin from the brain before doing the German exam.

I would sign him up and let him walk in with minimum prep as long as he is comfortable......he did great on Latin so the format and timing appears to work for your son.  Back when we were preparing my searches here indicated this is the SAT subject that dc’s tend to just show up for, add on to others etc.  

• Like 2

FWIW.... I think the recommended level is enough. It seems like the colleges that want subject tests are very competitive (MIT was the only school DD was looking at that wanted them). They're also schools that look at candidates holistically because they have huge pools of extremely qualified kids. The subject tests are one piece of the puzzle and adding a lot more to that piece is likely not time well spent. I'd use the time for exploring passion areas, legit volunteer work, a job, etc. Juniors and seniors have TIGHT schedules so prepping, testing, etc can be a drain. Spending time doing what thrills the student - I think that will be more interesting to read about as an admission reviewer than more standardized tests. Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 10:48 AM, Janeway said:

Son only has one subject test. He took the Latin one, and he got a 760. He only has one school on his list that "recommends" subject tests. Back when they required subject tests, they required two. This is my son with ASD. He just completely fell in love with the school that he needs the subject tests for.  I figured "recommended" when a school is very competitive, it really means one must do subject tests unless they have some other great hook.  Does he need another subject test?

You'd possibly get more informed responses if you identified the school.  And the college admissions offices may give you good insight too.

In general, I think most students should read "recommended" as exactly that.  It is recommended that students submit XYZ.  The school won't consider an application without that item as incomplete, but the student may place themselves at an admissions disadvantage by not submitting it.

I think the more competitive the admissions, the more "recommended" should be given careful consideration before passing on that item.  I think that Subject Test scores also go a long way towards giving admissions a sense of comfort in saying yes to a homeschooled applicant (as do other pieces of information like SAT/ACT scores, AP results, dual credit/dual enrollment, recommendations, and other outside sources of evaluation). 

I think another subject test in an area of high interest or in an area where you don't already have a data point from an outside source could be useful.  If he's "in love" with this school and you think it's a good fit (including financially) then I would encourage him to sit for the subject test.

• Like 1

I don't think any of the schools my kids applied to made a fuss about subject tests in the end. A solid SAT or ACT score gave them all the info they wanted. I think providing a clear transcript and course descriptions (with assigned major works/texts listed) went much further in helping them gain admission and scholarships.

However, be sure to time when you take subject tests carefully and research this up front. The tests are given the same day as the SAT, you are limited in the number you can take on one date, and for some subjects limited to specific dates.

I think the most challenging request I saw as we look at colleges was from Washington and Lee who wanted 5 subject tests in specific areas.

2 hours ago, JumpedIntoTheDeepEndFirst said:

I think the most challenging request I saw as we look at colleges was from Washington and Lee who wanted 5 subject tests in specific areas.

Five subject tests seemed high to me, so I checked their website:

All U.S. citizens applying for admission to W&L are required to submit the results of either the SAT (W&L's code is 5887) or the ACT (W&L's code is 4430). Although we do not put undue weight on test scores, they are an important tool that helps us distinguish between similarly qualified applicants. We realize they reflect your performance on one Saturday morning, and we want to give you every benefit of the doubt. Here's the good news:

• Writing scores are not required on either exam
  • We will accept either version of the SAT
  • We "super score" both the SAT and ACT (though we will not do so for results from different generations of SAT). This means we will combine your best section scores from multiple tests to produce your highest SAT or ACT score.
  • SAT Subject Tests are not required for admission to W&L.

Is this requirement just for homeschoolers?

It looks like the Subject Test requirement is just for homeschoolers: (Although, it looks like you can have a mix of SAT Subject Tests and AP exams)

Washington and Lee University is pleased to consider applications from home-schooled students. Given the unique nature of each student's curriculum, we suggest including the following, in addition to the material for all of our first-year applicants, to ensure an accurate and fair review of your application:

• Results from five SAT Subject Tests or AP Tests
Edited by alewife