Menu

Rec. best way to practice Accuplacer algebra?

Hi Everyone,

My two sons, 16, will take the Accuplacer to get into community college -- as Dual Enrollment students.

Can you recommend what links have awesome ways to study for the test -- both math and algebra sections?

Huge thank yous!

Alley

There are some free online practice questions so you can get a feel for it. It's really very elementary algebra. I'd just use Khan's Algebra I practice to work on it.

By the way, check and see what they need on it. Some CC's seem to require that students take it, but not that they get a certain score.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 1

They are 16 so I assume they've completed Algebra 1 and 2...they should be fine..to "get into" community college you generally don't need any particular score.  The math test will instead place your student in remedial classes, or for-credit classes anywhere from Elementary Algebra all the way to Calculus...(it's not pass or fail) 

So, they don't need to study.  Their actual math education will determine what they're actually ready for...

• Thanks 1

My dd just did this a few weeks ago.   

She had to get a certain score in certain sections to test out of the remedial classes, which at our CC you can't take as a DE student.   I  would encourage you to find out your CC's specific policies.

We had her practice with the college board accuplacer app, and she just went to Khan academy and looked up anything she was having trouble with.   She didn't put that much time or effort into it.   I just wanted her to do enough to refresh her memory.  FWIW, she hasn't taken Algebra 2 yet.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Calming Tea said:

They are 16 so I assume they've completed Algebra 1 and 2...they should be fine..to "get into" community college you generally don't need any particular score.  The math test will instead place your student in remedial classes, or for-credit classes anywhere from Elementary Algebra all the way to Calculus...(it's not pass or fail) 

So, they don't need to study.  Their actual math education will determine what they're actually ready for...

Thank you Calming, but they do need to pass an Accuplacer test. I'm only adding this b/c I don't want future readers to misunderstand. They'll have four sections that they have to pass: two reading comprehension, one math and one algebra.

If they don't pass a section, they can re-take the section in two weeks, but if they don't pass that one they're out.

Again, this is for Dual Enrollment (meaning our State is picking up the cost). I don't know how it works for "regular" junior college people.

I went to JC before finishing at a four-year and I think you're right if nobody -- like the State -- is paying.

Basically if the State is picking up the tab, they want "good" students. . . students who can pass the Accuplacer.

Alley

• Like 2

Accuplacer Practice App
Test Guide: free online math quizzes from a bank of past Accuplacer test questions
Accuplacer Next Gen sample math test questions:
   Arthimetic
   Quantitive Reasoning, Algebra, Statistics
   Advanced Algebra and Functions
Union Test Prep: Free Accuplacer Practice Tests (may be the same "Next Gen" tests as the above)

Don't know if there's anything to specifically help with practicing Algebra on the Accuplacer test, but these past threads are linked on PAGE 2 of the "High School Motherlode", which is pinned at the top of the high school board:

COMPASS / ACCUPLACER  (College Placement Tests)
Should I put DDS Compass scores on her transcript in addition to ACT?
Will ACT prep books help for Compass Placement Test?
Accuplacer experience?
Ideas on how to review for college placement test (Compass or Accuplacer)

Edited by Lori D.

Yes, at cc’s here students under 16 applying for special exceptions to enroll apparently have to score very well. The Accuplacer is usually only for placement for regular students but it can be a gatekeeper for dual enrollment.

18 hours ago, Alicia64 said:

Thank you Calming, but they do need to pass an Accuplacer test. I'm only adding this b/c I don't want future readers to misunderstand. They'll have four sections that they have to pass: two reading comprehension, one math and one algebra.

If they don't pass a section, they can re-take the section in two weeks, but if they don't pass that one they're out.

Again, this is for Dual Enrollment (meaning our State is picking up the cost). I don't know how it works for "regular" junior college people.

I went to JC before finishing at a four-year and I think you're right if nobody -- like the State -- is paying.

Basically if the State is picking up the tab, they want "good" students. . . students who can pass the Accuplacer.

Alley

Sorry, I guess I stand corrected. Here we dual enrolled and my dd did not have to pass, she would have just been placed into rememedial math. As a regular high schooler she could not take rememdial math, they’d send her to the high school for that. As a homeschooler she could take it if she had needed it.

i feel the accuplacer is pretty easy- my dd had only finished Algebra 1 plus a few extra topics at Mathnasium and placed right into preCalculus which is the second level of for-credit math. 

I guess studying can’t hurt, if you’re worried about it ! 

• 1 month later...

PLATO Courseware has ACCUPLACER prep courses.  We had access to PLATO for other subject matter and were pleasantly surprised when we noticed ACCUPLACER was in there too.  Because she wanted to take the test by a certain date, my 10th grader flew through the PLATO stuff in a few weeks (didn’t finish).  She scored very well on all sections, including maxing out her scores on the two math sections.  She said PLATO was very helpful for review, but she’s a strong math student to start with.  Ideally a student would want at least a few months of study time to go through all that PLATO offers.

Edited by Pikaia