Menu

Ice cream makers?

MEmama

DH says he wants an ice cream maker so he can make low(ER) carb ice creams, so we are thinking of getting him one for Father's Day. However, all I'm finding are humongous 1.5 and 2 quart sizes--does anyone know of a small one?

He would only want to make a small amount at a time because it would probably only be him eating it, and since we have the worlds smallest and overstuffed freezer in the world, we literally don't have space for chilling a large bowl. 

Does anyone have a recommendation? 

I should add that it really needs to be easy to use. 

The thread started a few weeks ago had Someone  mention the pan type.  

I ordered the 2 quart type (Cuisinart) because some comments on the 1.5 mentioned needing to be careful about contents spilling over the top.  

It’s Arriving tomorrow supposedly 

Less mess is worth a lot to me right now.  🤞🏼

I assume I can make less amount in the big one or more amount less frequently.   I also assume the 2qt container won’t need to be in freezer all the time, just the 24 hours prior to use after which it can store with the rest of machine.  I think I’ll end up getting a lot of summer use from it Making frozen fruit type things in addition to relatively healthier ice cream.  

• Like 1

I've been using my Donvier half-pint for 30+ years. I think it's only available now used; the one I linked is still in the original packaging, though.

This model makes a single cup serving at a time, and you only need to store the small inner cylinder in the freezer. Take it out, add your ingredients, turn the crank, and it's ready in 10-15 minutes. No mess! Lately I've been enjoying plain Greek yogurt with berries, but you can be as creative as you like.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pen said:

The thread started a few weeks ago had Someone  mention the pan type.  

I ordered the 2 quart type (Cuisinart) because some comments on the 1.5 mentioned needing to be careful about contents spilling over the top.  

It’s Arriving tomorrow supposedly 

Less mess is worth a lot to me right now.  🤞🏼

I assume I can make less amount in the big one or more amount less frequently.   I also assume the 2qt container won’t need to be in freezer all the time, just the 24 hours prior to use after which it can store with the rest of machine.  I think I’ll end up getting a lot of summer use from it Making frozen fruit type things in addition to relatively healthier ice cream.  

We have the 1.5 quart and you can adjust the amounts easily if you want less. Once the bowl is frozen and you take it out you have to be quick - also be careful of freezer burns. You may have to wait until the next day to make a different batch of ice cream since it would be hard to wash the bowl out and reuse without losing the optimal freezing temp.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kathy in Richmond said:

I've been using my Donvier half-pint for 30+ years. I think it's only available now used; the one I linked is still in the original packaging, though.

This model makes a single cup serving at a time, and you only need to store the small inner cylinder in the freezer. Take it out, add your ingredients, turn the crank, and it's ready in 10-15 minutes. No mess! Lately I've been enjoying plain Greek yogurt with berries, but you can be as creative as you like.

This sounds like the perfect size. I opted for the pan, but looking used is a good idea. 

14 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

I donated my ice cream because it was taking too much room in the freezer and was loud and slow.

Can we use oat milk with the ice cream pan? Dd's friends have dairy allergy. 

I have successfully made coconut ice cream and almond ice cream. I didn't even know there was such thing as oat milk, but I would assume so.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Slache said:

I have successfully made coconut ice cream and almond ice cream. I didn't even know there was such thing as oat milk, but I would assume so.

DH is allergic to coconut (another reason for wanting to make his own, since it's so hard to find coconut free ice cream anymore), but I know he will want to try almond. Did you just use regular almond milk?

I'm curious about oat milk too, whether it has enough fat in it.

8 minutes ago, MEmama said:

DH is allergic to coconut (another reason for wanting to make his own, since it's so hard to find coconut free ice cream anymore), but I know he will want to try almond. Did you just use regular almond milk?

I'm curious about oat milk too, whether it has enough fat in it.

Yes. It was probably vanilla. I think we put strawberries in it?

• Like 1