Menu

CLE Pre-Algebra Questions

My son is going to begin Shormann Algebra I in the fall for 9th grade.  He did CLE 700 and is in 805 right now.  Is it necessary to finish the 800 series to begin Algebra 1?  I've read both 700 and 800 are considered pre-algebra and the student needs to do both, I've read 800 isn't necessary, and I've read doing part of 800 is enough?  I'm confused.  Is 700 pre-algebra?  Is 800 a mix of algebra 1, geometry, and consumer math?  Can someone help me with this?  

Edited by RubyPenn

I just happened to look at the scope and sequence of those two today. They are pretty different. 800 definitely seems like a step up from 700 to me. 700 seems to finish up the basics and 800 is pre-algebra, etc. I was going to try to combine the two this year, but I don't think the way I had it planned would work without it being a disservice to DD.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/prod-clp-files/public/documents/7468/original/2019_Elementary_Scope_and_Sequence.pdf

DD17 did 700 and 800 before algebra, but it's been too many years now for me to remember clearly whether she reached the very end of 800 or not. (Also, DH was helping her with math those years, so I was less involved). I will say that she was well prepared for algebra in 9th grade when she switched to brick and mortar school. And I was not always sure that she would be, because math was hard for her.

Can your son do some math over the summer? Long breaks are not always good for retention, anyway. If you go through the last books but skip the tests and quizzes, you can save a bunch of time. And you can also move more quickly if you combine lessons. Do two days' worth of the new material daily but only one of the review sections. This allows you to get through two lessons per day without spending twice the time. With these time saving strategies, he can cover all of the material in less than half of the time.

I wouldn't say that this is the preferrable way in general, but it allows him to be exposed to all of the teaching in the remainder of the program in a much shorter period of time. Which seems better than just skipping it.

40 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

DD17 did 700 and 800 before algebra, but it's been too many years now for me to remember clearly whether she reached the very end of 800 or not. (Also, DH was helping her with math those years, so I was less involved). I will say that she was well prepared for algebra in 9th grade when she switched to brick and mortar school. And I was not always sure that she would be, because math was hard for her.

Can your son do some math over the summer? Long breaks are not always good for retention, anyway. If you go through the last books but skip the tests and quizzes, you can save a bunch of time. And you can also move more quickly if you combine lessons. Do two days' worth of the new material daily but only one of the review sections. This allows you to get through two lessons per day without spending twice the time. With these time saving strategies, he can cover all of the material in less than half of the time.

I wouldn't say that this is the preferrable way in general, but it allows him to be exposed to all of the teaching in the remainder of the program in a much shorter period of time. Which seems better than just skipping it.

I would do the above: work through the summer, skipping tests and quizzes and doubling up if necessary.

1 hour ago, Storygirl said:

Yes, we are doing exactly what you suggested, except for skipping quizzes and tests.  I am just pretty confused about how much is absolutely necessary to begin algebra because some say getting to 804 is enough and some say getting through 710 is enough to be ready.  We are trying to squish two years of pre-algebra into one so I would like to eliminate whatever we can.

I'd look at it like this: A student who completes 710 is prepared to start algebra, imo. A student who completes 804 is better prepared... And a student who completes 810 is even better prepared...

If your student is doing well with CLE and understanding the math, I'd be perfectly comfortable calling it a year after 805. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TracyP said:

I'd look at it like this: A student who completes 710 is prepared to start algebra, imo. A student who completes 804 is better prepared... And a student who completes 810 is even better prepared...

If your student is doing well with CLE and understanding the math, I'd be perfectly comfortable calling it a year after 805. 

Thank you!  This is the kind of information I'm looking for.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TracyP said:

For a mom with a child about to complete CLE Math 805 and would like to start Algebra 1 in August, this is a helpful perspective.  Thank you! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, aaplank said:

My son started Algebra 1 after CLE 804 and had no problems whatsoever.  I wanted to combine all of of 7th and 8th grade together in one year, skipping tests and quizzes, but we ran out of time. It is a worthwhile endeavor, IMO. 

So good to hear.  Thanks for responding.  

• Like 1