Menu

Will ACT Prep Books Help for Compass Placement Test?

Crimson Wife

Depending on the results of the CA High School Proficiency Exam, my oldest (turns 14 in October) might start dual enrollment at the community college this fall. She's definitely ready for humanities, foreign language, and social science classes but not STEM ones.

For admission purposes, she'd be required to take the COMPASS placement test. I see that ACT is the one that designed the COMPASS. Does anybody know if ACT prep books (which DD should go through at some point in the near future regardless) would help her prepare for the COMPASS?

Even though ACT puts out both tests, the ACT and Compass are different-enough tests with different purposes that the ACT prep books would not be substantially helpful for the Compass.

The Compass tests Reading, Writing and Math. A student can score below the community college's minimal required score in Math, but if scoring above the required scores in Reading and Writing the student can still take any dual enrollment courses that only have Reading and Writing score requirements. So, I would guess that if your DD is ready for the Humanities and Foreign Language, she'll score well for the Reading and Writing, which is all she would need for taking Humanities or Foreign Language as dual enrollment.

A low Math score on the Compass would just mean she wouldn't be able to take some Math courses or, some Science courses which require a specific Math as pre-requisite -- it would NOT prevent her from taking Humanities and Foreign Language courses. Since it sounds like you're not planning on doing any STEM courses as dual enrollment at this time, you should be fine. DD can re-test later on (there's usually a few months of wait-time required between re-tests) when she has more Math under her belt, if you decide to try any STEM courses in future years.

Side Note:

Since the Compass scores are for determining readiness for specific courses, you DO want an accurate placement score, as you don't want the student placed artificially high through a lot of test prep and then flounder in the actual course.

However, if the student doesn't test well or has text anxiety, then a relaxed practice test can be helpful.

Also, it's very helpful to explain in advance to the student how the Compass works -- that the student will NOT know all the answers and will start getting a number of them wrong, at which point the testing stops. That is okay! That is way the test is designed -- to start below the student's ability level, and increase in difficulty to the point that the student WILL miss a number of questions, which shows that it is material the student is not familiar with. The only way to assess the student's working level to know if the student will succeed at specific class levels is to see where the student's knowledge base runs out. Perfectionist students can become very agitated by wrong answers and not knowing the material, so letting them know in advance that this is what WILL happen and that it is OKAY and a GOOD thing can help reduce test stress.

For an anxious test-taker, you might look at the Mometrix Test Prep website for free Compass test practice. Here is an article from Mometrix/Test Prep Review of the "break down" of what is on the Compass test.

BEST of luck in your up-coming testing! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

You should clarify with the school what tests and what score is required before starting your test prep.

Are they doing English with an essay, or just multiple choice?

Is math required for all students? For us, the math section is only required if enrolling in a course where a math score is a prerequisite. My STEM kid took the math prior to enrolling, but my artist didn't take the math COMPASS until she had been at CC for a year and needed it.

Also dIfferent schools consider different scores passing

My CC website provided links to recommended test prep materials as well.

• Like 1

Nah.  The ACT is probably much more difficult.  My son took the Compass math portion at 13.  He scored high enough to take what he wanted at the CC.  He does well in math, but no is not a math genius.  I suspect the people who have the toughest time just have not looked at that stuff in awhile so probably he'll do fine. 

DS just took the Compass test on Friday. We had a Compass prep book published by Trivium Test Prep that was utterly worthless — there were so many wrong answers it was pathetic. The free practice questions on the ACT/Compass website proved much more useful and accurate (I assume they are from previous tests).

I'm not sure if this is the same at all schools, but where DS took it, the math section starts at Algebra (Beginning & Intermediate) and depending on how well the student does, it will drop down a level to Prealgebra or move up a level to College Algebra. It only goes as far as Trig — if the student passes Trig then they can start with Calculus.

The test is untimed, and you can take breaks any time you want, even in the middle of a section. It generally takes 2-3 hours, depending on how far the student gets with math. You can retake the whole thing or just one section, but you have to wait 30 days to retake, and you can only take it twice in a 3 yr period.

DS took all three sections at once, because the science classes he was interested in had prerequisites in all three areas. The CC should be able to give you a chart showing what test score is needed to test into or out of different courses (ours had it online).

Here are the free practice tests on the ACT/Compass site:
http://www.act.org/content/dam/act/unsecured/documents/writing.pdf
http://www.act.org/content/dam/act/unsecured/documents/reading.pdf
http://www.act.org/content/dam/act/unsecured/documents/numerical.pdf

ETA: I just noticed you said your DD is not ready for STEM classes. In that case, I would postpone taking the math section if a certain level of math is not required for the courses she wants. Since you can only retake it once in 3 yrs, you'd want to wait until she's at roughly the level where you'd want her to start at CC (if you want her to take math & science classes there). FWIW, most of the nonmajors science classes at our CC had the equivalent of Algebra 2 as a prerequisite.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 2

A low Math score on the Compass would just mean she wouldn't be able to take some Math courses or, some Science courses which require a specific Math as pre-requisite -- it would NOT prevent her from taking Humanities and Foreign Language courses. Since it sounds like you're not planning on doing any STEM courses as dual enrollment at this time, you should be fine. DD can re-test later on (there's usually a few months of wait-time required between re-tests) when she has more Math under her belt, if you decide to try any STEM courses in future years.

As a dual-enrolled student she can't take any math course considered "remedial" and as she hasn't yet taken Algebra II, that means she won't be eligible to take any CC math courses until she's ready for College Algebra (I'm guessing at least a year from now). She still has to take the math portion of the COMPASS, however.

Actually, it looks like the CC is now offering the Statway sequence. That would actually be a good option for DD if they'd let her enroll since in 2 semesters it would cover Intermediate Algebra and basic statistics. It's transferable to UC/CSU in non-STEM majors, or she could continue on to Trig & Pre-Calc if she decided that she wanted to go into a STEM field (don't think that is super-likely but she's young).

At DS's CC (same region as yours probably), he could have chosen to take the placement tests on different days. In that case, she might prefer taking the Reading and Writing test first followed by the Math test when she is more comfortable?

• Like 2

The test is untimed, and you can take breaks any time you want, even in the middle of a section. It generally takes 2-3 hours, depending on how far the student gets with math. You can retake the whole thing or just one section, but you have to wait 30 days to retake, and you can only take it twice in a 3 yr period.

Note that retest policies vary by CC. Ours was two tests in a term. You can try the English one a third time if you wait one term. Then, your best English score "sticks" for two years, math score "sticks" for one year before you can try to improve them again.

• Like 1

Note that retest policies vary by CC. Ours was two tests in a term. You can try the English one a third time if you wait one term. Then, your best English score "sticks" for two years, math score "sticks" for one year before you can try to improve them again.

Oh wow, that's good to know. The guy at the testing center here made it sound like those rules were set by ACT/Compass. I thought it was pretty harsh to only allow one retake in 3 years!

• Like 1

IIRC, dd had the option of 3 retakes per semester. She did great in English but struggled with the math. Although she gets A's in math classes, she doesn't retain the information very well at all. She tried twice and couldn't get anywhere near the score she needed, so we spoke with the Dean and he approved her to try the College Algebra course without the requisite Compass score, but did require her to sign up for a tutor right away. She aced the class, but did need the tutor to help her refresh her understanding of several concepts. Now that she is back up to speed with math (she hadn't taken it for about 18 months before the Compass test), she has now been requested to tutor others.

As an alternative view, has she taken the ACT yet?  They should be able to use the ACT scores for placement in place of the Compass.

Our personal experience has been this :  The Compass is good at determining a specific scope and sequence has been covered and learned but the ACT gives a more accurate gauge of overall knowledge and ability.

The Compass is going to give you scores in Pre-Algebra, Algebra, and College Algebra, if you get that far.  If you have not covered something and miss a few questions, the test will shut off and stop tallying.  That will be your score.

Because the ACT is timed and you will (ideally) get to complete the test and they will only note the ones you do not get correct, you will get a clearer overall picture of the child's strengths and weaknesses.   The college has an alternate placement for ACTs.

Let me give you an example.

DS used the curriculum the college uses for Intermediate Algebra (Hawkes.) He passed it with no issues - A.  However, he still didn't quite squeak into their College Algebra placement.  We figure he had a gap and the computer shut off rather than giving him the range of questions.

So, in order to make him not have to retake a course he did just fine in (we took it privately, not through the college so it didn't satisfy the pre-req, it was considered remedial and wouldn't be covered by DE $$ through the school system) we decided to have him take the ACT.

ACT places him (higher) in Trig, Stats, or College Algebra.  We opted for College Algebra to give him a strong foundation.

Personally, I also feel that the ACT *can* give you a false sense of confidence - suggesting you take a class in which you have not first covered the basics.

So, my thoughts are that if you have a strong math student and feel the placement isn't quite correct from the Compass then consider using the ACT for placement.

If you have a weak math student, then I think the Compass should be used and then take all pre-requisites to determine success.

So this is a longer answer than you asked for - but the ACT and the Compass are *very* different tests.  I've taken both in the past six months.  The Compass is on the computer.  It has far fewer questions.  It is very important to know how to arrive at the correct answer and get the correct answer to move forward.  It will continuously get harder.  I found it frustrating compared to the ACT.  I suspect if you daughter is only 13 and is not a mathy kid, she might find the Compass test frustrating as well.  I think I'd just make sure she isn't rusty at Math when she takes it ( for example if she's taking it at the end of August) but it isn't quite the same.  Some  techniques still apply - it is, after all, a multiple choice test.  So she should know basic MC test taking skills such as knocking out the improbables if she cannot work the problem and choosing the most likely correct answer. 

Another option (but incredibly frustrating if she isn't mathy) is to do your college's pre-req to the class she is hoping to get into.  For example, my student wanted to take College Algebra with Finite Limits.  The pre-requisite is Intermediate Algebra.  By looking through the online catalog, I can see that Intermediate Algebra is offered as an online option.  What curriculum does it use?  It uses Hawkes Learning System.  The course there is $100 with "lifetime" access.  So we had him work through that course in preparation for the Compass because it was the pre-req. course.  Now, that can still backfire.  It did with us, however, for ME, it did move my score.  For DS it did not.

ETA: And I apologize, because I know this is more information than you were asking for, but because we have dealt recently with placement in math courses AND hiccups with Compass providing accurate placement, I feel that all of these pieces are relevant parts to the puzzle.  Disregard anything that isn't useful to you! ;)

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Like 1

Does she have to take it, or does she have to pass it? If it's the latter, figure out what topics she needs to pass and then use edready.org.

She has to take it, not pass it (many students at the CC don't & they get placed into remedial math). She can re-take it later on but there is a waiting period. The proper math placement for her is Algebra 2/Intermediate Algebra, which is considered a remedial course at the CC (though obviously not remedial for a 14 y.o. dual-enrolled student). She like statistics but doesn't care all that much for algebra so if they'll let her enroll in Statway & have that sequence satisfy the college's math requirement, she would definitely prefer that.

• Like 1

She has to take it, not pass it (many students at the CC don't & they get placed into remedial math). She can re-take it later on but there is a waiting period. The proper math placement for her is Algebra 2/Intermediate Algebra, which is considered a remedial course at the CC (though obviously not remedial for a 14 y.o. dual-enrolled student). She like statistics but doesn't care all that much for algebra so if they'll let her enroll in Statway & have that sequence satisfy the college's math requirement, she would definitely prefer that.

So, essentially, you believe that she would test into the Intermediate Algebra class.  What is the score needed for Statway?  They should have a little chart showing where each score on Compass places a student.  For some classes there will be multiple scores - such as a minimum score in Algebra and a minimum score in College Algebra.  

Frankly, I would make a quick phone call and discuss this with whomever is in charge of Dual Enrollment students at the college.  While we also have a time requirement between Compass tests, it is able to be waived.  So, for example, if you talk to them and they are willing to do so, I'd do a cold test tomorrow.  Tell them you would like to get a good feel for her current score so that you can "teach to the test" this summer, as you are a homeschooler, and then have her take a second Compass in late August before the deadline for enrollment or changing/switching classes.  Ask if they are willing to waive the time requirement so that she can test again after working this summer.

Take the test cold and see how far she needs to "move" to meet the requirement for the Statway.  If she's already there -great.  If not, I'd ask what materials they use to complete the Intermediate Algebra course (if that's what she tests into) and see if she can do it over the summer, picking and choosing what to study based on whatever she has already covered and then retest.  The biggest issue is that Compass is just *so much* a scope and sequence test that it is less accurate, IMO, for homeschoolers who may have studied subjects, but out of sequence, kwim?  My supervising teacher also had this issue with her youngest son and did the same thing we did, used the ACT to place into the class they wanted.

However, the problem you're up against there is that there isn't another ACT test until after the deadline for classes to begin if you wanted her to take September classes.  

...We had a Compass prep book published by Trivium Test Prep that was utterly worthless — there were so many wrong answers it was pathetic. The free practice questions on the ACT/Compass website proved much more useful and accurate (I assume they are from previous tests).

I'm not sure if this is the same at all schools, but where DS took it, the math section starts at Algebra (Beginning & Intermediate) and depending on how well the student does, it will drop down a level to Prealgebra or move up a level to College Algebra. It only goes as far as Trig — if the student passes Trig then they can start with Calculus.

The test is untimed, and you can take breaks any time you want, even in the middle of a section. It generally takes 2-3 hours, depending on how far the student gets with math...

Here are the free practice tests on the ACT/Compass site:
http://www.act.org/content/dam/act/unsecured/documents/writing.pdf
http://www.act.org/content/dam/act/unsecured/documents/reading.pdf
http://www.act.org/content/dam/act/unsecured/documents/numerical.pdf

Very helpful -- great specific test info Corraleno! Thanks for providing that! :)

Another prep possibility: our local CC provides downloadable pdf files of the specific practice tests for the Compass, so original poster might also want to check her CC's website for the specific assessment prep tests.

...I'm not sure if this is the same at all schools, but where DS took it...You can retake the whole thing or just one section, but you have to wait 30 days to retake, and you can only take it twice in a 3 yr period...

...I would postpone taking the math section if a certain level of math is not required for the courses she wants. Since you can only retake it once in 3 yrs, you'd want to wait until she's at roughly the level where you'd want her to start at CC (if you want her to take math & science classes there)...

Yes, these policies varies from school to school, so original poster would need to check her school's specific testing policies to know what their options are. For example, our local CC requires testing in all three areas at the same testing session, regardless of what courses the student is interested in. And the CC allows re-testing much closer together and up to three times total.

+1 on calling your particular CC to understand what you need to do/show to pass the tests. The Compass is administered differently (subtests used, scores required, retest policies) at different campuses. Some folks are suggesting alternate tests: my CC wouldn't use ACT or SAT scores, but yours might. But really the Compass is not that bad, really. And what is the worst that could happen in your case? Is the retest policy so bad that "fail the math now, retake the term before she enrolls in Statway" not an option?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Coming back to this question...In December, my DS14 took the Accuplacer which is now the placement test for our CC. He scored low in Reading. The Enrollment Advisor recommended that he do ACT Reading prep. DS worked through our prep book and a couple of Reading tests over the break. Last week he retook the Accuplacer and jump one whole Reading class and is set to take regular CC clasees.

• Like 3

Updating on my DD's situation since this thread was resurrected. She ended up taking the STATWAY sequence for her math and that had a different placement test than the Compass. I think she did the English portion of it but as she placed into the highest level Freshman English course (as expected since that's her strongest subject), I didn't bother to review her placement test results.

• Like 2