Menu

What color would you piant this room

My teens are going to pitch in to buy paint and redo my bedroom after the holidays. The carpet is royal blue, which we can't afford to change, so what color would you paint the walls?

Thanks!

Can you give us a little more information such as how much natural light the room gets (morning or afternoon or all day) and whether you're more partial to warm tones or cool tones?

Some shade of light blue? I'd pick up some strips and set them down on the carpet and see which looks best. If choosing between two I'm usually happier with the lighter one once it's on the walls. I also like to check out the Pottery Barn colors to see if any of those work since I know they are the colors currently in style.

I'm loving the "Muslin" i painted the living room yesterday. It's a Ralph Lauren paint color from Home Depot - but i had it mixed as a Kilz color from Wal Mart ($22.50/gallon) and it was a perfect match and covered in one coat. She didn't even have to scan it - just typed it on the computer and mixed it from the formula on the screen! The label says it's a RL color and everything :D

My room doesn't get a ton of light, and it's just enough on the wall to be more than "builder beige" and seems to reflect light well.

Depends on what you're going for. If you love the cool colors, look at light blues or greens.

I personally like my bedroom very warm and cozy and, with royal blue carpet, would probably look at a nice warm beige or tan, maybe even a deeper brown, especially if you feel like you need to tone back the carpet a bit. I love the brown and blue pallets that are making a comeback from the 50s again.

But don't be afraid! Paint is one of the easiest and least expensive changes you can make to a room.

Guest janainaz

I don't have a specific color name, but I would definitely warm up the room from the blue carpet with a warm neutral. It makes a huge difference if you are someone who likes warm tones or cool tones.

Here is my "Muslin" last night.

ts_IMG_8762.jpg

Here is the paint chips i was working with - the scan on my computer isn't showing ht emuslin the right color, but it's a start! LOL!

Picture%20178_1.png

I have a stack of paint chips here about an inch high - but i had a friend give me names and that was a place to start. See the Apple Muffin thing in the picture? i bought that - painted it and hated it (i listed to DD), it was too yellow for this room by a long shot! LOL!!

I love standing at the paint chip display :D

I am not a blue fan here, so I would try to tone down the blue with a tan color.

But do you have favorite comforter or spread you dont' want to part with?? Is there a color in there you can accent??

Step away from the pink and blue color schemee.....that is very outdated..

Tan and Blue is current, but again, check your bedding if you are not going to replace them..find a color in there you love.

If you have to hold up the bedding to the paint to see if it matches, it;s not the right color to accent.

You should be drawn to the color you want to bring out.

What sweet kids you have! Most important, pick what YOU like, it's your room and know one knows best what you like! But since you asked, here's what I'd do:

Blue (your carpet) is a "cool" color. So, I'd recommend going with a warm color on your walls. If you add a cool color on your walls (mainly blues or greens or whites, or with those undertones) you risk having the room feel too cold (not what most people care for, especially in a bedroom). Depending on your furniture and bedding you might be able to pull it off, but to be safe I'd go with a "warm" color. Ask someone at the paint center to point you towards the "warm" vs. "cool" shades, pick a few that appeal to you and go home and tape them up for a few days. Another trick, is to get just a quart to try out, and paint a large piece of cardboard and live with it taped on your wall for a few days. I'd personally go with something neutral and understated as well, because the royal blue carpet is pretty bold. If your carpet is "bright" I'd go very neutral, if it's more muted, you could go slightly more bold. I'd maybe try a very soft, warm gold, and then add "subtle" accessories to pull the blue up and tie it in to the rest of the room.

HTH, good luck! :D

My teens are going to pitch in to buy paint and redo my bedroom after the holidays. The carpet is royal blue, which we can't afford to change, so what color would you paint the walls?

Thanks!

If you're in the market for warm neutral (mocha tans), definitely try this one! Of all the colors I've used in my home, this is one of my absolute favorites. It looks absolutely terrific with outdoor colors (forest greens, autumn colors, etc as well as our sedona orange accent wall in our family room).

http://www.myperfectcolor.com/Match-of-Sherwin-Williams-SW6107-Nomadic-Desert-p/mpc0029978.htm

I would go with a light, soft dove grey or chalk color, and find a painting (consignment shops can be great for these) or print you like to tie in the colors. Accent with a rich colored throw blanket or other accessories. Choose your favorite color from the print. And try some combinations you wouldn't normally choose~ ie, find unique colors from objects you already have in the home and see how they look in your freshly painted room. (I like to squint my eyes a little when I try colors, and then step back from them. Yep, I'm weird!

Let us see how it comes out!

Cindy

We had a room that was painted in a cool, grayish beige. The room has very little natural light because an addition to the house cuts down on the direct sunlight this room receives. This room was always dark and gloomy until we painted a medium-dark, bright blue on the walls. The new color is much darker, yet it's bright enough that it really brightened up the room.

I'm not suggesting you paint bright blue on the walls to go with your royal blue carpet :w00t:, but without a lot of natural light, you may want to avoid grayish colors. The warm shades that are being discussed here sound like they will work very well.

If you get paint chips to lay on the floor or paint a sample piece of cardboard, make sure you try it in different areas of the room and at different times of day and night. In our previous house we had a beige color on the walls of our bedroom (with gray carpet--yuck), that at certain times of day looked peach to me.

But do you have favorite comforter or spread you dont' want to part with?? Is there a color in there you can accent??

If you have to hold up the bedding to the paint to see if it matches, it;s not the right color to accent.

You should be drawn to the color you want to bring out.

This is my first thought. It is much easier to find paint to go with a great quilt than it is to find a great quilt to match paint (and carpet).

I learned this lesson in the bathroom. Find a shower curtain first, then pick the paint. :001_smile:

If you're in the market for warm neutral (mocha tans), definitely try this one! Of all the colors I've used in my home, this is one of my absolute favorites. It looks absolutely terrific with outdoor colors (forest greens, autumn colors, etc as well as our sedona orange accent wall in our family room).

http://www.myperfectcolor.com/Match-of-Sherwin-Williams-SW6107-Nomadic-Desert-p/mpc0029978.htm

I really like that too! It's going to be to hard to decide LOL

I probably will end needing to update our bedding as it's pretty worn, so maybe I will try that before painting so I can match it up. I want something simple and inexpensive.

If you sew, you can just keep your old bedding, bring your paint chips to the fabric store and match them to some fabric to sew a duvet and curtains to match :) ! (If the carpet is royal blue, and you go w/the browns, a gold and brown w/blue in the pattern would be stunning!)

We just finished painting our bedroom this weekend. I am in love with it. It's by Behr paint and it's called Sand Stone Cove. You can get the paint at Home Depot or the swatch there and get it wherever you'd like. It's a very light mocha color- very light.